Hunters Worried About Image After Deer Thrill Killing in Wisconsin

30 Mar

Image

Photo by ForestWander via Wikimedia Commons

This report just surfaced about four people in Wisconsin who poached at least 100 deer in Richland County last December in what is called a “contest.” They also apparently left the killed deer to rot.

Wisconsin man suspected of slaughtering 100 deer in ‘thrill kill’

Of course there is outrage from the hunting community, but not in the manner you would expect. According to the article:

“The suspected illegal slaughtering of deer by Blaha violated all the rules of hunting, authorities said, and has since outraged many hunters and conservation groups who claim Blaha may have depleted the herd and brought unfair notoriety to the sport.”

Yup, they are outraged because it tarnishes their image and takes away deer that they could be killing. I guess that they can’t blame the wolves for this “depletion” of the deer herd.

Note: I normally do not like using Fox News as a reference, but I could not find other sources.

Tags: , , ,

25 responses to “Hunters Worried About Image After Deer Thrill Killing in Wisconsin

March 30, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Image conscious hunter? Is that like conservation minded hunter? Or ethical hunter? Does that type of person even exist? Not in wisconsin.

2. kristi

March 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

This, in addition to WI”s HORRID wolf plan, is not good PR to the state. This will be spread throughout the internet and it will not be long before WI will be called East Idaho. Nothing to be proud in that I assure you.

March 31, 2012 at 12:33 am

Kristi,

You are certainly right about that. Once you get north of Dane County, Wisconsin does seem like a facsimile of Idaho without the mountains. They throw around words like “time honored tradition” when they talk about hunting, trapping, and hounding. No animal is safe from the bloodlust of these monsters. I always ask, what will target next after they kill off all of the wildlife? I am guessing “tree hugging liberals” like myself.

• chance

March 31, 2012 at 10:38 am

I really think the Walker Administration is in big trouble. You can feel it. If they get someone like Barrett or Russ Feingold in office they can send a message that all this environmental extremism has got to go……..

March 31, 2012 at 12:17 am

Wisconsinites need to face the facts that this is going on. Remember 2yrs. ago the morons that snowmobiled 4-6 deer down? The brains of that terrible scenario went on to kill a person and is now doing time. The” what is hunting” loophole is the problem. As bad as the stand your ground law.

March 31, 2012 at 12:29 am

I remember that. the judge in the case originally said that the scumbag couldn’t be charges with animal cruelty because they were “game” animals. Finally a state appeals court ruled that the judge was wrong and the animal cruelty charges were reinstated. There is something very wrong with the mindset in this state. This is not the first thrill killing event in Wisconsin and I highly doubt it will be the last. I think that with incidents like this and the wolf torture picture from Idaho will force people to look long and hard at what we are allowing in a so called civilized society. Something is very wrong with people who kill strictly for entertainment and society needs to recognize that.

March 31, 2012 at 1:11 am

We can be a very dark state with Ed Gein{sp} and Jeff Dahmer. Abusing animals and killing humans go hand in hand.

5. NUWCwildlife

March 31, 2012 at 6:23 am

It’s not just WI’s agency that needs to worry about their “public perception” because it’s certainly NOT just poaching that hurts the image of hunting! How about ALL the other crimes against our wildlife that agencies ALLOW all year long to appease their constituents! Barbaric trapping, baiting, allowing dogs to train live animals, canned and sport/trophy hunting, “Snapperfest” type competitions (IN), and one of the worst is BowHunting! All of these and MORE violate sportsmen own code of ethics. Fair Chase, Quick-kill? They are forever redefining these “ethics” to suit their desires.

6. NUWCwildlife

March 31, 2012 at 6:27 am

And some of the worst offenders are gov’t employees and agencies, like USDA “wildlife services” that kills over 4 MILLION animals a year for ranchers and hunters on our dime ($11 million tax dollars). We have no voice, and even this USFS employee won’t get fired for leaving a wolf in a trap while hunters in Idaho took pot shots at it for days, then bragged about it… because this isn’t a crime! WHY NOT!?

March 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

We have been covering this in our blog over the past week. I know for a fact that animal advocates across the country are not going to let this one go. As for the so called “wildlife services” the more people learn about their actions hopefully they will either be cut or be force to develop some type of accountability for their actions.

7. Matzo Ross

March 31, 2012 at 6:52 am

There are several cases of similar outrages. Such as the teens that stole snowmobiles and used them to run down and kill a herd. They got off with a slap on the wrist. I live in the Northwoods. I am the only wildlife rehabber in 15 counties of ne Wisconsin that takes in mammals. I see these outrageous things happen year round and nothing is done and no one hears about it. It’s about time the true image of “hunters” is exposed. We ‘do’ have groups of ethical hunters. The locals refuse to hunt because they KNOW there are no more deer to hunt. Yet the DNR keeps on selling those licenses for the money, even encouraging ‘special hunts’ for children as young as 8 knowing daddy will be buying himself a license too. Then we see bambis tied to the roof of vecicles leaving our beautiful Northwoods depleted of even the yearlings.

