21 Feb

800px-Wikinews_Breaking_News

**UPDATE** Remember these are only allegations at this time, but they are backed up by some very serious statements from people with impeccable integrity. We will keep digging for more information, and update as more information becomes available. All of us are still trying to wrap our minds around this.

Yesterday we were made aware of some very disturbing information. According to multiple reliable sources, with direct links to the the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, a DNR employee or employees have given confidential research data regarding the precise GPS coordinates of wolf dens to wolf hunters/hounders/trappers. The sources are reluctant to go on the record with this information, but if true it would answer many questions about this past falls wolf killing season.

One of the most common questions asked during the wolf killing season last fall was, “how are they killing them so quickly?” I think that we may have found our answer. This revelation has led two two highly respected and well known wolf trackers to resign because much of the data allegedly given to wolf hunters/trappers/hounders, they gathered. If these allegations are indeed true, and I have no reason to doubt otherwise, the DNR has much to answer for. The unholy alliance between the Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association and the DNR is disturbing enough but the possibility that confidential research data compiled from dedicated volunteer winter trackers is being fed to these people is borderline criminal if true.

As expected the talking heads at the DNR are saying that these are just “rumors” and they have no knowledge that the data was given to wolf hunters/trappers/hounders. This is what one had to say today:

Thank you for writing. I have checked with my coworkers. We are aware that there is a rumor going around that DNR has provided someone with locations of all known wolf den sites. However, we have not heard of such a request and are not aware of sharing of any such data.

Scott Loomans
Wildlife Regulations Policy Specialist
Bureau of Wildlife Management
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
(*) phone: (608) 267-2452
(*) fax: (608) 267-7857
(*) e-mail: scott.loomans@wisconsin.gov

While the DNR may hope this “rumor” goes away we will keep digging up facts to confirm what we have been told. I must reiterate that this comes from MULTIPLE sources with direct ties to the DNR who are truly fearful of retaliation if it is known that they have spoken about this. If these allegations prove to be true they are likely criminal violations at both the state and federal level, according to several wildlife experts. Several wildlife advocates have also made the Humane Society of the United States aware of these allegations and they will be investigating as they prepare to move forward with their lawsuit.

These disturbing allegations, if verified, are just another example of how the current DNR administration, Governor, and Legislature have no intention of ethically “managing” wolves. Each day there are more and more examples of how extreme the DNR has become and how a select few in the killing cartels control not only the DNR, but the Legislature as well. Wisconsin has become a massive killing ground for a select few with no consideration given to the rest of us.

More to come……

Posted by on February 21, 2013 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

52 responses to “Multiple Sources: Wisconsin DNR Employee(s) Giving Wolf Hunters GPS Coordinates of Wolf Dens

1. Maureen

February 21, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Holy crap! When you said yesterday that you have huge news you weren’t kidding!

February 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Yup, I was skeptical at first, but several highly reliable people in the know brought this to our attention. There is even more, but we are holding that for later for good reasons.

2. Exposing the Big Game

February 21, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Reblogged this on Exposing the Big Game and commented:
    WTF?!

3. Brenda

February 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I useto beleive they really cared to save the wildlife we have left in this country. I look at the DNR with different eyes as well. This is so sad.

4. Diane

February 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm

The DNR-the agency that is supposed to protect animals from thrill killers seems to be a party to incredibly unscrupulous actions. Another example of the rampant corruption in WI politics.

• Renee Jake Littel

February 28, 2013 at 5:39 pm

oh for the love of god leave politics out of it unless you have heard otherwise. No where in this article does it say that there was a politician involved. The blame needs to go where the blame belongs. If you can only comment stupid then don’t comment at all.

• Renee Jake Littel

February 28, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Don’t get me wrong.. I am disgusted with this act as well, but unless the governor whispered in their ear to do this then only the employees are to blame. And then maybe we should blame society as well because we keep building and building taking land from our wildlife then complain because they are coming in to our communities and behaving like wild animals. Lets just keep taking land and building houses in towns that already have 180 empty houses… We can’t have it both ways people.

