My Good Deed of the Day

19 Sep

My wife and I are in the midst of moving and things have been hectic to say the least. Because of our moving schedule and jobs I have not been able to participate in events like Fighting Bob Fest. I wanted so bad to meet many of you. The move packing is almost done and I got quite the surprise when I walked out to our apartment complex dumpster late this morning. As I was about to throw some items inside I saw a large bundle of gray fur  toward the back of the dumpster. My first thought was that some S.O.B. had killed something and dumped it there. Then much to my relief I saw three sets of adorable eyes staring back at me.

Three young raccoons had somehow found themselves stuck at the bottom of the dumpster. Gee, I wonder how that happened? Now I went into rescue mode. Two of the little guys seemed very curious about me and were okay with my presence. However one of the little ones let out a hearty growl each time I got close to them. After some searching I was able to find a couple of long wooden boards and made a little ramp for them to get out. Two of them climbed out right away and bolted while the third little one hung around for a little while as to say thank you to me.

With all of the massive killing and brutality that I fight to stop each day, this was a nice ray of light. I have personally saved many animals over the years but this is the first time I actually felt that the little ones appreciated what I did for them. Maybe it is just my imagination but I really saw appreciation in the eyes of those little raccoons. I think that most animals know what is in our hearts and these guys knew that I was not going to hurt them. I hope that they think twice before dumpster diving again though.

Posted by on September 19, 2012 in Other Wildlife, Wildlife

10 responses to “My Good Deed of the Day

1. gannonned

September 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Awesome. You made my day.

September 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thank you for that kind comment. I have been involved in transporting injured and orphaned wildlife for the past decade, but it is rare that I can rescue perfectly healthy wildlife. It made my day too!

2. Maureen

September 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thank you for rescuing these little sweeties. I believe too that animals know what’s in our hearts, and I don’t doubt these raccoons appreciate what you did for them.

3. Rita k. Sharpe

September 19, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Indeed,a hearty,thank you.

4. Suzanne Dunham

September 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

God bless you! This has happened quite often where I used to work, and it makes you feel so good to set these little guys free. Thank you.

September 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Good for you rali- I love the little guys. I fed 5 of them all summer long. Mommy would bring them to the back patio where I had cat food sprinkled on the floor. Now I don’t know who is showing up. But the cat food is disappearing. Yesterday I had a huge crow under the bird feeder and a groundhog in the neighbor’s lawn, ducks a few day’s ago.But hardly any birds. It’s very quiet. Good luck moving.

September 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thank you Bobette. This is a very dangerous time for wildlife with the fall bloodlust in the air, so every time I can save one it is a good thing.

6. Rhiannon Gomez

September 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

That was a wonderful story! Those little babies are too cute. Thanks for taking the time to help them out. It warms my heart to see others that feel the same way I do about animals and wanting to help them. I know for a fact that helping animals is the reason I am on this planet!

September 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Thank you for your kind words. This is the first time I have been able to rescue uninjured raccoons and it felt great.

7. Tomek

January 2, 2014 at 9:13 am

My God, thank you for your beautiful soul. I just cried watching heartless SOTB drawing same animal in Spain with his shoe. I cried and than I found your story and it made me smile. I have love and hate relationship with people seeing what they do sometimes. I just hope that our children grow to have a heart like you, because for some psychopaths of our generation is already too late. Thank you again for saving those beautiful creatures. Tomek