The “Dominion” Shield and Coyote Torture

29 Aug

I often wonder what life would be like if I felt the same lack of empathy and disdain for other living creatures that we see from a good number of “sportsmen” and others in our society. I am the first to admit that I am not a religious person or even a believer in any spiritual dogma. I also have nothing against anyone who does have those beliefs. That being said I find it highly hypocritical of many “believers” who claim to be “pro-life” yet get extreme pleasure tormenting and killing animals. I also wonder how it is possible for these very same people to use their religious beliefs to deny that these beings are capable of even feeling pain and are only here for our benefit and amusement. You see this when animals are described as “game,” “vermin,” or “livestock.” You see this when “livestock” are “sent to market,” not KILLED. You also see this with wildlife when animals are not born they are “produced” or “recruited.” You also see this when animals are “taken” or “harvested” rather than KILLED.

The argument that the most extreme pro-killing elements in our society uses is that “God gave us “dominion” over animals. That is quite the shield that they can put over their conscience, if they even have one. To say and convince society at large that it is perfectly acceptable to enslave and kill billions of domestic animals and slaughter millions of wild animals all in the name of “recreation” is quite the coup. Most claim to “respect” the animals they kill, yet have no problem posting photographs of them leering over a bloody animal they claim to “respect.” I do not consider myself an “animal rights” activist because I view “rights” as being a law based human construct. However, there is such a thing as common decency and a responsibility not to exploit or cause pain to the species that we share this planet with for our own selfish and sadistic needs.

It is not easy loving and caring for animals. Each day we are bombarded by images showing how both domestic and wild animals suffer for our selfish wants and for the amusement of others. Hunters and trappers have made themselves the self-proclaimed “stewards of the land.” Quite the accomplishment considering it was hunters and trappers that decimated and wiped out wildlife populations all over the world. Today, they operate what are essentially large scale farms that allow for a steady stream of targets to provide “hunter opportunity.” They do this all under the guise of “conservation” and pretending that they really care for the environment while torturing and exploiting wildlife to satisfy their own bloodlust. I cannot fathom what it must be like to think this way.

Atheists, such as myself, are often accused of “not having morals” or “guidance” in life. One study even showed that rapists are trusted more than us. Really? It’s funny how that can be the case when I respect life, both human and animal, far more than many of these so called “pro-life” types do. Are atheists starting unnecessary wars? Are atheists destroying our environment in the name of selfish greed? Why am I pointing this out? Because atheists and living wildlife advocates have much in common. The mainstream attempts to paint us as “whack jobs” when we dare stand up for life and for what we believe or don’t believe. I have put my own life in danger to protect both humans and animals, yet I am painted as having no “morals.” I give back to my community and environment, yet I am painted as an “extremist.”

What is this rant leading to? A video recently surfaced showing a prominent Missouri Christian radio talk show host and “sportsman” trapping coyotes. No only is Brad Harris trapping these beautiful animals he appears to be hamming it up for the camera while the poor coyotes suffer in the traps.

Is this what “good” Christians think is acceptable? Is this “moral?” And yet this guy has the shield of “dominion” to protect him from anything his conscience may think is wrong, if he even has one. This is what Harris claims about himself:

“Brad’s love for the outdoors is not driven by business or public exposure. It is deeply rooted in heritage and tradition that has been passed down to him through generations of hunters in his family.”

Not driven by public exposure? This sadist posts this video on YouTube for the entire world to see and it isn’t for “public exposure.” Give me a break. Then there is this article that basically tries to minimize the daily torture that coyotes endure by saying that any outrage is because coyotes look like “ugly” dogs.

Is a Radio Host in the Ozarks Torturing Coyotes on Camera?

And atheists are “immoral” and living wildlife advocates are “whack jobs?” If this is what passes for Christian morality, I am glad that I went to the “dark side.”

