13 Oct

An article by pro-killing writer, Paul Smith, appeared this evening on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s website talking abut the upcoming wolf kill. Amidst all of the fluff about how “careful” the DNR is not to allow “over-harvest” of wolves there is a section about how a professional wildlife assassin from the despised USDA’s “Wildlife Services” gave a government sanctioned course to would be wolf killers about how to trap wolves. From the article:

Only a handful of people, mostly state and federal employees like Dave Ruid of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s wildlife services, have intentionally and with proper authorization trapped or hunted wolves in Wisconsin.

Ruid said the techniques for trapping wolves are very similar to those used for coyotes. At the clinic in Tomahawk, Ruid demonstrated a wolf set. It used a foot-hold trap concealed by dirt and leaves. A dog urine scent was used to mark a nearby log.

Trappers are likely to achieve higher rates of success, said Ruid. Of the 1,160 licenses issued in Wisconsin, 238 have some trapping experience or have purchased a trapping license in the past, according to the DNR.

So our tax money is paying for “clinics” that teach sadists how to bait and trap wolves. I expect this garbage from the kill everything types in the DNR, but why are the Feds putting on killing classes? Then we have DNR employee and bear hounder shill, Kurt Thiede, spreading more ridiculous fluffy propaganda:

“We are being as careful as possible,” said Thiede. “It is in everyone’s interest that we effectively manage wolves so we are able to retain management of these majestic creatures.”

Careful as possible? Really? Wanting to allow packs of vicious dogs to run rampant through the woods and fight wolves? Allowing 1600 sadists to target a population of 800 wolves night and day for five months? Allowing those same sadists to bait, use electronic calls, and trap? That sure sounds “careful” to me. By the way this is almost exactly what Rep. Scott Suder (R-ALEC) said during an interview on Wisconsin Public Radio back in February. It sure is funny how the bear hounders, Suder, and their shills like Thiede all use the same talking points. Who do they really work for?

Then there is a very well reasoned article from Ron Seely in the Wisconsin State Journal talking about how the wolf killing season, vehicle deaths, killings by Wildlife Services assassins, and poaching could cause between 46 to 57 percent of the wolf population to be killed over the next few months according to DNR wolf biologist Adrian Wydeven. Now I see why Rep. Scott Suder (R-Alec) and Rep. Roger (Some Girls Rape Easy) Rivard did not allow Mr. Wydeven to testify at their sham of a “public hearing.” From the article:

Wisconsin population studies, Wydeven said, have shown that 9 percent to 19 percent of the state’s wolves are killed illegally each year, 10 percent are killed in depredation control programs, and 3 percent to 4 percent are killed by vehicles. Add those numbers to the 24 percent harvest quotas, Wydeven said, and total, human-caused mortality is likely to be between 46 percent and 57 percent. Research has shown that wolves can tolerate up to about 29 percent to 35 percent human-caused mortality rates before populations decline, Wydeven reported to the Natural Resources Board.

So it is likely that over 50 percent of the wolf population will be killed before the wolf killing season ends in February. Of course that does not include the number of pregnant females that will be killed after the beginning of the year that will further decrease the population. Then we have Mr. Wydeven talking about how beneficial wolves are to the ecosystem in this article:

“Wisconsin’s wolf population has grown since then from a pair of wolves to roughly 850 wolves today,” Wydeven said. “As their numbers have grown, they have had a significant impact that has shown to benefit surrounding ecosystems.”

Wydeven will provide data and anecdotal evidence on how the growing wolf population has contributed to greater diversity of understory plants, as well as improved deer herd and trout stream conditions. In addition, he will touch on the controversy surrounding human interaction with wolves related to depredation and Wisconsin’s first wolf hunt to reduce their numbers.

So we have a respected DNR biologist talking about how over 50 percent of the population may be killed and how beneficial they are to the ecosystem while the DNR is all hot and bothered to kill as many wolves as they can in any way possible. What is wrong with this picture? Wolves in this state face very grave danger in the upcoming months. This threat is not just from the sadists who wish to trap, shoot, and hound wolves, but from ignorant politicians like Scott Suder who will surely push for increased kill numbers next year along with more extreme killing methods.

If Mr. Wydeven is correct and over half of the wolf population is killed we must not stand by and allow the federal government to sit on their hands. If this happens the wolf needs to be returned to the Endangered Species List and we need to make sure this happens. Please be vigilant as to what is happening if you live in wolf country. Do not hesitate to report poachers, trespassers, or hounders breaking the rules. If you do not want to report it directly send us a message and we will report it. The DNR must be held accountable and enforce their so called “rules” that they let trappers, hunters, and hounders so brazenly get away with. If you have video evidence of wrongdoing please share it with us. If you see photographs or videos on the internet of any violations please share the links. We cannot stand by and let these sadists continue to break laws and torture wildlife while the DNR looks the other way. This is not just for wolves. If you see any wildlife violations report it and let us or other wildlife advocacy groups know. The public must be made aware of what is really happening to our wildlife and who is enabling it.

