When Humanity is Both Revolting and Inspiring

26 Jun

Rescued goose with likely gunshot wound to chest.

During my 13 1/2 years as an emergency services dispatcher, I became the “go-to” person when it came to evaluating and transporting injured and orphaned wildlife in my area. I feel honored to be the person that law enforcement in my area calls when there are injured or orphaned wildlife.

Last night I received a phone call from one of my friends and former co-woker about an injured goose that a young family found in Pardeeville. The goose was lethargic and had a wound in their chest. The people that found the goose contacted their local sheriff’s department and a deputy responded to the location. My former co-woker called me and asked what they should do. She then connected me with the deputy. He flat out told me that it “wasn’t his job” to deal with injured animals and he wanted to wash his hands of the whole situation. Dismayed, I asked to speak to the person who found the goose. The man told me that he would be able to take the goose home overnight and provide food and shelter for him/her until I could pick them up in the morning. I told him that it was the molting season for Canada Geese so they would not be able to fly and just to provide a warm and safe area for the bird. He said that he would keep the goose on his porch.

Today, I drove to Pardeeville to pick up the goose and transport him/her to Four Lakes Wildlife Center. When I arrived the man that I spoke to the night before told me that he gave the goose water and some bread and he/she was much more lively this morning. This was encouraging. I then picked up the goose after a short pursuit :). When I looked at the wound my worst fears were realized. It was not a bite from a predator, and it appeared to have been caused by a small caliber bullet, possibly a .22 caliber. The goose made a wheezing sound when breathing, but otherwise appeared to be in decent shape considering that some thug had shot him/her. I thanked the family and drove the goose to Four Lakes in Madison. The person at Four Lakes who took the goose in agreed with me that it appeared to be a bullet wound.

The fact that this poor defenseless goose was shot when unable to fly and long outside of the killing season absolutely disgusted me. Considering that the shooter used a small caliber bullet shows me that this shooting was likely nothing more than “target practice” for some sick person. What is inspiring is that this young family saw this injured goose and immediately had to take action to help him/her. They opened up a part of their home  overnight for this poor injured animal and gently provided nurturing care. We had a laugh about their surprise at how much poop a goose produces. The little guy provided more of that on the way to Madison too.

With all of the cold and heartless people that wildlife life advocates have to deal with, read about, and hear of every day it is always a good feeling to be able to save a victim of a sadistic act. This year I have rescued and transported the goose, three baby squirrels that were in a tree that was cut down, and eight baby bunnies whose mother was killed, likely by a loose cat. This has actually been a light year because of the lack of severe weather. When we experienced severe weather in the past I would get at least a couple of orphan or injured bird calls a week. There are actually some benefits to the recent dry spell that we have been experiencing. Today I have some renewed faith in humanity. I am going to cherish that until the next bad news about wildlife reaches my ears or eyes.

Posted by on June 26, 2012 in Uncategorized

12 responses to “When Humanity is Both Revolting and Inspiring

1. Maureen

June 26, 2012 at 5:53 pm

We are indeed a funny species. On the one hand, we’re capable of the most heinous acts of sadism and cruelty, and on the other, the most sublime acts of love and compassion. I’m glad the goose was rescued and brought to a wildlife center for treatment.

June 26, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I tell you I would love to find the sick bastard who did this to him/her. I love geese they are so full of attitude and personality that it is impossible not to laugh at their antics. Even this little one was acting nutty even though seriously injured. I think the goose knew that I was there to help her because she calmed right down when I picked her up. She was the first goose that I dealt with who didn’t try to bite me.

