25 Apr

Photo by Mike Baird from Morro Bay, via Wikimedia Commons

Yesterday, I came across an interesting story about some trappers in Maine that were charged and convicted of felony animal cruelty in the death of a trapped bobcat through the use of hounds.

Master Maine Guide found guilty of cruelty to bobcat

From the article:

“Waldo County Deputy District Attorney Eric Walker said after the sentencing that the February 2009 incident, during which Carl and three other men had used the illegally trapped bobcat in a failed effort to train their bluetick coonhounds, can’t be justified in any way.

Carl tethered the caged bobcat to a pole with a rope wrapped around its neck. He let the bobcat out of the cage, shown in a home video that was taken of the training experiment, and hunting dogs attacked and killed it.”

“The video depicted the tethered bobcat being killed by a pack of four howling, barking bluetick coonhounds within minutes of being let out of a cage.”

“Noisy, intense video taken of this showed the pack of coonhounds jumping at the hissing bobcat, dangling in the cage. The men egged on their dogs by shouting words of encouragement: “Get him, Utah!” “Get him, Smoke!”

“Justice Robert Murray sentenced Carl after the verdict was returned. Carl, who his attorney said will lose his job with the Department of Corrections because he is now a convicted felon, was sentenced to 15 months in prison with all but 10 days suspended. Additionally, he will pay $1,325 in fines and fees and spend two years on probation, during which time he will be prohibited from using or possessing hunting dogs or hunting or trapping equipment. He also will be barred from hunting, trapping or guiding activities during this time.”

Two other men were also charged and convicted in the incident. It is refreshing to see animal torturers actually end up paying for their crimes against wildlife. Although the sentence is light on jail time it is still a felony. Our congratulations to the prosecutors in Maine on a job well done.

In Wisconsin it is a “tradition” to hunt with dogs according to Rep. Scott Suder the “author” of the Wisconsin wolf kill bill. In a February, 2012 interview on Wisconsin Public Radio Suder described the use of dogs for hunting in Wisconsin as being a “tradition” and successfully included their use against wolves in the bill.

It is also apparently illegal in Wisconsin to use dogs to kill wild animals. If that is the case why are there videos like the one below all over the internet from Wisconsin:

**Warning** Graphic Video **Warning**

And while states like Maine actually enforce their cruelty laws against hounders, Wisconsin has been expanding the number of species that can be hunted with dogs to include wolves, coyotes, raccoons, bobcats, and turkeys. While Wisconsin keeps their “tradition” of using dogs as weapons alive, California is looking at banning the practice all together.

Hundreds testify on proposal to ban hound hunting

While it seems that the rest of the country are moving away from barbaric practices like these, Wisconsin of course has to take it in the opposite direction and expand the use of dogs as another weapon for hunters.

Please contact your lawmakers and tell them that dogs should not be used as another weapon against wildlife.

Tags: , , , ,

14 responses to “In Maine Torturing an Animal With Dogs is a Felony. In Wisconsin it is a “Tradition”

April 25, 2012 at 11:13 pm

If you like delicious, nutritious, hormone free and organic meat, then support your local grass fed beef farmer. I don’t eat red meat but killing a bear with hounds is just plain inhumane. Not to just the bears but to the dogs also. After the Humane Society is done there , they can come to Wisconsin.

2. rali74

April 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I was doing that until I decided to go full vegetarian a couple of months ago. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not just for my conscience, but for my health as well. I have lost 14 pounds and feel much better since I eliminated all meats from my diet. The hounder issue is certainly one of the priorities once we become more established as an organization and gain more members. I think that we need to push for a ballot initiative to end all hounding in this state. Wisconsin makes that far more difficult than it needs to be because all ballot initiatives need to be approved by the Legislature before they go to the voters. Dogs should be our friends not another weapon used to torment wildlife.

April 26, 2012 at 1:10 am

I need some animal protein but that is fish,salmon,organic yogurt and eggs. I have a chicken in the freezer but that comes from a very good friend that raises cage free chicks and eggs. I consume nothing with 4 legs. The CAFOs should be banned from the landscape and all beef out of the National Parks and BLM lands.I want to learn to cook with more grains like quinoa[sp?]. I’m a cardiac patient and have to watch my satuated fats. I eat very little cheese and no milk. My Dad was a Borden’s milk man.

