27 May

Here is Patricia’s latest column about the insane “Sportsmen’s Heritage Act” H.R. 4089 that is trying to take what has happened here in Wisconsin nationally. This bill essentially seeks to turn all federal public lands into giant game farms and shooting ranges.

Patricia Randolph: Speak up now to preserve wilderness

10 responses to “New Madreavespeak Column: Patricia Randolph: Speak up now to preserve wilderness

1. louisekane

May 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thank you Patricia and Paul…this act is one of the most terrible and insidiously dangerous acts to be proposed in a long time. People take note, get your senators’ information and bombard them with letters and calls. Every chance you get or you will loose the last remaining wilderness areas

May 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I am optimistic that the Senate will not even take this garbage bill up. If the Democrats want to commit political suicide in an election year they would be wise not to even let it get to the floor. Obama and the Dems have been no friend to the environment these past few years and it would be stupid to alienate their base even more. Of course I didn’t think the Wisconsin wolf kill bill would have gotten as far as it did. Boy was i wrong. The country is entering a very scary phase where we are allowing insane extremists to control everything from the environment to what women do with their bodies. I am so sick and tired of these so called “small government” types and their hypocrisy. they are against “big government” when it helps the poor and middle class, but all for it when they can push their theocratic ideology on women and to dominate these rest of us with it. In my opinion much of this insanity boils down to the simp fact that we have a black man as president. Obama has caved to just about everything the Tea Party fascists have wanted yet they still refuse to cooperate and work in a bi-partisan manner. Just like that thug Walker here in Wisconsin. We are in for a very scary time in this country if we allow this insanity to continue.

May 27, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I read her columns and I’m mentally drained. I,m so fed up that the large enviro organizations don’t stick together, pull in their members and let the Earthjustice lawyers sue the pants off of whomever[?] deserves it at that time. I had a couple stop by today canvassing for the recall and they didn’t know a thing about the wolves. They sure can’t stand the NRA. He collects guns but doesn’t hunt. They said a lot of people are getting out the vote on their own.

May 28, 2012 at 1:10 am

The polls are showing Walker winning but I am not so sure. I have never seen such a divide in this or any state for that matter. This guy has to go or Wisconsin will not be recognizable at all in the next two years. As for the wolves no one seems to know what is happening to them. When I tell people what the state has planned they are horrified. Where is the national media on this? Idaho and Montana slaughtered over 500 wolves and you almost heard nothing from the national media.

3. Diane

May 28, 2012 at 8:03 am

I wondered too-where is the national media. I know I am sitting in rural WI on vacation this week & talking smart & thinking too much, but what about a press release to a bunch of papers (preferably large papers) maybe re: this wonderful new wildlife organization called VOW-maybe lead in with the neat squirrel story & a followup with how the squirrels are doing or some other human interest story from one of the animal rehab centers or maybe about the animal rehab center. Then delve into the plight of WI wilflife- talk about the plight of the wolf & bear cubs/hounding. People just don’t know. The media does look for stories to fill their space. Start with human interest, then draw them in. If the article is interesting enough & creates enogh pulic interest maybe AP press would pick it up. I know it is easy to talk smart, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Even if Walker loses; this is now law & it’s not going to go away without public scrutiny & pressure. “The pen is mightier than the sword”

4. Diane

May 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

I think this is spring is a time of the year when people are receptive to warm fuzzy articles re: animals, animal babies etc. It seems like there is some wierd shift in mindset in WI residents once late summer/fall comes. It’s almost a primal shift; must HUNT! must KILL! Like I said warm fuzzy could draw them in ; then go into the real agenda. Now I will be good & I will be quiet for a while

5. Diane

May 28, 2012 at 9:36 am

I know I was going to be quiet….just 1 more thing-the article could not be political; 50 % of the people would be alienated right off the top. The dirty deed has been done by Walker & legislators who have sold their soul to the devil-now it’s about the animals. I would personally write the letter if I were articulate enough or good looking enough to give an interview should any one ask. Signing out & off

May 28, 2012 at 11:29 am

There is no reason to keep quite. We value input and ideas from all living wildlife advocates. Walker is the prototype for fascist right wing governors all over this country. They make the claim that they are for “small government” but want to control everything from the air we breathe to what happens in our bedroom. As the famous quote goes:

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

We are seeing this right before our eyes.

6. Maureen

May 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm

How is it that the people of Wisconsin don’t know about what the state is planning to do? I’m Canadian and I know about the impending wolf slaughter.

May 29, 2012 at 11:26 pm

We know that they plan a slaughter, but we don’t know how many they are going to be allowed to kill. The problem is that the whole process was pushed through with blistering speed and the general public was pretty much shut out of the process in favor of the extreme hunting groups.