Damning Testimony From Former DNR Biologist About Wolf Kill Bill

19 Jul

Today, I received more of the testimony from Tuesday’s Natural Resources Board Hearing. Along with the usual “kill ’em all” drive from the anti-wolf factions in the state, there is some very intriguing testimony from retired DNR biologist, Richard Thiel, that calls out the disinformation and lies from Scott Suder and his allies regarding their “writing” the wolf kill bill in cooperation with the DNR. Here is just a taste:

“We do know as a matter of public record that the DNR supplied a Division Adminstrator and a staff lawyer at both the Assembly and Senate’s public hearings. It will be argued in defense that this is standard operating procedure. But with such a sensitive task at hand – moving a species that was considered federally endangered a mere 5 days earlier – to a hunted species with a near-term goal of cutting that same population by nearly 2/3rds (viz. 850 to 350), any reasonable citizen may seriously question what the Agency’s top administrators really had in mind when all they supplied to those public hearings were a Division administrator and a staff lawyer to answer questions. Let me be clear here because I professionally know and worked with these two individuals, the administrator and staff lawyer the DNR supplied are not wolf experts. And I know they did not adequately answer the questions of the Assembly and Senate committee members because I attended – in person – both hearings. As a final observation, having sat through and gone through transcripts of the testimonies at the two public hearings in the Legislature, it is no coincidence that in their testimony both Reps. Suder and Revard did not identify, by name, the Department experts they consulted with. I ask whom did the Agency supply to legislators as “experts”? And when did they consult with legislators?”

There is much more in the downloads below. Scott Suder and his bear hounder benefactors need to be called out for spitting in the face of our democracy and pandering to a tiny special interest. Please share this far and wide. People are beginning to pay attention to who Scott Suder, the DNR, and the Natural Resources Board really work for. It sure isn’t the citizens of Wisconsin. It’s time to make some noise and speak out against this travesty.

Richard Thiel Testimony

Thiel Addendum Testimony Re: Wolf Hunting with Dogs

More Testimony

Posted by on July 19, 2012 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

16 responses to “Damning Testimony From Former DNR Biologist About Wolf Kill Bill

July 20, 2012 at 1:53 am

One thing is clear. Suder needs to be stopped. Wisconsin up until now did verything right in reference to wolf management. Now Walker and Suder want to unravel 30 years of work by Thiel in order to pander to the Wisconsin Bear Hunters and Wisconsin Wildlife Federation. Outrageous. This proves the hunting and trapping groups have no clue what science based wildlife management consists of.

July 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

Chance, I do think you nailed it with your assessment re: Walker, Suder, WI bear hunters & WI Wildlife Fed. WI Farm Bureau also needs to be added to the list of those who appear to be hell bent on making the decimation of wolves in WI a priority.

• chance

July 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

I have put out calls to Bill Gibson from the Earth Island Journal. We need national exposure to expose what the Walker Administration is trying to do….These people are not trustworthy. Suder is a weasel. George and Corky Meyer have a surprise coming- and it’s called sunlight. I’m not sure how well the sun can disinfect slime.

2. Della munnich

July 20, 2012 at 2:44 am

Re posting! Thank you again

3. Nancy Wolfwatcher

July 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

I, too, have asked the DNR just when did they become aware of the legislation (legislators had said they met with DNR) especially considering DNR issued a press release the same week the legislation was introduced stating there were NO plans for a hunting season and if/when a hunting season is proposed there would be extensive public input. Kurt Thiede never answered my question.

July 20, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Suder and his allies spit in the face of the citizens in this state when he pushed this insane bill through. The bear hounders admitted in the senate hearing that they wrote the bill with their seven lawyers. Suder flat out lied and it amazes me that no one seemed to care. This guy is ALECs lapdog in Wisconsin yet he seems to fly under the radar. This guy is the ultimate special interest shill. He is so arrogant that he truly believes that he has total control over the fate of wolves in Wisconsin. Notice how he said “demand” in his comments. This guy is more dangerous than Walker in my opinion because he is ALECs water boy in this state and we all have seen what they are all about. We need to get the word out there about this guy and his lies.

4. Patricia Randolph

July 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

The DNR plan in place that the wolf was delisted to was originally a plan for no hunt and the delisting was to allow depredation killing (which is concentrated on 6%of wolf territory by very few wolves, and 92% predictable which wolves would predate.

I believe the overall drive has to be that humans must learn to co-exist with natural predators AND their predation. Think of it this way. In Wisconsin, humans raise 3.4 million cattle per year for human predation through slaughterhouses. Are we the only species allowed to eat? When did tithing and sharing become outdated? These animals have a right to eat and we must learn to share.

Their predation should not be demonized while humans are causing the most massive climate change (up to 50% of it caused by slaughterhouse animal production, which is high in refrigeration, transport, and takes 11 times the land out of wild habitat to grow grain and corn for fattening cattle). The methane of cattle is 300 times more potent in causing global warming than CO2. 55 billion livestock being raised for slaughter on planet earth. You do the math.

So wolves are not any problem at all. We have a human problem. And we should turn our attention to addressing human caused climate change, human caused massive wildlife extinction, and the destruction of the natural world by human ignorance and abuse. Overpopulation of humans at the top of the list. Certainly not wolves.

• chance

July 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Wolves are not the problem. Scott Suder is the problem. He is a weasel. Everyone that I talk to about Suder says the same thing……LIAR. He’s had his whole life to practice being dishonest. He picked the perfect profession for a LIAR- Politician….

• ramses (@traeh79)

July 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Your last paragraph (especially) says it all Patricia – I agree with everything you wrote.

July 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Did you read the letter to the editor-WSJ the other day wishing people would buy the application fee for $10 [wolf tags] and then the $100 license fee if chosen and then of course, not use it.

July 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I’m not yet sure how I feel about this. The problem is that the money from their killing licenses goes to pay off the bear hounders. That is the reason why I never bought the wolf plates. Of course any way that we can make it harder for them to kill wolves is a positive. I don’t know what to think yet about this.

6. moquah

July 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm

If people are awarded tags and don’t use them this will result in more tags being issued the following season, which could lead to overharvest. It’s a bad idea.

7. Michael Guest

May 12, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Enough is enough. Stop playing games and help those wolves. No more anti-wildlife assaults. I am against wolf hunts. I want them stopped for good. Get this message: Save the wolves, and stop the hunting and trapping.

8. loboluvr

May 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Shared. I attended one DNR hearing this past winter and saw the blatant catering of the DNR board to “special interest” Bear hunting representatives. I couldn’t believe both my eyes or ears! Makes me wonder if someone’s pockets are being lined in order for them to get what they want???

9. Chris

May 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Here’s what I’m doing, I follow the hounders about and take their pictures, including their vehicles license plate number. I do this in the most obvious of manners, I pull up along side of them, get out and start shooting! The effect is marvelous, like Mafioso exiting courtrooms, they immediately begin covering up. I am not shy, I inform them as to just where their images are going to be posted.

Now that dogs have been approved for “ahh” trailing wolves, I intend to start harvesting every plott hound I encounter, I hate them with a deep & abiding hatred. If I see any exotic fighting breeds, such as Ridgebacks, pit bulls, or true wolf hounds upon my land, they are going to be destroyed out of hand.

This I swear before creation, I know how to kill too….

• julie long gallegos

October 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I applaud Chris’ dedication and hope he can do all he intends to do!