Wolf Kill Protestor Arrested and HSUS Files Notice to Sue-FINALLY

15 Oct

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Earlier today I received this email:

Coming to you again with even more shocking news. Today at 12:09 pm I was arrested for peacefully protesting the killing of wolves and other animals at the state capitol. I was cited with “obstruction” and “protesting with out a permit. This is what the advocates are up against. I am a frequent commenter on the blog Howling For Justice as but my alias is. I wish for an entry to be written about how anti-wolf people will shut down and intimidate advocates with arrest and fines. A challenge must be made.

This is apparently how the right wing in this country interprets the First Amendment. So we now need a “permit” to protest our own government in Walker’s Wisconsin. I wonder if the same rules would apply to Walker supporters or hunting groups? I doubt it. To the arrested protester: please take these citations to court and tell anyone who will listen.

In other news the Humane Society of the United States have FINALLY decided to challenge the delisting of wolves in the Great Lakes. I along with other devoted wildlife advocates pleaded with them to take action immediately after Rep. Scott Suder (R-ALEC) introduced his bear hounder written legislation and nothing happened. Now the very day that Wisconsin begins the wolf slaughter the HSUS finally sent notice to Cowboy Ken Salazar and his anti-wolf, Fish and Wildlife Service, that they intend to sue if the Great Lakes wolves are not placed back on the Endangered Species List in 60 days. It is about time. The states have proven that they cannot “manage” the gray wolf without turning it into a slaughter-fest. The arrogance of Suder, George Meyer and their bear hounder enablers are enough of a reason for the wolves to be returned to the list. While we would have been against any wolf killing, the mere fact that dogs, bait, electronic calls, night hunting, and traps were pushed by Suder and his allies shows that this state is incapable of “managing” this species. Little is also mentioned about the items that were struck from the wolf kill bill where Suder wanted to allow road shooting and unlimited private property wolf killing without a permit. Minnesota is not much better because they rammed through legislation just as Wisconsin did and also ignored the voice of wildlife advocates in favor or extremist hunting groups.

It is refreshing to see people finally waking up, but what took so long? The sadists must be called out and never allowed to influence wildlife decisions again. Please keep up the pressure and support the HSUS in their lawsuit and continue to support the lawsuit to stop wolf hounding.

Posted by on October 15, 2012 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

24 responses to “Wolf Kill Protestor Arrested and HSUS Files Notice to Sue-FINALLY

1. Suzanne Dunham

October 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thank you for all you do.

October 15, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thank you Suzanne, but I need to do more. I am going to do a major redesign of the website to help us better organize along with keeping up the blog. This has been a complete learning experience for us, but I like to think that we have have helped to spread the word about what has really been going on in this state and world with our wildlife. We will be working on getting non-profit status and trying to make a huge impact in educating people. We need to truly become the voice for those of us who care about wildlife. Some anti-wolf troll on the Wisconsin State Journal site tries to make it seem like we are doing this just to have the “donate now” button pressed and to make money. Honestly I couldn’t give a damn about money and I do this for one reason and one reason only: the animals. I along with other wildlife advocates are tired of backing down and not questioning what fish and game departments are really doing to our wildlife. The veil has been lifted and we are exposing who these agencies really work for. This is just the beginning, and with your support we can take this movement nationwide. Thanks again for supporting us.

• Maureen

October 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

You sure have helped spread the word about what’s going on not only in Wisconsin, but all over the U.S. regarding whom the fish-and-game boards really work for. When are you going to start a FB page?

October 15, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I was waiting until we get non-profit status, but I will get one up as soon as I finish redesigning this site. I really hope that we have awoken a sleeping giant.

• Maureen

October 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I think it’s a good idea not to wait until you get non-profit status. You need to start building an FB following now, since it takes a while to get one going.

2. Maureen

October 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm

It’s about freakin’ time!

3. Carla E. V. Porter

October 15, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank you for supporting wolves. As the for the lawsuit, I can only “guess” that the delay was due to finding appropriate funding.

4. Diane

October 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I am so glad the HSUS is committing to the Great Lakes Wolves cause & plight. Power to the wildlife advocates.

