Opposition to Wisconsin’s Barbaric Wolf Killing Season Continues

26 May

If it is illegal to use a dog to kill a wild animal, why has hounding been further expanded to include wolves?

Yesterday, an article appeared on the Wisconsin State Journal’s website from Professor Ron Seely who writes a blog for the paper titled “Seely on Science.” Seely has an excellent commentary about the wolf kill bill and points out that lack of scientific input in the process and the barbaric methods by which wolves will be killed. The DNR even admits their lack of a role in how this bill was written:

“Under questioning by board member Christine Thomas, a professor and dean of resource management at UW-Stevens Point, an uncomfortable Kurt Thiede, agency administrator of land, admitted that the agency has a fairly limited role in setting up the hunt.

Set in stone by legislative action and not subject to change by the DNR are some of the most controversial — even among noted wolf biologists — details of how wolves will be killed. These include the five-month season (extending into breeding season), the use of bait, night hunting, the use of dogs, and trapping.

“The board has a limited role here,” said Chairman Dave Clausen. “This is pretty much the Legislature’s bill. The Legislature is driving this thing completely. They are in the driver’s seat on this.”

So why even have a Natural Resources Board if bear hounder shill like Scott Suder and his ilk can make laws that are “set in stone?”

Wisconsin citizens should be absolutely horrified and embarrassed at what this state wants to perpetrate on a species that is less than four months removed from the endangered species list. Along with the already legal act of using hounds against coyotes, wolves will now be subjected to the same treatment. It is illegal to allow domestic dogs to fight other dogs, but perfectly acceptable to allow packs of vicious hounds to go after coyotes and wolves? What the hell is wrong with this state? Under Wisconsin law it is illegal to use dogs to kill a wild animal. If that is the case then why are packs of vicious dogs allowed to run free in the woods to go after wild animals. Does anyone believes that these killer dogs do not and have not killed coyotes, bears, raccoons, and other wild animals? I wonder how many hounders have been prosecuted for this? I would bet few to none. Michael Vick should move to Wisconsin because he would fit right in here along with the other sadists who love to pit canines against each other.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/science/article_42b70956-1239-11e1-a0b8-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1vzyrPX2uSeely on Science: Politics and wolves and a hunt in search of reason

16 responses to “Opposition to Wisconsin’s Barbaric Wolf Killing Season Continues

1. Roger Hewitt

May 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I have an epidemic of barbaric responses to wolves by sportsmen and and mostly republican/conservative legislators spreading from state to state set off by political delisting of the wolf. These people are doing what they do against logic, science, any kind of reason violating any kind of ethical principles of fair chase and limited seasons. They are locked into marginalizing wolf populations, sending them to the edge of threatened or endangered again. Talking to them is like talking to your shoelaces.

May 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm

You knew something was wrong when Adrian was silenced and you got the impression he was in fear of losing his job if he spoke up against this bill. There is absolutely nothing in this wolf bill that even remotely resembles fair chase principles. In fact, the only thing that’s missing is poison. There is something for every other type of thrill killer…..Trapping, Snaring, Baiting, electronic call signals, night hunting, and FU^&ING hounds……The worst of the worst. I have nightmares even thinking of these confrontations between wolves and dogs. Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea- SLOB HOUNDERS.
    It is stunning to read Clausen say this is the Legislators BILL. We must hold them accountable

May 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

rali, I’m going to borrow some of your words for fb and the Monroe Times blog and letter to the editor. Would someone be willing to write to the State Journal? I had read some where on line that Wisconsinites won’t be hit in the head with this until they see the dead bodies.
    If you want to make farmers foam at the mouth write to the Country Today. They’re out of Eau Claire. I took that paper until I quit the sheep business. Too much hunting for me.

May 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Absolutely. Please use what ever you need to. Contrary to what the hunters who attempt to post here believe, everything here is backed up by documented facts. They just do not like it because it doesn’t match their version of “facts” that the NRA, George Meyer, and the bear hounders are feeding them.

4. Roger Hewitt

May 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I have been wondering for about 4 years now: Is there something wrong with the Republican Mind. I concluded that they operate more from a belief system that a thinking system; and I have now come to the conclusion that the following minds think the same way: Sportsmen/hunters, ranchers, farmers, USFWS, USDA Wildlife Services, Montana-Wyoming-Idaho elected officials regardless of party (Montana senators democratic in name not practice for instance), and state wildlife agencies, and repubicans.

