News Articles About Conservation Congress Meetings

10 Apr

Photo from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Here is a list of articles about the Conservation Congress meetings from last night with some notable quotes:

From the Portage Daily Register:

“Doug Williams, a Columbia County delegate on the Conservation Congress, said that if a Sandhill Crane hunting season was created that it would not be the end of Sandhill Cranes or would put an end to crop damage for local farmers.”

“It’s going to be regulated like you can’t believe,” Williams said. “As it should be. You don’t want the population to go down to five, but you can’t have it get to 5 million, either.”

So this guy expects the population to go from 15,000 to 5,000,000 if the hunters don’t save the day?

From the Wausau Daily Herald:

“Jim Goheen of the town of Norrie, a retired aquatic biologist, also opposes the hunt. Farmers can protect their corn by using a coating that stops the birds from eating it, Goheen said. Besides, Goheen said, “we’ve got enough things to hunt.”

Others disagreed. One hunt supporter said the birds create too much damage and Wisconsin should follow the example of 22 other states that allow cranes to be hunted.

“Cranes are a renewable resource,” said Mike Brust of the town of Stettin.

“So are robins,” answered Goheen.”

I find it amazing how living beings are only “resources” in the mind of people like this guy. Mr. Goheen better not speak too loud or next they will want to have a robin hunting season.

From the Appleton Post Crescent:

Don Ebelt, of Appleton, said he wouldn’t hunt the cranes if it were made legal, but said it is a management issue and should be allowed.

“Bird lovers raised the same stink with the dove hunt, but we’ve had that season with no problem. It can be controlled,” Ebelt said. “You head out to Navarino or Shiocton and the cranes are everywhere. They’re very pretty birds but there are too many.”

We are still raising a stink about you and your ilk killing mourning doves for no reason. The only reason people like this say there are “too many” is because that is what their hunting group propaganda tells them to say. What is this state’s obsession with killing animals? Each year they want to kill more, more, and more. We need to stand up and speak out against this wanton slaughter of our wildlife.

Posted by on April 10, 2012 in Hunting, Wisconsin Insanity

Tags: , ,

9 responses to “News Articles About Conservation Congress Meetings

April 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

The Green County Dems. and Progressives are having a candidate forum tonight and I,m going to nail Vinehout for voting for the wolf bill. Then tell that’s why she lost my vote.

April 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Thank you. That is exactly what we need to do: make these lawmakers accountable for their anti-wildlife votes. This goes for both sides of the aisle.

2. Sandra McGee

April 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm

OMG – why in the world would you want to kill such a beautiful bird? Oh, thats right – hunters have no morals. What am I thinking, I almost forgot where I was. This is really unbelievable, first the poor wolf comes off the ESL (& only minutes it seems there was a piece of legislation to hunt them) now this absolutely beautiful bird? What is with these states?? I cannot fathom that I live in such a country that these hunting groups run our parks & what ever else lives or dies as far as our wildlife goes. It drives me mad!

April 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm

You are exactly right about legislation to kill wolves in Wisconsin being introduced within minutes. The bill, AB 502, was introduced the very same day they were removed from the ESA list and they announced a “public hearing” a day before it happened. Of course all of the hunting groups knew about it and where there, while the rest of us had no clue. These groups have complete and total control over our wildlife and ecosystems. They are less than 12 percent of the total population nationwide, yet society lets them dictate how our wildlife is “managed.” Something is very wrong with that.

April 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I attended the Conservation Congress meeting last night in my county-I was 1 of 14 people who attended & probably the only person who was an anti-hunter/anti-trapper. Not only is it appalling that a sandhill crane hunt is proposed-I found it equally as upsetting those who belong to bird clubs & who have spent countless years doing crane counts never showed up. I also find it concerning hunters now want to add crossbows to hunt wolves, bears, deer & even fish. Bow & arrow/crossbow hunting means 50 % of these animals will be wounded with an estimated 1/2 of these wounded animals left to die a painful death of gangrene & starvation. Crossbows mean more of the general population including the young will be able to use this inhumane method of hunting. Traditional bow & arrow hunting requires greater physical strength than does a crossbow. Yet another cruel form of hunting will likely be added to the already crowded roster of blood sports. It certainly is no coincidence crossbow hunting was buried amidst the even more controversial issues of the crane hunt & on the heels of the wolf hunt.

April 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm

The numbers of hunters and trappers is dropping each year so they are trying to grab as much as they can before they become insignificant. One of the goals of this group is to get the non-hunter/trapper wildlife enthusiasts involved. The CC has been a good ol boys club for the past 80 years and they expect it to remain that way. We need to show up in numbers to prove that we are the true majority. Does the state really think that a group of hunters and trappers are going to vote no to killing anything?

April 11, 2012 at 12:10 am

Had a testy conversation with Vinehout’s staff gal that came with her. I opened up the conversation saying I was disappointed that Kathleen voted for the wolf bill. Absolutely she said. I thought , who in the hell are you? She stiffened up and didn’t like me at all. Any how we went around on wolves and cranes and I said she,Vinehout, has lost votes because of her stand. Instead of listening to me, she made a serious mistake of becoming irritated. I hope all of Northern Wisconsin isn’t like this.

April 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

I have met some very kind and friendly people from the northern part of the state. I have also met some cold and arrogant jerks. Of course the same thing can be said for anywhere else, but the overall mindset in the north tends to differ from the rest of the state. It is more in line with places like Idaho than the rest of Wisconsin. For a portion of the state with a very small population they sure seem to have a huge amount of sway over the rest of the state. Good job on calling out Vinehout for her irresponsible vote. I don’t think she stands much of a chance at winning in the primary anyway.

April 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm

And you can bet I won’t keep this incident to myself. I will tell my Dem. friends.