Natural Resources Board Hearing Gets Heated

26 Feb

Despite massive public outcry the Natural Resources Board voted unanimously to continue the permeant “rule” making procedure for the use of wolves against dogs. They also decided not to consider any more “rules” for hounders at this time. One hounder representative even had the gall to act as though placing rules on their sadistic “sport” was “discrimination.”

Hounder Al Loebner apparently thinks that he and his hounder brethren should be able to operate without any restrictions on their activities. Have you ever heard of a more demanding and self-entitled group of sadists in your life? This is what happens when you give these monsters everything they want and cower to their every whim. It is never enough.

Al Lobner, head of the Wisconsin Bear Hunters’ Association, said the group is against further rules and said more strict rules would be “discriminating to those of us who prefer to hunt with hounds.”

Lobner, questioned by the board, said he has never had a dog killed by a bear while hunting. He said he has never hunted wolves with dogs.

Well how generous of Lobner to admit that he has never hunted wolves with dogs. Maybe because until last year it was ILLEGAL. Lobner is also the one who boasted recently that he and his hounder ilk are looking at acquiring dogs like Airedales and wolf hounds to use against wolves. Never mind that these are dogs bred to fight and not “trail” wolves.

The outrage against these proposals are building and the members of the board know it. Apparently there were over 3,000 letter submitted to the Board with the vast majority speaking out against these outlandish proposals and the entire act of pitting wolves against dogs. This was just the first in what are supposed to be a number of “public hearings” about this issue.

As for Patricia losing her cool and ‘threatening” the board members? She told the truth about how hounders operate and became emotional about it. I know Patricia well and while she is a firebrand, I doubt that she “intimidated” these people. From what I understand the board was aggressive with her from the beginning so I can understand why she became upset.

Wildlife advocates have just begun to have our voices heard on this issue and we need to keep up the pressure. I also want to thank all of you that took the time to write to the board speaking out against these disgusting proposals. If the DNR didn’t know it before they know it now. We WILL NOT back down.

Read more here:

Public hearing sees vehement opposition to use of dogs in wolf hunt

Posted by on February 26, 2013 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

34 responses to “Natural Resources Board Hearing Gets Heated

1. madisonagility@hotmail.com

February 26, 2013 at 7:28 pm

He also said that his dogs had been “ambused” by wolves but only after they had treed a bear. Funny, wolves aren’t ambush predators.

February 26, 2013 at 7:29 pm

They are always the victim aren’t they. If his dogs were ambushed they would be dead. Lying POS

• Krys Smith

February 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Exactly. Ugh. Bastards. Every word that comes from those people mouths are twisted. They are fully abusing their power of authority, which is illegal might I add! Give it time, they’ll start seeing tourist profits go down, the world is appalled by their actions!

2. madisonagility@hotmail.com

February 26, 2013 at 7:31 pm

And I absolutely understand Patricia’s frustration with these hearings, but threatening the board that is already stacked against you isn’t right either. It takes everything she said that was true and discounts it all and also makes others opinions against the use of dogs in the wolf hunt less valid. That’s unfortunate because she is right about the use of sticks, the sadism of the people who want to use dogs and the out right lies of the bear hounders. It didnt do a lot of damage and I respect Patricia’s views on the subject, but we must also respect the opposition when it is there turn to talk and not shout out, whisper and yell when they are testifying.

• madravenspeak

March 1, 2013 at 12:24 am

I am clarifying my eviction in the Madravenspeak column on Sunday. The newspapers edited my comment ( surprise surprise) to make it seem more like a threat. What I actually said, after explaining the use of a barbed wire pole on wildlife – “Maybe I should try this on you to get you out of the deep dark hole you have dug yourselves into.” Were they actually in a deep dark hole physically? No. Metaphor is too sophisticated for these guys. That was interpreted as a “threat” and I was whisked out of the room. If it had really been in any way a threat, I would have been arrested. I was not.

They just did not like it that I exposed their further cruelty and the mess they have created for themselves. Where do they go from here – pinning up live animals as dart boards?