February 28, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Considering that Rep Scott Suder (R-ALEC) was the “author” of this bill and the NRA threatened lawsuits if wolves were not delisted I would say that politics on this state play a huge role. Walker even bragged at the NRA convention that he signed the wolf kill bill. Dems are spineless cowards in this state but the repubs were the ones behind it.

5. madisonagility@hotmail.com

February 21, 2013 at 9:04 pm

The DNR is and have always been bureaucrats pushing political agenda, never scientific experts. And when that agenda is written by and for people who want to use dogs to kill wolves, trophy hunting power lobbyists and the NRA, this is exactly what happens.

6. fromron

February 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Glaring mistake in one of your sentences. You used the words “Governor” and “ethically” in the same sentence!

• Sandie Abel

February 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

That’s the problem, fromron. And we wouldn’t have it if we had a real Governor instead of a Goobernator. Now what do we do?

7. Animal Connection

February 21, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Reblogged this on Animal Connection.

8. Kim Sellers Australia

February 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm

This just can’t go on – I keep coming back to the same sad question about this whole affair and that is why? Why do they want to hunt and kill this magestic animal? It is heartbreaking to hear this news. We must all fight harder. We must all stand united. We must all start taking a hard line in response to this.
    It cannot go on for the sake of the humane treatment of Wolves.
    Also, you can’t tell me that it’s only information about wolves they are giving out – I’d bet bears and cougers are on the list too!!

• Gail

February 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Why, Kim? Because they HATE the wolves … and all predators. They view them as competition. They kill as many as they are legally allowed (and more – it’s called “shoot, shovel and shut up”) if that explains it. They’re on that “dominion” power trip. Maybe it’s testosterone or a lack thereof. They love this and smile while the animals suffer. I truly believe our wildlife is on a collision course, thanks to state agencies that are entrusted to take care of the wild ones. Their only allegiance is to hunters and politicians who are “rewarded” by hunting lobby groups. We are all committed to making them accountable. I hope the HSUS takes them to task and that some heads will be rolling (out of jobs, just for the record).

• Terri Minnick

February 22, 2013 at 6:43 am

To make an effort to understand the mindset : a good read is …War Against the Wolf: America’s Campaign to Exterminate The Wolf” These wolf haters have been around for a LONG time …..A LOT of money has been spent since the 1800’s (when the ranchers first claimed our land as theirs) to rid the land of the all predators. They are a tough lot , the wolves and coyotes and they must prevail with our help. I sure would like to know who those DNR people are…..

• laina

February 22, 2013 at 9:43 am

Kim, The first sentence in my letter to the DNR reads:

I have one question on hunting wolves with dogs: Why?

So I’m with you. Gail probably answers the question pretty well.

9. Krys Smith

February 21, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Holy crap! Just terrible- and not at all surprising :( </3 thanks SO much for keeping us updated!

10. Elizabeth Roberts

February 21, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Well, I have EVERY INTENTION to bring up this subject at next Tuesday’s meeting~ I will DEMAND AN INVESTIGATION IMMEDIATELY!

11. Elizabeth Roberts

February 21, 2013 at 10:39 pm

That Wisconsin Bear Hunters organization must be EXPOSED TO THE MEDIA as the manipulative outfit that it is!

12. Jill

February 21, 2013 at 11:19 pm

This is outrageous! I am horrified to hear of this, yet not suprised, knowing the mentality of this group, which is evident from all their displays of lack of respect for these animals as well as displays of sheer hatred for them by some of the hunter fools who have made horrifying postings on hunter websites and YouTube. These fools should have their hunter rights taken away and their guns too!

For 2011/2012 being the first wolf hunting season for Wisconsin, I saw how quickly they got the
    “quota”, and have had my suspicions ever since! I’ve been monitoring the wolf hunting seasons for Idaho, and the rates they were making their kills.

Since Wisconsin got their quota so quickly, and now they already have preset targets for the coming season, there certainly shouldn’t be any need for any hunting or trapping within the State Park boundaries!