10 responses to “The “Dominion” Shield and Coyote Torture

1. Rita k. Sharpe

August 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I am not going to make this into a religon forum but to many people use that dominion over animals without really knowing what it means and they just cherry pick the things out of the Bible to try to justify their actions.To many hunters,which they are not, get their jollies off this kind of stuff and spread their diseased beleif around.They are self serving and like cancer spread.I am a caretaker and everything is a gift.I will have to try harder to be the cure.

2. gannonned

August 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I am religious, though not in a conservative sense, and I find this quite compelling. http://io9.com/5937356/prominent-scientists-sign-declaration-that-animals-have-conscious-awareness-just-like-us

• Rita k. Sharpe

August 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So am I,gannonned.Thank you for the info.

August 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

And this is exactly what the “dominionists” fear most. I can’t believe this even needs to be explained to some people. Anyone who spends time with animals know exactly what they are capable of and how they exhibit feelings. To reiterate I have nothing against those who have religious beliefs, but I have much against those who use those beliefs to justify the enslavement, exploitation, and torture of other living beings. Honestly I think that the sadists only claim to be “religious” in order to not be judged for their sadism. Religion should be a force for compassion for all living beings, yet it is used as another weapon to justify the wholesale slaughter of wildlife.

3. Deb Potts

August 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

VERY WELL SAID. My feelings and sentiments almost to the tee.

August 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Thank you Deb. This is something that has been bugging me for a very long time.

4. gannonned

August 29, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better the following is a comment made to me or about me on a news discussion site about the legal precedings of the wolf hunt. First my comment, then his. This is midconversation after he said we can’t know the dogs are in danger until we try it.

“No, actually, we have quite a bit of evidence what happens when dogs tangle with wolves. And theories aside, it’s not very ethical to the dogs let alone what you think about the small wolf population. If you want to drive an animal to the brink of extinction based on some deep, irrational hatred of it, there are evidently plenty of self-serving politicians lined up to allow you to, but don’t pretend you hold some kind of informed, balanced, objective, or scientific view of things. Just admit that you’re self-serving and you want to indulge in some kind of macho trophy killing and move on with it. Honestly, how many of the people who bought permits have livestock in danger? That is, afterall, always the rationale we hear?”

“…and you have just proven that your a freaking nutjob, anti gun ,anti hunting, anti freedom kook. I have just nailed you to the wall with logic so now you have nowhere to go but the same old same old “if you can’t win throw rhetoric and name calling at them” mantra.

I thought I was dealing with a rational adult, but now I clearly see you are anything but.

Take care, get some help,sayonara, and good bye!!!”

I try not to let it get to me, but I honestly do lose sleep over stuff like this. I long for a better understanding with those of opposing viewpoints. So religion aside, I feel as demonized as you do.

Ned Gannon

August 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for your comment Ned. Name calling and generalizations are all people like this know. They try to equate being “anti-hunting” to being “anti-American.” They all use the same argument. They hate the government until it comes time to cash that nice fat subsidy check or use our public lands as their killing grounds. These arrogant bastards actually have the nerve to make us the enemy because we favor compassion and life over exploitation and death. I can have a dialog with ethical hunters, who seem to be few and far between, but I rarely bother to get into pissing matches with these internet tough guys anymore. What is the point? They have all of the answers and are always right apparently. They always try to paint us as gun hating, “anti-freedom” “nut jobs.” Funny, the only ones I see taking away “freedoms” are those on the right who wish to control women and impose their twisted sense of morality onto the rest of us. I served in the Army, own a gun (for protection), and strive to make the world a better place to live, and I also get called “anti-freedom.” Their idea if freedom is a world I do not want to be a part of. I seriously think that these people would go back to fighting Native Americans and have gun duels in the streets if they could get away with it. Things are getting very ugly in this country and it is not the “tree huggers” or “liberals” that are causing it.

5. gannonned

August 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm

…proceedings, I’m tired.

August 30, 2012 at 1:18 am

gannonned, they reply like that in the Missoulian too. Their ranting makes no sense and are a bit hysterical. I’ve learned how to deal with them. I just go along with them and pick away at every word they say. Drives them nuts. How about dominion over women. Republicans any one?