Posted by on October 13, 2012 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “Five Month Wolf Slaughter Begins Monday and Why Are Federal Employees Giving Wolf Killing Lessons?

1. Pete Braun

October 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm

If I ever see anyone intending to kill a wolf, I would not hesitate to kill them right back. That’s my policy. Start liking it, haters!

October 13, 2012 at 11:08 pm

As much as we despise these sick sadists we cannot stoop to their level. Threats only give these slobs ammunition to use against us. The best way to deal with these scumbags is by publicly shaming them. Look at the outrage the photo of wolf torturer Josh Bransford caused. People in this country are slowly waking up to who these sadists really are and more and more are turning against them. Their overreach and arrogance will be their own doom. Look what is happening in California. They banned hounding and just listen to the whining and crying from the hounders. This war on predators is only making hunters look bad and many of the smart ones are already seeing this and turning away from the extremists. Please, I know that this pisses all of us off, but do not threaten them. We need to win in the court of public opinion. We cannot do that if we advocate violence like they do. Let them keep advocating for death, we will advocate for life. Who will come out looking better in the end?

• Bobette Traul

October 14, 2012 at 1:16 am

Pete, shoot them with your camera. If you’re in wolf territory, carry a camera at all times. Get their number if they wear one. One of the other groups was teaching how to spring a trap. Hang tough.

2. Maureen

October 13, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I don’t comment much on your blog, but I do read every post. I wish there was more I could do to help put an end to the f***ing insanity of the Wisconsin wolf slaughter.

October 13, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Maureen. I am more and more convinced each day that most of rural America is absolutely insane. I was born and raised in a small town surrounded by farms and I am nothing like most of those people. They call themselves “pro-life” but kill anything that moves. Then use religion to justify it. They vote for pandering nitwits like Romney and Lyin Ryan who couldn’t care less for them and then whine about the government and “socialism” while they cash their SSI checks and use Medicaid. I can see why other civilized countries despise us. Of course this wolf slaughter happened under Obama so insanity is on both sides.

3. della munnich

October 13, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thank You for your article. Josh Bransford opened pandoras box for me, and i must say i haven’t stopped spreading the word on these ignorant wolf haters. I do believe there are more of us love of wildlife supporters then there are those that abuse our wildlife. Unfortunately it is those in power that must be reached, and changed…and that is going to take some doing. We must all join together and do a lot of grass root work.

October 13, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Thank you. We need to stop letting the camo clad bullies intimidate us. They are nothing more than cowards who think that killing little animals make up for their inadequacies. A couple of months ago a wildlife advocate in the area found a dead coyote on the hood of her car. That is how these thugs operate. They are nothing more than cowards who hide behind their guns and their hunting clubs. I agree that we must not back down.

4. rachel tilsth

October 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

Dear Paricia, Perhaps you need to refrain from calling hunters muderers and then a person can hear your message.

October 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

I cannot speak for Patricia, but if someone sets out strictly to kill a wolf or other animal for recreation only what is it then? I make an effort not to lump all hunters together, but that is getting harder and harder.

5. wofl lover don't tread on me

October 14, 2012 at 6:16 pm

BRAVO PETER! Take the advise and make sure the camera is handy at all time. rali74 I have had a coyote head in my lap from my hunter brother who I want out of my way to pick up in the mountains. I pulled in and his friend came up and was so relived to see me … my camo studded brother throw the coyote head in my car on my lap. I myself would not hesitate at this stage in my life to do the honors they so love to inflict upon animals or even weaker humans. I was just a young girl when so called brother did this … through the rest of my years at home that same coyote head was mounted in his room. Such a tough camo, gun toting slef made man …. to this day he is only seen when I visit my mom, which is rarely, he lives with her so what does that say about him. Piece of crap on the bottom of my soul.

October 15, 2012 at 9:20 pm

People like that don’t know any different. How come people seem to see nothing wrong with decapitating an animal and hanging their head on a wall. What a disgusting and grisly way to prove your “manhood.” The same thing goes for the sadists who take grinning pictures over their kills, like Paul Ryan. Something is very wrong with these people and our society seems to think that this behavior is perfectly normal.

6. Linda Camac

October 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

All of the arguments against wolves do not hold water. Certainly wolves have the RIGHT to feed themselves — elk, deer, moose, bison is their natural prey. The ranchers don’t like it when they graze their cash cows on public lands–wolf territory–serving them up like room service to wolves…which, even so, only are responsible for LESS than 1% of livestock loss. And of course, the blood lustful trophy hunters want all the prey animals for themselves……they also want to ‘thrill kill’ wolves. If America cannot respect the wild wolf – who symbolizes freedom and the spirit of America…then we are on a moral decline.

7. bonnie

November 9, 2012 at 11:58 am

There are rules for trapping, but who is around to oversee them? The depleted WI DNR? Every trap is supposed to have the trappers name on it. They are supposed to be able to release the trap without harm to an animal that wasn’t to be trapped. Who believes this rot? I fear to walk in the woods now. I have fear of my dog or me stepping into a trap. Anyone who thinks this is not torture, tie yourself to a tree overnight, without water or food.