June 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

We did have a coyote in the neighborhood and I even had the pup in my patio. But they are so popular that people took pictures and the poor thing moved on. I know she’s gone cause my bunnies are back and I feed them peanuts under the bird feeders. I try to take care of everybody. I spend a fortune on cat food and birdseed

June 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I have always had a soft spot for coyotes. I cannot believe that there is such hatred for them. They are even more persecuted than wolves are and it makes me sad. I remember visiting a wildlife center in Asheville NC a few years ago and they had a coyote in a large enclosure area. When my wife and I walked up to look down at her she wagged her tail when she saw us just like a domestic dog would do. I saw something in her eyes that made me fall in love with coyotes. I love all animals, but there are very few that I see that same spark of life that I saw in this beautiful coyote. Apparently the bastard who persecute these poor animals lack that same ability to see what I saw.

3. Diane

June 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I agree-coyotes are nifty creatures. I certainly don’t understand the utter disdain people feel for them. They seem to think torturing & killing them is perfectly acceptable. If I hear people coyote bashing I speak up & let them know I “like” coyotes. Of course @ this point they usually look @ me like I’m from another planet. They don’t usually argue with me; I like to think perhaps I have given them pause to look @ coyotes differently. I know I am probably kidding myself, but I do feel a mission & a calling to try to persade people whenever possible in a non confrontational way that life is sacred & every creature is on earth for a reason.

June 28, 2012 at 1:34 am

Coyotes were very important to me because they ate my dead sheep. We had a graveyard and we partially covered the sheep with rocks and the coyotes finished it off. I only saw one is 20 years. They would come down to the barn,managed to crawl under a well made fence and drink h2o from the waterers. Never bothered the sheep which were big and mean. The dairy industry wouldn’t allow the dead truck to pick up sheep due to some brain disease that I forgot how to spell. Dead trucks are revolting and I was glad to never see it again. I like coyotes.

June 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

What many people do not seem to understand is that the animals they consider to be “vermin” or “pests” are really nature’s “garbage men.” Coyotes, crows, raccoons, and other animals provide a great service for all of nature by disposing of dead animals. Sure they can get into garbage and cause a mess, but what do we expect from such intelligent animals?

June 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

Of course what anti-wolf people don’t understand, is for every wolf killed more coyotes move in to take it,s place. Mother Nature works that way. Never fool with Mother Nature.

June 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm

typo error its. Time to put the air on. my fingers are sticking to the keyes. rali- did you read the article in the WSJ yesterday about dogfighting? It’s part of the farm bill. This is beautiful because I would think it could open the door to The Humane Society sueing the states for hounding. They are involved with the provision now. I mean if you are caught bringing a child to a fight, you will pay $250,000. $100,000 if you’re caught plus time in the pen. Same for cockfighting.

June 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

The problem is that the state legislatures always write “exceptions” for hunting and trapping into animal cruelty laws. Court rulings in Wisconsin have shown that animal cruelty laws apply to wild animals, but somehow activities like hounding and trapping are still allowed. I still cannot wrap my mind around how Wisconsin thinks that it is perfectly okay to pit packs of dogs against wolves and coyotes. How can anyone in their right mind not see that this is indeed legalized dog fighting. Both the DNR and Natural Resources Board expressed concern over this yet it is moving forward because they claim that their hands are tied by the wolf kill bill. This is shameful.

June 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’m anxious to see the DNR results of their survey. This may well land in the court of public opinion. Did you read WSJ editorial the other day on making sure we have a sustainable wolf population?

June 28, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I saw that. I also saw that they complained about the wolf kill bill passed by the legislature. Where were they when the bill was in the legislature? I also do not understand why no one has looked into the scam that is the “depredation” payments. You don’t have your air on yet? You are far tougher than me. Our central air went out on Monday and our landlord finally got someone here yesterday to fix it. We have an upstairs apartment that faces the south and west so we have the sun in our windows all day. If we don’t run the AC in the summer it gets unbearably hot in here. I hate that we use so much energy to cool the apartment, but we don’t have a choice. It was in the mid-80’s in here Tuesday night. I am so glad that it is fixed. It is amazing how spoiled that we have become as a species. I grew up without AC and now I whine when I don’t have it.