I have read some insulting and blatant attacks on living wildlife advocates but this one takes the prize for brazenness. This article was written by Rob Sexton of the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance. This group is as pro-killing as you can get. They proudly wage war against the “antis” and are fierce supporters of hounding, trapping, and other barbaric tactics. They also fight against any basic care requirement laws for their dogs. Of all of the insane pro-killing rants that this group is responsible for this one may be the most insulting and extreme.
From the post:
“There are so many reasons why the left-wing should love American hunters.
Here are seven:
- We’re a minority. There are roughly 20 million hunters in the United States, making us less than seven percent of the population. Democrats purport to be the champions of the under-represented. Here we are!
- We eat free range / organic food. Democrats decry large livestock farms, and the use of hormones in meat. Whether deer or duck, game is the ultimate healthy choice. What’s the difference between free-range chicken and free-range pheasant?
- We preserve green space. No single group of Americans puts more money into habitat acquisition and preservation than hunters…billions upon billions of our license dollars and taxes on firearms and ammunition for land that everyone else can use for free. I thought Democrats love free stuff!
- We feed the hungry. Each year, hunters donate thousands of pounds of venison to local food pantries. One would think the party of the Great Society would welcome our contribution to the safety net.
- We support women’s rights. There are few things that make a sportsman happier than successfully hooking a woman on hunting. We’re even okay that they outshoot us many times.
- We’re just regular folks. For every African big-game hunter, there are thousands of hunters making a blue-collar living, and driving our American made trucks.
- We’re animal lovers. Hunters are the ones who pay for endangered species rehabilitation, not Hollywood actors or fashion models. And don’t even get me started on our dogs. No one loves and is more obsessed with dogs than hunters. And we don’t keep our dogs caged in purses where they can’t even turn around or stretch their legs.
My hope is that our left-leaning law makers will read this article, and realize that we really do have so much in common. And that they will join the minority of Democratic legislators who do vote pro-hunting and put an end to the discrimination that we have endured over the last thirty plus years. I’m hoping their position on hunting is evolving.”
Discrimination? Give me a break! With comments like “I thought Democrats love free stuff” this guy wonders why there is such disdain for his kind among the left? This guy even goes as far as saying that the California bill to ban bear hounding is a bill to “ban hunting.” In this article the same author talks about the gallant struggle of California hounders to keep their “sport” legal by using these words:
“And they will take note of who supported their right to hunt, fish, trap and shoot in their hour of need.”
My heart just breaks for those poor hounders and their “hour of need.” Why not have them move to Wisconsin where dog fighting is now legal and hounding is a a cherished “tradition?” Yes, they love their dogs so much. Is this the type of group that the hunting community wants to represent them? Keep pushing this garbage and your kill everything agenda. You may have the upper hand now, but the public is catching on. Hunters need to decide if the damage that groups like these are doing to their image for short-term gain will be worth it in the long run.