4. Holly Crawford

April 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm

omg REALLY PEOPLE did you not just see the video who gives a crap about YOUR health what about this poor bear

April 26, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Holly,

I did see the video because I am the author of the article. The people who want to kill our predators such as bears and wolves are all in bed with the agriculture industry. What we choose to consume has a direct impact on our wildlife. One of the reasons why our predators are being tormented is because of cattle being allowed to graze on OUR land in the West. We are fighting to protect animals like that poor bear, and all of this is tied together. Bears are often blamed for “agricultural damage” as an excuse to allow more and more to be killed in Wisconsin each year.

April 26, 2012 at 11:56 pm

That’s why they want to kill all the wolves. To get them out of the woods. Makes it easier to kill the bears. Sorry to go off on a food tanget but in the early morning my brain goes in all directions. Every body need to have a food conversation and how to better the planet and our wildlife.

April 27, 2012 at 12:04 am

No reason to be sorry about anything. The purpose of this site is to allow living wildlife advocates to have a place to come to and speak what is on their mind. What we consume has a direct relationship to our environment and ultimately our wildlife.

April 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

This site is great. I read it faithfully & really appreciate the political savvy, empathy, intelligence & passion for animals the bloggers share. But we are preaching to the choir. The general public has no idea the House passed H.R. 4089 which rolls legislation which mandates hunting/shooting on Federal lands, allows lead shot & allows polar bear trophies to be imported from Canada in 1 bill.This bill is on its way to the Senate. I have info on good authority even National Park Service Employees have been left out of the loop on this. If this passes those well-intentioned folks who planned the National Parks to be sacred ground for animals & humans will turn over in their graves. This is similar to the cloak of darkness the wolf kill bill was passed In WI. Then along with this bill was AB 502 & SB 411, another assault on wolves passed with little fanfare allowing steel traps, cable restraints, night hunting with shining lights, bait, lures, hounding & long seasons to facilitate killing pregnant wolves. The public needs to know of your group; do your have brochures or a template for a brochure so I could have some printed to put in my brochure rack for our busy upcoming tourist season this summer? We are family oriented so anything bloody would not go over well even though I admit maybe that is what will take to make the public sit up & take notice. Thanks .

April 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Diane,

When Patricia Randolph and I started this group we jumped in head first to fight the Wisconsin wolf kill bill. Now we are in the process of coordinating with other wildlife advocates to develop our mission statement and attempt to become a true force for our wildlife. We plan to have a meeting with other wildlife advocates in the next few weeks and I will make sure to work on getting an informational brochure prepared for you to distribute. Thank you again for your kind words. From day one I wanted to write about topics that I have been passionate about for a very long time and now I have that outlet. I want this group to become far more than just an informational blog site. I want us to become a force for true change with ALL wildlife advocates putting aside their differences and working together toward a common goal. The hunting groups destroy us on that level because they know how to coordinate and fund raise. We let petty bickering distract us from that level of coordination. That needs to change. We welcome all living wildlife advocates to help us reach that goal. Any and all suggestions from living wildlife advocates are encouraged and welcomed. Thanks again.

April 26, 2012 at 11:59 pm

tangent- Everybody needs to have-sorry

7. J.a. Crowder

April 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

THEY NEED TO BAN ALL DOG USE IN HUNTING. Its horrible how they let those dogs tear a suffering animal to pieces , you hunters that do this ungodly torture need to rot in H E L L

April 28, 2012 at 7:07 pm

California certainly has the right idea. Of course Wisconsin has to be ass backwards as usual and expand it. The funny thing is that hounding doesn’t even have much support among the hunting community here, but for some reason they always get their way and get to kill more and more animals with the use of dogs. This year they just added turkeys and wolves to the mix.

8. Maureen

May 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Diane, people are more aware of what’s going on than you realize. I’m Canadian, and I’m well aware of what’s going on in the U.S. in regards to the war on wildlife. I signed a petition opposing H.R. 4089 and sign any others that advocate for reform to wildlife laws or protection of wildlife if people from outside the U.S. are allowed to sign. I came to know about all this from being part of the animal rights/wildlife protection circuit on Facebook. Social networking is a very powerful tool for change.

May 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Maureen, I am really glad to hear you are so active with animal rights/wildlife protection. I have to admit I am out of the loop & am not on facebook. The social networking movement has done so much to bring about change & it sounds as though facebook will be an important tool to use to educate people re: wildlife & the abuse animals suffer @ the hands of humans. I am so impressed you are from Canada & so well aware of what is going on in the U.S.-we do share a Continent.