• Candace

March 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm

You don’t bring a knife to a gunfight Madison. Really, the time for attempting any kind of intelligent discourse with these individuals is up. Respect them? Are you serious?

3. tim

February 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Will there be anymore lawsuits to ban hound hunting of wolves? This is insane that the DNR is catering to these anti-wolf hound hunting extremists. Doesn’t the DNR understand that dogs and wolves don’t mix? Just recentlu numerous hunting hounds were killed by wolves in Montana. There is plenty of evidence out there of wolves killing hounds, yet the DNR allows these scum hound hunters to use their dogs on wolves. Their hounds are going to get killed. Is there any lawsuit that’s going to be filed again to stop hound hunters from using their dogs on wolves in Wisconsin?

February 26, 2013 at 7:34 pm

The HSUS lawsuit in federal court is making this issue front and center.

4. tim

February 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Patricia, I emailed Kurt Thiede not that I think it will do any good. What are the wolf experts at DNR are saying about hounds on wolves? There are plenty of cases in places like Montana where wolves have killed hunting hounds. The DNR is making a very incredibly stupid mistake by allowing hounds to be used on wolves.

5. tim

February 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm

That’s great news. The hsus NEEDS to bring up hounds. There is plenty of evidence out there that says that wolves don’t like hounds and will kill the m on the spot. This is dog fighting caused bythe Wisconsin legislature and DNR.

6. Candace

February 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

The DNR is obviously populated with the same mouth-breather types that want to hound hunt our wolves and bears. These people need to be removed from their positions. As we are finding out on a state by state basis, decades of lax supervision and flagrant disregard of regulations have left us with wildlife personnel who do not answer to the people they are supposed to serve. The good-old-boy network needs to go. Now.

7. Diane

February 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

The Natural Resources Board hearing sounds like it was another one of their kangeroo court sessions. The DNR makes a mockery out of the notion these hearings allow for any public opinion other than those of the hounders & hunters. Shame on you NRB board, DNR & state of WI.

8. Laura Ferejohn

February 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Please make it clearer what actions we can take. Give links to petitions. draft sample letters and emails. More people will get involved. Please don’t include graphic pictures on home pages – have links for those who can stand to see them. i can’t.

9. Rita De Ferrary

February 26, 2013 at 8:56 pm

As far as I’m concerned I’m going to boycott Wisconsins products. I just went on the Wisconsin Dairy Boards facebook page and let them know. Businesses need to contact their state representatives and tell them to not allow this to happen…as the businesses will suffer the consequences of a boycott backlash. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dairy-Business-Association/163028513746112

10. Doug

February 26, 2013 at 9:22 pm

This action is simply sadistic. It’s nothing more than legalized dog fighting. It also forces the dogs to be trained to be aggressive, which in turn will cause them to be a threat to other animals and people should they manage to get free. It’s plain and simple redneck mentality in a world that’s supposedly trying to get into the 21st century. I’de almost bet that most of them go to church on Sunday and proclaim to be good Christians. Evidently they are so ignorant that they don’t realize that good Christian values do not condone violence in any form, be it against people or nature. If there is any discrimination taking place, then it’s against the wolves.

• Terri Minnick

February 27, 2013 at 6:52 am

Good point Doug…What ever happened to all God’s creatures ??? Boycott Wisconsin !!
      Need new wildlife /eco friendly politicians. We wont get anywhere with the people in the pockets of the beef & bear hunters pockets. There will be dead dogs and dead wolves. How can this be compared to bear hunting ?? As someone pointed out…they can climb trees (and then be shot or tortured when they fall wounded)

• laina

February 27, 2013 at 7:04 am

Bringing the stick was OK. At least some will read about it and be aware of yet another barbaric practice that was beyond their imagination, as it was for mine. Ironic too that Patricia gets removed for brandishing it, yet those that actually use it go unpunished. Who will fight, if not Patricia? Are their any photos?

11. Anneke de Vries

February 27, 2013 at 1:54 am

Lobner said: that rulings against hounds is discrimination. As if a law against murder be discrimination against murderers.

