“And the Scumbag is Smiling”

05 Apr

Image

Photo by Hellahulla (Own work), via Wikimedia Commons

Did you know that many hunters and trappers who pose with their kills call the photographs “hero shots?” Yes it takes a real hero to shoot an animal and then mug for the camera over a once living being that had no chance to defend itself. A recent article in The Record Searchlight of Redding, CA brought the actions of these “heroes” and their photographs to light.

“As the sun was starting to dip below frost-covered hills on a frigid evening last fall, my friend Greg and I stood smiling in front of a camera on an ice-covered boat ramp. We were each holding straps loaded with a heap of dead ducks. We were doing what hunters have done since the advent of the camera — taking a “hero photo,” as one hunting blogger calls them. Hunters know why we take those pictures.”

“They’re a celebration of success, a record of our determination, passion, skill and all those bleary-eyed early mornings and when we went home without firing a shot at the ducks that stayed out of range, our deer tags went unfilled and our freezers stayed empty.”

The author then goes on to talk about how hunters should be worried about how they will be perceived when the photographs are seen by others. Common sense, right? He even titles the section of the article “And the Scumbag is Smiling.” Then he makes sure to talk about how evil “animal rights” people will put anti-hunitng measures on ballots because of these photos. But then he has to go on to tell a story about what “heroes” he and his buddy were for hiding their boat and then blowing ducks out of the sky:

“We hid the boat, and I finally had a chance to take off my jacket. With my waders pushed down to my waist and my coat dangling off one arm, I heard that telltale whistle of rippling wing feathers. Mallards overhead. I grabbed my gun and, with one hand, made one of the most incredible passing shots of my life. The greenhead folded, stone dead, as a poof of feathers fluttered down on my shoulders. I hollered in triumph. Greg gave me a knuckle bump.”

“It only got better. In the next two hours, we filled our duck straps (and, much later, our freezer, the chili pot and my smoker) with mallards, ringneck ducks and, yes, a pair of fat canvasbacks.The shutter clicked.”

“We grinned like idiots.”

Does anything more need to be said? Heroes, indeed.

Tags: , ,

13 responses to ““And the Scumbag is Smiling”

April 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Good Grief. Give this guy some serious medicine.

2. jgpac00000

April 5, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Sickening…….

3. Diane

April 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Diane says: I hate even going out to eat during hunting season -which is now 3/4 of the year-I hate listening to these sick idiots going into disturbing, gory details over killing these poor creatures at the next table.

April 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm

What gets me is when they have to go to a Walmart or similar store after “hunting” all decked out in their cammo or orange. The claim that they hunt to “put food on the table” but are at Walmart “hunting” for Ho-Hos and Ding Dongs. About a year ago I had to listen to a co-worker and a newly elected circuit judge bragging about shooting birds. The judge was laughing about “blowing the face off” a bird and how it was running around afterward. What has our species become?

April 6, 2012 at 12:16 am

One of our sheriff deputys went to the turkey thing at the Alliant Center and even he says it’s getting scary. I see on MSNBC ALEC is in trouble with Coke and Pepsi pulling out. This will help telling the NRA where to go.

April 6, 2012 at 12:32 am

I think what much of this boils down to is the fact that a black man is president. We have seen seeing this escalation in the “culture war” since Obama took office and it is only getting worse especially when the blowhards on Fox keep fanning the flames. Obama has been horrible for the environment and sanctioned the killing of wolves so I don’t know what the right wingers are so upset about. I honestly think that much of it comes down to his race. What is even more disturbing is the way that people like Scott Walker have divided a relatively unified state. You are seeing more and more of the radical right wing mindset in Wisconsin that used to be reserved for the south and the northern Rockies. You are right that groups like ALEC and the NRA are behind much of this distention. The good thing is that people are starting to see through their garbage and see them for what they really are: bigoted theocrats that are damaging our democracy.

April 6, 2012 at 1:10 am

I think they said that Wal Mart is pulling out too. The Sierra Club told me that Obama’s environmental record is the worst in 40 yrs. I just don’t think it’s important to him because he has no history with the outside world. He lived and worked in central city. He never mentions the Grand Canyon or any landmarks, just the Hawiian beach. By the way, the blogs and comments on the Idaho Statesman and the Missoulian are fascinating. The majority is for the wolf and very anti trapping. These people are getting fed up. But then there are still the crazies. It’s an interesting culture study. They’re ignorant,isolated and indoctrinated. That’s why all this has to go to court. They won’t change. This is a time bomb. Good! Check with you later.

6. Anon

April 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

This is not about race. This is about a story, told long ago that approximately 2 billion people over the world still believe in. The story goes that man has dominion over all other life. That man is not an animal. See the problem? As long as people believe in this story, or any similar story that says man is on top and all other species are inferior and they are made for man to do whatever he sees fit, you and I will continue to see this mass exploitation and slaughter of the other species. Mankind refuses to take responsibility for its own numbers and continues to grow in population out of control. We are nearing eight billion. The other species have just as much a right to be here. We need to get our act together if there is hope for us in the future as a species.

April 7, 2012 at 12:19 am

According to Genesis, man is to be stewards[ I know that doesn’t sound right] over the land and his other creations are to be treated as if they were souls. Stewardship has gone down the drain .I could see that when I was raising sheep. One of the reasons I got out. And in Ecclesiastes 3:18-22, there is no superiority of man over beast.” As one dies, so the other dies and they all have but one spirit”. My favorite book in the Bible. Look what is happening to women? What Scotty did behind closed doors last night! Wiped out the equal pay amendment. It was all over MSNBC tonight. This country’s gone mad.

April 7, 2012 at 8:50 am

Each day, walker gives us another reason to recall him. He is trying to do as much damage as possible before the recall. I almost think that he doesn’t want to keep the job. Why else would he keep signing legislation that attacks women in the manner that it is? We are now Mississippi North, Wississippi. The whole GOP attacking women left and right, and then having the nerve to deny it. I hope this backfires nationwide as it is not a good strategy to alienate over 50% of the population.

April 7, 2012 at 8:08 pm

The Ed Show and Rachel Maddow are on top if this. Maureen May-Grimm, who is running for the 51st district left by Janis Ringhand, stopped by. I filled her in on the wolf situation. I told her Janis voted no on the bill.So did Erpenbach. Not happy about the redistricting. Now we have Schultz. Yikes!

April 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Schultz is a walking contradiction. He does the right thing on multiple bills, and then turns around and is considered and “author” of the wolf kill bill. Of course we now know that the true author of the bill was the Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association and their seven lawyers. When Patricia and I went to the Capitol the day before the senate vote on the bill, we stopped into Schultz’s office and spoke to a staffer. The staffer was very pro-wolf and he also did not know why Schultz was supporting the bill. He did say that Schultz’s reasoning for allowing dogs and night hunting was “that is what they do for coyotes.” As if that is right in itself. I could tell that the staffer was not happy about the bill or it’s support by his boss.

April 8, 2012 at 1:21 am

I called his office before the vote. I commented on Nabeki’s blog – have you read “Lone Wolf”? It’s on the best seller list in the Wi. St. Journal. It sounds good. Well hope the Easter bunny doesn’t freeze his bottom off tonight. It’s chilly. Take care. Oh’ refering to the bear hunters. The sole purpose of this hunt is eliminate the wolf in the woods and make it easier to hunt the 5,000 bears the state wants blown away or is it the Safari Club 1% ers.