08 Aug

It’s time to expose those who wish to destroy our wolves. Thank you to the groups who filed this suit.

A lawsuit has just been filed by a coalition of wildlife advocates to put a halt to Wisconsin’s brutal and barbaric wolf killing season. Here is what the National Wolf Watcher Coalition said in a press release:

“On January 27, 2012, after a forty-year restoration effort and millions of federal and state dollars and citizen resources, the gray wolf was removed from federal Endangered Species protection and returned to state management in the Western Great Lakes region. Shortly thereafter, Wisconsin legislators passed Wisconsin Act 169 to establish a Wisconsin Wolf Harvest encompassing a 4/12 month long hunting and trapping season and authorizing an extensive array of hunting methods including use of dogs, 24/7 night-and-day hunting, leg-hold traps, artificial calls, and hunting over bait.

Today, August 7, 2012, the National Wolfwatcher Coalition filed a lawsuit, along with seven other plaintiffs, against the Wisconsin DNR and the Natural Resources Board seeking an injunction re: the Wisconsin DNR’s new rules establishing a Wolf Hunting Season in Wisconsin-specifically, the rules’ authorization of the use of dogs as a method to hunt wolves in the state.”

Read the full press release here:

And of course the leader of the deceptively named hunting group the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, George Meyer, immediately jumps to the defense of the bill:

“We’re not suprised that a lawsuit was filed,” said George Meyer, executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation and former DNR Secretary. “It’s interesting that it doesn’t challenge the delisting but focuses on a form of hunting.”

Lawsuits filed in federal court had twice returned the wolf to protections of the federal Endangered Species Act in the last decade. As the wolf population increased in Wisconsin and regionally, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had sought to remove ESA protections.

Meyer said Chapter 29 of Wisconsin Statutes provides protection to hunting, fishing and trapping from lawsuits that claim the activities are “inhumane.”

“The language was put there specifically to prevent this type of lawsuit,” said Meyer, also a lawyer. “It will be interesting to see how the judge rules on it.”

Of course Meyer thinks that brutal and archaic acts like hounding should be protected under state law. State sanctioned cruelty. Disgusting. What Meyer seems not to understand is that the delisting cannot be challenged in state court, while the law can. This is just the beginning. Do not be surprised to see a lawsuit in federal court soon as well. These extremists have overreached in their typical way. It’s time people like Meyer, Rep. Scott Suder (R-ALEC, WBHA), and their allies are called out. The same goes for the “Republican-Lite” Democrats who supported and voted for this sadistic bill. Lena Taylor, I am referring to you.

Here are a couple of just released articles about the lawsuit:

Lawsuit against DNR seeks to stop wolf hunt

Lawsuit filed to stop Wisconsin wolf hunting season

Let’s support these groups in any way that we can. I will start by giving the National Wolf Watcher Coalition a donation today. You should too.

Posted by on August 8, 2012 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

12 responses to “****BREAKING NEWS**** Lawsuit Filed In Wisconsin Court Challenging Wolf Kill Bill

1. L

August 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Thank God!!! I was wondering when a lawsuit was going to be filed by somebody. I sent emails to the WI Humane Society about this legislation throughout this Bill process, and I hope I had some teeny tiny part in making a difference. (As well as testifying in Stevens Point.) I see that the Fox Valley Humane Society was one of the plaintiffs. We adopted our 2 older cats from them a few years ago. I will be increasing my donations to them and will send them a letter of thanks. I also noted that the Green Bay Area Humane Society was NOT one of the plaintiffs. If you live near Green Bay, call them and ask why not.

• madravenspeak

August 8, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Wildlife Ethic asked to be one of the plaintiffs – not sure why not.

• Nancy

August 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The attorneys decided who would be plaintiffs and which issues would be raised.

2. madravenspeak

August 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Glad you called out Lena Taylor for adding an amendment to drop backtags from bear hounders who trespass and now cannot be identified. Mason and Danou, Democrats on the Natural Resources Assembly Committee – although noting that wolves would be treated worse than “vermin” – voted for this along with Democratic minority leader Peter Barca and Democrats Doyle, Hintz, Jorgensen, Milroy, Molepske, Seidel, Turner, and Vruwink, and then every Republican rep who voted, without exception. Vote these people out of office and consider running against them. That is just the assembly.

3. Nancy

August 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Patricia!

4. rali74

August 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I sent a $50 donation to the National Wolfwatcher Coalition on behalf of Wisconsin Wildlife Ethic. I hope that others will do the same. This lawsuit is the first good news that wolf advocates have had in a while. The tide is turning and it is indeed time to push back against the extremist legislators like Suder and the extremist groups like the Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association and George Meyer’s Wisconsin Wildlife Federation. This is a great first step in exposing the brutal agenda of these people. We must bring democracy to wildlife “management” in Wisconsin and across the nation. The hounders have really overreached on this.

August 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I’m surprised that Lena Taylor added politics to the hunt. I thought she was smarter and more humane than that. I’m really disappointed in her. I will contact Wolfwatcher tomorrow. But I need a phone number since I am prepared to give a substantial amount to the cause. I’ve been waiting for this. Rali – who are the lawyers? Also, did you read about the poisoning investigation by the Feds. in Montana? Howling for Justice had that today. 4 wolves and 6 eagles. Proof that more than the wolves will be killed in this witch hunt. Killing eagles is a big no no with the public except for western sheep farmers. They have been known to poison golden eagles. My heart is working overtime. This is good news.

6. Sue Barko Harrington

August 8, 2012 at 11:53 pm

PLEASE COME AND FILE A SUIT IN MINNESOTA TO….PLEASE, PLEASE…..DO SOMETHING IT IS KILLING ME….AND SO WAS WISCONSINS….THANKS WOLF WATCHERS…LOVE YA

7. Sue Barko Harrington

August 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Please come and file a suit in Minnesota to….please, please do….do something to stop this it is killing me….and so was wisconsins….thanks wolf watchers, love ya…..urock

August 9, 2012 at 12:19 am

Read the Sentinel article-Habush & Habush. Super!

9. Maggie Schafer

August 9, 2012 at 5:48 am

Its about time!!!! I am so sick of these special interests being catered to at the expense of wildlife! Shame shame shame on our elected officials who DO NOT LISTEN to the majority of the public! I think they all need to be tossed out and new ones brought in! Both candidates for President are just as bad – Obama started this mess and you can be assured that Romney will pursue it with a vengence!

August 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Sue- I recieved an e-mail which I can’t find, from Earthjustice that they are planning to sue Minnesota along with Wyoming. Check with them on their site. I want to see no wolf hunt at all. What will be done about that? Hopefully this is just a start. And I don’t understand the tribe’s 50%of what? Tags- dead wolves. Why aren’t they sueing?