12. John Connor

February 27, 2013 at 2:20 am

I really hate this I want it stop now

• John Connor

February 27, 2013 at 2:21 am

But I don’t want anyone of animal killed

13. Alan reid

February 27, 2013 at 3:15 am

Natural Resources Board are corrupt scum, they must be taking back handers for this!

14. Rhiannon Taylor Gomez

February 27, 2013 at 7:18 am

First of all thanks again for this article. I think the more the word gets out about this the more people can stand up to this group of Sadists. As for Patricia getting emotional; good for her! I feel like we are sisters in this cause, and if she got upset or angry with these monsters then so be it. I know her well enough to know that she had a good reason. Thank goodness for people like you, Patricia, and all the wonderful folks that write in to support our animal brethren. Blessed be!

• madravenspeak

March 1, 2013 at 12:19 am

Thanks Rhiannon. I was disappointed that Ron Seely edited my comment to the board making it seem like more of a threat than it was. Like I said below, my parting shot to them was not part of the script. If I were a religious person, and I am not, I would say God told me to say it…but why blame her? I said, “Maybe I should try this on you to extract you from that deep dark hole you have dug for yourselves.” I am an English major…it was metaphor, not threat. These guys needed an excuse to get me out of there.

15. kasha skwarcan

February 27, 2013 at 9:47 am

Thanks do much for all your hard work Patricia, and don’t worry about the sadistic monster parasites calling you emotional and threatening, obviously we know they know we know that they are the threat and are the scum of the earth. So often i feel so hopeless for all these beautiful vulnerable animals and feel so resigned but your fight gives me hope, so please keep going and let us know how to help. Thanks so much from me and the animals.

• madravenspeak

March 1, 2013 at 12:16 am

And we have a couple of firebrand nurses who came from up north to wage war. “WAR ON!” was the battle cry. You would think in this age of media that the public would be outraged and rise up. Wisconsin is shaming itself forever.

16. karin nelson

February 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

Thank you for taking these A-holes to task on the cruelty they want to perpetrate! The Natural Resources Board should be very ashamed. I think they’re funding and appointment needs to be looked at because this smacks of corruption. How can a panel tasked with protecting natural resources think that this kind of hunting ( or any hunting) is OK??
    YEs, please keep the pressure on and keep getting the word out.

17. Kerry Michel

February 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

California last year voted to end the bear and bobcat baiting by dogs and Wisconsin needs to end the cruel practice as well. We no longer have wolves in our state except one collared wolf that has ventured in occasionally. Very sad to think we no longer have wolves in California. Get a clue Wisconsin and don’t give in to the hunters.

18. Dywane Brown

February 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I was reading this in the paper at work and I am so proud of Patricia for doing what needed to be said.

• madravenspeak

March 1, 2013 at 12:13 am

Thank you for the support. I did not go with the intent of being thrown out. But they looked so smug. Cathy Stepp has a picture of herself cradling a bear cub – the same ones that are torn apart by dogs. I reminded her of that while I was describing the hounding and she had this blank look on her face, like she was not in there. There is no brain or soul or heart in there – so what do you think she is made of?

Anyway, it was still disconcerting to find myself outside because I have never been kicked out of any place, ever that I can remember. So I said to the warden, “but that was my citizen self…can I go in as a journalist and finish taking notes?” Nope.

19. moquah

February 28, 2013 at 7:24 am

Here’s a good one – DNR biologists train volunteer trackers to not follow wolves off-road during March, in order to not disturb den sites. But DNR admininstrators, and the NRB apparently believe it’s OK for hound hunters to let their dogs run wild through denning areas.

20. madravenspeak

March 1, 2013 at 12:09 am

I am clarifying my eviction in the Madravenspeak column on Sunday. The newspapers edited my comment ( surprise surprise) to make it seem more like a threat. What I actually said, after explaining the use of a barbed wire pole on wildlife – “Maybe I should try this on you to get you out of the deep dark hole you have dug yourselves into.” Metaphor is too sophisticated for these guys. That was interpreted as a “threat” and I was whisked out of the room. If it had really been in any way a threat, I would have been arrested. I was not.

21. Sheree Lucas

March 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Please keep trying everyone…………..I wish it was legal to hunt these morons………….