Hunting isn’t even hunting anymore and nothing ethical about it. They don’t hunt down their prey. They put up deer stands, bait the area with apples, sit up in their cozy little stands with their beer, Kentucky fried chicken and battery operated tv watching the football games waiting for a deer to come to their bait pile. And some who get bored waiting simply take target practice at anything that moves. I’m tired of “fixing” these poor creatures if they get found. I don’t get paid a penny to rehab … it all comes out of my own pocket, just like all the other rehab facilities.

Trappers don’t have to report anything. They can do as they please with these animals and report nothing. As a rehabber I am highly restricted what I can do to HELP these same animals. Time for new laws and citizens to open their eyes.

Thank you for posting this!

Northwoods Wildlife Orpahange

8. Matzo Ross

March 31, 2012 at 8:02 am

And you don’t even want to get me started on the coonhunters with coonhounds chasing mamas up the trees, shooting her in the butt, letting her fall to the ground to the dogs to rip her to shreds while they laugh about it. The pelts are worthless, the meat is inedible and “I” get to save their starved half frozen babies if they are found.

A shame that this is even acceptable let alone a “sport”. It’s blood lust. No more no less.

Northwoods Wildlife Orphanage

March 31, 2012 at 11:11 am

I have transported injured raccoons several times that where left abandoned in traps with limbs from snares almost severed. I appreciate what you are doing for the animals. I have worked with rehabilitators around my area for several years, and it takes a special person to do that.

• Matzo Ross

April 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Thank you rali74 …. I could always use help up here in the Northwoods. Thank you for caring. Your blog is very informative.

Regards

Northwoods Wildlife Orphanage on FB

April 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Matzo,

I signed that petition a couple of weeks ago. St. Judes should be ashamed of themselves if they accept money from something like this. I just keep asking, what is wrong with our species? I am so glad that there are people like you out there like yourself who try to save the real victims of their bloodlust.

March 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

What northern Wisconsin newspaper is liberal enough to take anti hunter comments and opinions.

March 31, 2012 at 3:34 pm

In this state? I doubt that we could find anything that isn’t dominated by the “sportsman” view. Send it anyway.

10. Diane

March 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Diane says: The hunting/trapping atrocities that go on in this state in the name of sportsmanship are overwhelming. Bow Hunting, results in 50 % of animals being wounded with 1/2 of the wounded animals left to die a slow painful death of gangrene or starvation-another form of carnage the wolf has to look forward to.

March 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Diane says: Certainly man remains the worst predator & is the only mammal who kills just for the fun of it. Hunters claim wolves & bears are responsible for deer herd reductions, but consider prior to 2011; there were T-Zone hunts, anterless hunts, bonus tag hunts, youth hunts, handicapped hunts, bow season, regular 9 day (sometimes longer) regular gun season, December anterless hunts; also special hunts for veterans who were deployed & not around for regular hunting season. Also numbers of deer killed (which are never mentioned by the DNR) are the hundreds of AG TAGS handed out by the DNR for alleged crop damage to farmers-to be used by the farmers or people designated by the farmersto use them. 85% of the AG TAGs handed out must be used. Consider then,many hunters & their families killed 5+ deer per family. These same people want to kill wolves so they may even have more deer to kill themselves. Crazy!

11. Hiker1

April 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I finally competed my comments to the National Sierra Club Board that is considering halting trapping on a national level. I know that they must be feeling very defensive, however, they really lack empathy. I had told my story about my dog getting killed in a trap and several of them just ignored it or said I was emotional and talked about the extra income that he needed to buy his kids christmas presents. That really hit me…”buy my kid christmas presents”…because one thing I really miss is buying toys for my dog. Finally, another woman joined the discussion and talked about how they will never understand until they have a dog die in a trap.

They wanted me to be less emotional and use more facts, so I pointed to “Cull of the Wild” and “Coyotes in our Midst”. They perceived the other woman as someone more reasonable than myself. I have lost some of my reasonability because of their lack of appropriate empathy. One trapper said, “Accidents happen…a dog could get caught in a sewer in the city…”. I try to be a problem solver, but it would be hard for me to make the reach to sympathy for their problems if they cannot address my concerns. I know that problems can be solved. I can’t help wondering who would be a good spokesperson to help them develop an appreciation for working to help wildlife instead of trapping them. Some of them feel they are performing a public service and that the facts show they trap more for nuisance than than for fur collars? I’d never heard that before? Europe just throws their muskrats out after they kill them for nuisance but we at least use the animals?

April 2, 2012 at 7:16 pm

When trappers tell you the care about animals and the environment they are full of it. They are thrill killers who get off on the power of dominating and controlling the existence of animals. They are moneygrubbers who would sell a live animal to the hilbilly redneck hunting clubs down south and joke on the internet when the hunters tell them their mutts ripped em up good. I hate these freaking sadists

April 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I wonder what people from civilized countries think when they see this type of behavior being promoted and justified? And to think that this is all happening and getting worse under a supposedly “liberal” president. And we were all worried about Sarah Palin being part of the Executive Branch? I don’t know how it could be much worse.