Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Buys Into Bear Hounder and Anti-Wolf Propaganda

10 Aug

The largest newspaper in the state posts about how “concerned” they are about “one provision” derailing this fall’s planned wolf slaughter.

“However a judge rules on the wisdom of allowing dogs to participate in wolf hunts in Wisconsin, the wolf season generally should be allowed to take place. The wolf population in the state needs to be curbed to maintain a proper balance between nature and humans and to keep the population at a sustainable level. Right now, the population is far beyond the numbers planned as a recovery goal.”

A single provision should not upend state wolf hunt

Do these people really think that it is a “single provision” that brought about the lawsuit? And of course they buy into the bear hounder propaganda that wolves are “out of control.” Then of course we have the kill everything George Meyer of the deceptively named hunting group the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation chiming in:

“Supporters of the rule such as the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation argue that there is no basis to believe that wolves and dogs would fight. George Meyer of the federation told the Editorial Board Thursday that the most likely scenario would be for wolves to try to get away from dogs just as coyotes and bears do. Dogs would simply be used to flush out the wolves and send them in the direction of waiting hunters, he said. And generally speaking, dogs don’t get into fights with bears and coyotes.

It’s an argument that makes sense, but wolves aren’t coyotes or bears. They are generally more aggressive, and few people have any modern-day experience using dogs to hunt wolves. No one really knows what will happen.”

Of course isn’t it convenient that the foremost hounder in Wisconsin, Corky Meyer, just happens to be George’s brother? Isn’t it amazing how every time there is a news story about wildlife, the run to George Meyer? He is NOT a biologist, and he is a proponent of every brutal and archaic method of hunting and trapping known to man. Maybe it is time for a little balance. Why do hunters allow extremists like the Meyer brother to speak for them? Please comment on this ridiculous editorial.

Posted by on August 10, 2012 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

13 responses to “Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Buys Into Bear Hounder and Anti-Wolf Propaganda

August 10, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Dogs would simply be used to flush the wolves and send them in the direction of waiting hunters…..They aren’t embarrassed. real “sportmen”

2. Florence Eaise

August 10, 2012 at 9:58 pm

well said Chance ive always said that hunters are cowards! You want to impress me? Try hunting without any weapons, just your own two little hands!Lets see what you catch lmao!

3. etccj

August 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm

The older I get the more furious. I become. Remember the mjs endorsed walker puppet for the ones who just want a canned wolf hunt. What’s next hunting and torturing a human. Isn’t that how it goes? First pull wings off flies moving to large insects, to frogs and so on and so on, until they’re up to bigger and bigger animals till its not any fun and becoming bored. What’s left? Ah a human. Society is horrified. How could this happen? Do we have to kick them in the butt? There is something wrong with people who kill,taking a life is just wrong. I’m 58 yrs old and have seen and heard so much.

August 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I’m with you. I am also 58 years old & the more I see; the angrier I get-I used to have a utopian attitude that the world would become more civillized over time & love & peace would reign. Then the era of Walker & the current WI legislature emerged & now I realize I have buried my head in the sand. WI is a shitty place & as time goes on, it appears as though there is little hope. I will fight this redneck mindset with every resource I have. The legislators I believed would @ least listen to concerns re: the environment & wildlife reallly don’t give a damn & have sold their souls to special interests. I really want to try to make this world a better place for wildlife before my time is up on this planet.

• m.mixson

August 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Very well said.

August 11, 2012 at 12:10 am

I took a National Wildlife Federation survey which I gave it to them about George. I’m leaving that group.rali- what about the wolf hunt itself. Are they planning on calling the whole thing off because of the dogs. I mean give me a break the wolves can be killed or seriously hurt by a dog pack. I agree with you chance, flush them out, now what kind of hunting is that. It’s a form of a trap. What are the tribes going to do. Every one know the California wolves will be protected. I’m 69 and not afraid to speak out. What are they going to do- chew us up and spit us out? Send a letter to the Sentinel or leave a comment.

5. Sandra McGee

August 11, 2012 at 12:33 am

They just crazier & crazier. When will the madness end is what I want to know. All these f_ck nuts
    are out there spouting “their” shit (dis-honest shit@ that) & it seems that no one cares? Where are the people who care (besides us) where are the politicians, oh that’s right they are to busy taking money from lobbyist’s. Really, we live in a country that is shameful. jmho.

• chance

August 11, 2012 at 9:08 am

You had the chance to boot Walker out of office. People reelected him because they were uneasy about recall as a motive? The man is being investigated…..The way he treats wildlife and the “wolf herd”. remember that gem? Everything he and conservatives do is based on politics-everything…..

August 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

I agree with you. I think it was a backlash on the cost of the recall election. All states with Tea Party governors are being supprested in some way. Michigan still protects their wolves but the state politics is a disaster. Walker has the Koch brothers. People are not suffering enough but just wait til Ryan comes on the scene and everybody freaks out about Medicare and SS. I’m contemplating calling the state Dems office and telling them that a message needs to get to the President to re-enlist the wolf on the ESA. He needs the 20mil or better wolf advocate vote or he may not be re-elected. Obama is totally ignorant of life beyond the city limits and has given that job to the Ag secretary and cowboy Kenny which = the Farm Bureau.

7. m.mixson

August 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm

“Flush out the wolves” in the direction of the hunter. Have your brain been asleep? Dogs fight when they are in danger. Humans do the same. Trying to hide your lust for blood lusting sports is shown. You say a lot words, but say nothing protecting My Father’s creation. Wolves feel pain and bleed red. Are you so hard hearted to deny this fact. To hunt withdogs, one has to the lowest form of male living. May God see your inner man and reveal the ugliness you have hidden and deliver your just reward. He his watching you Myers and know your thoughts and next move. Your move Father.

August 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Ecclesiastes 3: 18-22.

9. shirley

August 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Don’t waste your time with the NWF. I emailed them several times to their annoyance. It supports the hunt and is an advocate for hunters even after I filled them in with all the details. I think now that anything with the words “Wildlife Federation” is corrupt. NWF is not as bad as WWF but bad enough for me.
    What is the best newspaper to try for a letter to the editor? What part of the state? I wrote a few- they’re ready to go.

August 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I say send it to every paper in the state. People need to know how out of control this state is. The NWF should be ashamed of themselves by being in bed with someone like George Meyer. Their website makes them look like they are pro-wildlife but their affiliates make their true colors show through.