How Did This Guy Get Elected?

08 May

Wisconsin, what were you thinking when you elected this guy?

A couple of weeks ago, I sent a letter to Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson expressing my opposition to the insane “Recreational Fishing and Hunting Heritage and Opportunities Act” now before Congress. This is the canned response that I received:

Thank you for contacting me about conservation, wildlife and the protection of our environment.

As an outdoorsman and avid fisherman, I know that our environment is our most precious natural resource. I support efforts to responsibly manage our wildlife and fish populations. Hunters, fishermen, hikers and campers are huge conservationists because they have a vested interest in our public lands. State and local officials should work closely with conservationists to manage local resources in a responsible and sustainable fashion.

We must protect our water, air, and land for future generations. Conservation efforts must be approached sensibly. We can and must grow our economy while at the same time protecting our environment.  As we balance those two tasks, we must remember that our nation’s fiscal situation is dire.

In the last fiscal year alone, Washington added $1.3 trillion to our nation’s debt, which now exceeds the size of the American economy. This mountain of debt threatens the hopes and dreams of future generations. It is immoral. Its growth must stop.

Unfortunately, neither the Administration nor Democrats in the Senate have offered any serious budget proposals. President Obama’s budget for 2013 would increase our already massive federal debt by nearly $10 trillion over the next decade.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.  It is important for me to hear the views and concerns of the people I serve.  Since taking office, I have received over 400,000 pieces of correspondence and have had over 200,000 participants in live forums and telephone town hall meetings.  Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can further assist you or your family.  It is an honor representing you and the good people of Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Wow! I contact his guy to express my opposition to a proposed bill and I get Tea Party talking points in return. Most have nothing to do with wildlife or the environment. Basically what I think he is hinting at is that we must let corporations rape the environment in a “responsible” manner because of the “economy.” What does this have to do with my concerns about the irresponsible bill that I wrote to him about that opens up more federal land to killing and turns the rest into shooting ranges?

And this guy defeated Russ Feingold? Wisconsin, what the hell were you thinking?

12 responses to “How Did This Guy Get Elected?

May 9, 2012 at 12:30 am

rali, I’ve been having a hissie about this guy for months. I send him tons of petitions I signed and get the same go-around. And there is the “we just can’t afford it” blarney. In fact I got one tonight on the Pipeline where he blames Obama preventing jobs. Nothing about the environment. If the Tea Party wants to have a fit about something, let them yell about re-embursing hound nuts $10,000 per dog killed.

May 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

It’s crazy. I talked to other who received the exact canned response that I did. I don’t think this guy or his staff even bother to see past the Tea Party agenda. What a joke. I hope that the election of this clown and Walker teach the people of this state a lesson, but I doubt it will.

2. Exposing the Big Game

May 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Unbelievable. His “As an outdoorsman,” intro was predictable enough, but the rest of that opening sentence: “…I know that our environment is our most precious natural resource” makes me wonder if he understands that ALL natural resources come from the environment!

Somehow he missed the point that we want to see wildlife protected from the very people he wrongfully calls “conservationists.” And he doesn’t get that we hikers and campers have a vested interest that is at odds with that of the hunters. It’s hard to find quiet enjoyment of nature when the gunfire drowns out the sound of the river or the wind through the trees–and forget trying to watch wildlife that are always afraid of being shot at…

May 9, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Johnson and his ilk want nothing more than to allow the energy companies rape and pillage our lands and turn them into free fire zones for “sportsmen.” Killing is not conservation. That myth has been rammed into the heads of the citizens of this country for the past century and the sad thing is that most people buy into it. The hunters and trappers constantly remind us that they pay for “conservation” through their killing licenses, yet they refuse to allow these departments to be funded through the general funds. It is all about power and they do not want to give the rest of us a seat at the table that would come from our money.

• Exposing the Big Game

May 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm

That’s exactly right–they pretend to be “conservationists,” and scream when we prove them otherwise. As Cleveland Amory put it, “…the least implication anywhere that hunters aren’t the worthiest of souls since the apostles drives them into virtual paroxysms of self-pity.”

May 10, 2012 at 12:54 am

Just received an e-mail from him on putting the wolf back on the ESA. OMG I don’t understand a word of it. He refuses to deal with it. I’m going to call his office.

May 10, 2012 at 1:07 am

Just got another e-mail from him. He announced he can’t handle the thousands of issues. Well tough. Keep after him.

5. Suzanne Dunham

May 13, 2012 at 11:04 am

Same kind of bs email I received from him. Now when I send off a petition, I don’t even bother to open the response because it’s always the same old bs. The only thing I get off on is that I’m loading up his email and hoping against hope that he will finally get a conscience and do the right thing. Good luck with that one! This man should NEVER been elected.

May 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

I cringe at the thought of even sending anything to this Right Wing hack because I know he follows the part line each and every time. I just read where he is blocking legislation in the Senate that would stop the doubling of student loan interest rate increases. It must be easy for a guy who marries into money to make these kinds of decisions that impact other people. Has Wisconsin lost their mind? Walker and then this guy? What the hell were they thinking?

6. Russel Ray Photos

May 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The only times I have ever received non-canned responses to my letters to legislators is from my two U.S. Senators from California. Never in Texas, even when I knew the people. Everything canned.

7. Suzanne Dunham

May 27, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I don’t even bother to open any of their responses anymore because it’s always the same old BS. I can’t believe the voters picked this guy over Mr. Feingold. What? Has everyone lost their minds. I will continue to sign petitions because I must, and maybe, someday, our elected officials will stand up and be counted instead of being corporation puppets.

May 27, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Blah, blah blah, blah. Worthless teaparty puppet for the Koch Bros. Can’t afford this and can’t afford that. He’s a broken record and doen’t have a creative problem solving cell in his brain.