The key to changing the wildlife agencies is a multifaceted approach: Find some legislators to take up causes of shake-ups in personnel and management and policy of the wildlife agencies (kill, kill wildlife for sportsmen and ranchers and farmers), awareness, attach hunting and trapping directly, lawsuits. We have to hit them in the mouth and sway the sway-able.

The Science of Fox News: Why Its Viewers are the Most Misinformed
    By Chris Mooney, AlterNet
    Posted on April 8, 2012, Printed on April 13, 2012

The Republican Brain: Why Even Educated Conservatives Deny Science — and Reality
    By Chris Mooney, AlterNet

May 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Roger,

Unfortunately, it is not just Republicans who buy into this garbage. When we had the wolf kill bill voted on here in Wisconsin several Democrats voted for it. Even a female Senator who represents the inner city of Milwaukee. Apparently it makes you “un-American” if you don’t buy into the mantra of “killing is conservation” here in Wisconsin. On the Ed Schultz show the other night he even made the comment that deer hunting is a “religion” in Wisconsin. And my fellow residents just do not understand why much of the country views us a backwoods hicks. Most believe that the rest of the country is laughing with us, not at us. Is it any surprise that this state produced the likes of Ed Gein, Joe McCarthy, and became Jeff Dahmer’s killing ground?

• Sandra McGee

May 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

They have brains that are wired differently ~ & I’m being serious. I believe there was a study done on conservatives & liberals. It was shown that each group (lib. & conservative) had differences in the brain.

• Chris

May 31, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Well, perhaps there is, or perhaps there’s not, regardless, this barbarity was brought about by the simpleton in the white house, who gave the green light to “his” interior secretary to go out and let em be killed in exchange for votes! The delisting comes to you courtesy of the democratic party, they slipped it into a budgetary bill, done to prove to the ranch lobby, that they are “killers” too!

You did know that, didn’t you?

5. Animal Connection

May 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Reblogged this on Animal Connection.

May 26, 2012 at 8:34 pm

rali- checked on Country Today and they had a news blip that Gander Mountain backed out of a NRA sponsored rally for Walker. Reason – the other voice. Good for them. NRA is getting kicked in the butt lately.

May 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm

My wife and I had to purchase some hiking supplies from one of their stores near Madison for our U.P. trip. I had to hold my nose to make a purchase there. I don’t feel so guilty now, but it still isn’t a place that I like to frequent.

• Sandra McGee

May 26, 2012 at 10:53 pm

W0W that is good news!

7. Sandra McGee

May 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I will do some research on it – & when I find something I’ll post it.

May 27, 2012 at 9:55 am

rali- Linda Camac is on again. This time about Coke Wallace. What a pathetic man this guy is. God will get him. Have a great week-end.

9. louisekane

May 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Keep up the good work Paul and Patricia
    thank you for bringing these issues to the public
    everyone keep bombarding the papers and legislators against this inhumane piece of legislation

10. Chris

May 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I live in the northern blue hills, I have hunted all of my life, I was raised by hunters, who in turn were raised by hunters, to look upon those who run packs of hounds after game, as being the equal of those that rape, and murder children! The bill that was passed into law, is the most despicable of acts, and everyone from Obama, to Walker has their fingerprints upon it! Five months, 24-hours a day, night vision equipment, electronic callers, and packs of GPS/spike/shock emitting collared wolf hounds? Why not just use helicopter gunships, and or predator drones Mr Walker?

I’ve come to despise you ranchers/farmers like nothing else in my experience, your greed, and murderous, corrupted spirits cannot depart this earth soon enough to satisfy me! My people have hated you ever since your murderous ancestors got here! And if I may offer a frank warning to all of you wannabe wolf killers, I will be out there this fall among you, I have been prepping for this potentiality for a year, I intend to video you murderous scum as you entertain yourselves this fall, I know every inch of the blue hills, and Chequemagon NF, I know where all of you blue hills wolf poaching ranchers live, and “we” know that you have the corrupt local LEA, and the state backing your play! We will act accordingly! You will not be allowed to do this again, you will be stopped, one way or another!