I hope HSUS throws the book at them! I recently became a member and pay dues monthly.
    So glad to see my funds at work here! With the huge take Wis. had last season, the wolves are still recovering. These hunts should not be every year. Give ‘em a break!

And how obvious is the fraud in regards to the “Missing Calves” payments for the last year! Up 300%
    from the previous year? They need to put a cap on these payments! Liars and cheaters!

• Gail

February 22, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Jill, wish I’d filed the article, but I think I read that the HSUS is going to incorporate this into their current efforts. I agee with you….we MUST financially support the big organizations that reflect our philosophies in regard to wildlife. They DO engage in tackling these issues and are often involved in litigation. Looks to me like this is one of the BEST way to fight off the demons.

February 21, 2013 at 11:29 pm

This makes me sick.

14. Dywane Brown

February 22, 2013 at 4:00 am

This reminds me of the scene in the film “That’s My Boy” near the end when the wedding guests find out about the bride-to-be’s relationship with her bother.

15. William huard

February 22, 2013 at 5:48 am

I’m afraid that the DNR in it’s current form is beyond hope. Wisconsin needs to focus on electing a Progressive like Russ feingold. The DNR and Cathy Stepp need to be replaced with ‘human beings’

16. Patricia Betty

February 22, 2013 at 7:17 am

I have just emailed Scott Loomans Will post his reply when it comes

17. Ossie Sharon

February 22, 2013 at 8:11 am

What is happening to this state? It was once a beacon of civilization in a cruel world. Now the unnecessary cat torture experiments, eroding of benefits for the disabled, this… What’s next?:(

• traeh79

February 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

One name …… Walker

18. Nancy

February 22, 2013 at 8:27 am

Criminal charges and lawsuits must fall on these people. Appealing to their “sensitivity” and decency falls on deaf ears. They either never possessed these or long ago forfeited them in favor of their sick fear of wolves and insane lust to watch them suffer and die.. Justice would be to equip them with collars and send them out unarmed to do the work of the unfortunate dogs they are training. As for those responsible for leaking the statistics on birthing den and pack locations;
    full prosecution must be served on the culprits.

19. Michael

February 22, 2013 at 9:34 am

This is what happens when the few in political power are in the back pockets of big money and special interests. You can bet that our beautiful state is in peril…at least the beautiful part. I feel sorry for the resort, hotel, restaurant, and other small businesses that depend on tourism for their livelihoods. Between this and the mining bill, I don’t see much of a future for them.

20. Sandy Smith

February 22, 2013 at 11:23 am

This is what happens when so many sit and think whats happening doesn’t effect them so who cares……Or another way they can look at it is “Get rid of the wolves and the sheeple will feel safe”. I say get rid of Walker and everyone will feel safe, people, sheeple and wolves.

February 22, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Jamie Vee- you are a maggot….

February 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Maggots are short right? Just like you moron

23. Elizabeth Roberts

February 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have written two of the DNR biologists reference these allegations who responded to me in the past about my wolf-hunting concerns. I advised both of them that things could get ugly for the agency – especially if the PRESS is notified about these (still unsubstantiated) rumors. Usually, I find that there’s some truth to every rumor…I will be attending Tuesday’s Board hearing to voice my opinions; I guarentee that in the 3 minutes I’m allotted to speak, I will be very clear and direct with the “facts”.

24. creekwaterwoman

February 22, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Reblogged this on CreekWaterWoman and commented:
    I wish I could do more, but think I’d not be of much help since I’m in Oklahoma. If I can help please let me know how

25. Nabeki

February 22, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Reblogged this on Howling For Justice and commented:
    If this can be proven it will blow things wide open in Wisconsin, it’s unconscionable. To think wolves would be subjected to such horror when they are bound to their den sites awaiting the birth of their pups!

A similar situation was uncovered concerning Mexican gray wolves. Telemetry devices were given out to Southwestern ranchers when Mexican gray wolves were first reintroduced, apparently so ranchers would use them to keep track of any wolves approaching their cows. The USFWS handed out the telemetry to people who were no friend to the wolf.

“Don’t Give Wolf Opponents Tracking Frequencies”

26. tracy

February 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I lived in Wisconsin for much of my life and had a business that dealt directly with the DNR. I can say firsthand that the Wisconsin DNR is as corrupt as they come, a true “good ol’ boys” network. These allegations do not surprise me in the least.

27. Gail

February 22, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Borrowed from Rick Merril’s blog:

INHUMANITY OF WOLF MANAGEMENT

28. Norm

February 23, 2013 at 12:55 pm

This is dismaying for reasons that are not even mentioned above. In a sane world at least the general locations of wolf packs would be available to human hunters using dogs to pursue other game, simply to avoid the few packs of wolves that conflict with dogs as they do with other wolves violating their territories, but the mere fact that the wolves are being hunted too precludes releasing that information. Or even where it is proposed wolves may be hunted in the future, as den locations can be legacy sites that can outlive individual wolves, this could mean that the ideal sites wolves have sought out to den at without causing problems in their territories are permanently unusable for them.

29. Sue Hodges

February 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm

As we know this whole sad affair STINKS from beginning to end. The way it was pushed thru the legislature by buddies of the the WI Bear Hunters, Conservation Congress, Wisconsin Wildlife Association, WI Farm Bureau. To the DNR being forced to comply even though within the agency private employees thought it was a travesty…but afraid of Cathy Steppe ( high school graduate) and Scott Walker ( Koch Brothers mouthpiece)…they said nothing…

Hope and pray this is exposed.

30. Sandra McGee

February 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Is this Tuesday meeting @ the DNR, or is it being held elsewhere??

February 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Sandra here is the location:

For meeting at:
      Rm. G09, State Natural Resources Bldg. (GEF 2)
      101 S. Webster St.
      Madison WI 53703

31. traeh79

February 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thanks so much. Is it @ the building where the memorial was @?

32. nanci00

February 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm

THIS SHOULD BE A CRIME, NO? PERHAPS KARMA WILL VISIT THIS MAN SOON. I PRAY DAILY THAT SUCH SADISTS AS THIS ….ROT… SLOWLY… FROM THE INSIDE OUT… UNTIL THEY DROWN IN THEIR OWN BILE.

33. dj carruthers

February 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm

i’m starting to wonder if people that have no respect or compassion for animals also have extremely low IQ’s. everything points this way….

34. dj carruthers

February 26, 2013 at 9:23 pm

…. and i’m not being sarcastic. i’m really serious about this.

35. Lesley J Blissett

February 27, 2013 at 6:24 am

I thought the DNR were supposed to protect wildlife, not destroy it and in such an evil and cruel manner! I don’t understand people who just want to kill, it concerns me that hunters will turn their attention to people once they have tired of killing animals, these hunters are just monsters, yahoos and must be a sub-species of the human race – wildlife MUST be protected not destroyed and wolves are the mainstay of environmental control so must be spared!

36. ramses (@traeh79)

February 28, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Is there any other info. on the DNR folks who have made the claim that certain people have given GPS locations to the hounders???? Interested in more info.

37. Lesley Blissett

March 2, 2013 at 8:06 am

Just how low can people sink, this is an absolute disgrace, I wonder if money changed hands? This leaves me ashamed of being a member of the “human” race! Hunters should be hunted themselves; they love killing so much and cheating at it just so they can kill more it really does not surprise me that they turn to humans in the end as any target is worth the kill – I hate hunters and trappers with a vengeance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. wolf warrior

March 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Nabiki, This is terrible, I have just started reading your blog and already im horrified. But let me just thank you for getting me into the cause. Before I read one of your blogs I had no idea what was`going on. Now I have started a club for the cause, and I hope that myself and my club,(even though I’m only eleven)will take a step or two forward in relisting the wolf. Thanks.

39. Wolf is my Soul

March 5, 2013 at 3:04 am

Reblogged this on Carinas space.