5. Sandra McGee

October 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Wow – finally. Geez, I was about to blow up (literally) I have been thinking about how we get attention to this. I was watching the movie “Gandhi” the other night & my 1st thought was a hunger strike. But then I thought … “no one knows who the hell I am, no one would give a shit.” Would it even get any news??
    I am willing to do just about anything @ this point – for the wolves – for the wild ones.
    I would like to be included in your protests & what ever else you all have going on in WI.
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW

• madravenspeak

October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I almost did a hunger strike through the bear slaughter this year. I think we go down to the capital at a certain time every day and announce we are hunger striking through the kill until they end it. It is possible to do it through the five week bear slaughter which kills so many baby bears – 2/3 of the nearly 5,000 bears slaughtered, also over dogs, shot out of trees and over bait piles legal since April. I am so sick of the beautiful peaceful bears being murdered, I would welcome a fellow hunger striker. We could support each other.
      The prevailing wildlife “models” mean that it is doubtful courts will care what happens to wolves unless they go to numbers below outdated minimum limits for surviving at all. Courts are also run by the good ole white boy patriarchy…old school. Not too hopeful.

October 16, 2012 at 12:06 am

Good news rali. The protester, does he need help with his fine? Or don’t you know who he is. As far as the accusation of wildlife groups in just for the money, is old hat. I wish the HSUS would not have waited so long . I started bugging them about sueing last year. I’m a member and will call them tomorrow. Now I’m doing some work for them. After some long thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that we are held hostage by the NRA and the gun groups through lobbies and money. This is very dangerous. We can all get a gun and fire back since it is our right. The Republicans scream about Obama taking their guns away-well if the left starts fireing back- Who will be the first to declare gun supression- the right wing of course. Hypocrits.

October 16, 2012 at 12:09 am

By the way, I’m sure you know that troll whines on the Idaho Statesman and the Missoulian. Hope he comes down with hoof and mouth disease.

8. terri minnick

October 16, 2012 at 5:42 am

Lets go all the way and BAN HOUNDING for all animals!!! It is inhumane for all species involved!

• madravenspeak

October 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I am so sick of bear hounding, baiting and slaughter that I am ready to take in two bear cubs, do the expensive fencing and start a bear education center here at my rural property. Anybody want to help? I will try to get a bobcat and orchestrate some of the fencing myself. I served on the captive bear and cougar committee a decade ago and we determined that bears need at least 1200 square foot open top 10-foot fencing with angled in 2-foot panels at the top and electric wire to secure them…water features for enrichment. All that was gutted after the committee closed down, and they reverted to grandfathering in 200 square foot cement floored 6 foot tall fenced across the top fencing for bears. Now 2 bears can be in 400 square foot. I would start by fencing an acre for cubs and a privacy fence of boards made from fallen trees in my woods – and the 10 foot open top. It is expensive dog fencing and further pricey because every foot or so there has to be rebar down into the ground to keep them from digging out.

It is not that I want to have captive bears – but I see no other way to save the 5,000 bears killed every year – but to generate education about the nature of the peaceful black bears and their playful, funny, intelligent natures. The North American Bear Education center is over 500 miles away. I have a National Historic Registry property that has a 2-story 1874 log house that could be the Two Bears House and I could rent it out as a bed and breakfast come have breakfast with the bears and learn who they are sort of thing. Get school kids coming through by the busload – and nothing would be as powerful as kids standing for bears, coyotes, wolves, bobcats and our wildlife!

Ideas and help welcome. I am thinking next spring and hoping to rescue a couple of cubs.

Patricia

9. gannonned

October 16, 2012 at 7:41 am

I agree about banning hounding. I know California had legislation put forth to ban hounding. I am also glad to see the suit coming forward, but it will be a battle. I wish the hunting community in states that have wolves were much more reasonable. We have all these problems in our state, and this is the kind of stuff our legislators pull. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUQ8KxUCHPM

• madravenspeak

October 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm

California did ban hounding bobcats and bears. But they only have 10,000 hunters in the entire state and they still had a battle from the Sportsmen’s Coalition, NRA, Farm Bureaus etc. This is why we must organize to replace killing license funding with general public funding – follow the money. What do they care when all of their money and staff come from killers?

10. gannonned

October 16, 2012 at 7:43 am

“It does seems strange, Terry.”

October 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

terry moulton with his archery shop & co-sponsorship of the wolf kill bill along with scott suder is also very guilty both by association & his own killing , self serving agenda.

• madravenspeak

October 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

And the liaison to the so-called Conservation Congress (killing lobby that is the sole advisory to the Natural (UNnatural) Resources Board) is Gunderson of Gundy’s Bait and Tackle Shop – a long time advocate of every cruelty to wildlife.

This is where we can make a difference. The Conservation Congress is made up of PUBLICLY elected delegates – it is just that the non-hunting public has not understood it for 80 years, by design. This is where some of the power resides – to generate policy. The wolf kill came out of it. 5 delegates represent each of the 72 counties – and two slots are up for grabs every year in every county. We need people to stand up for those two slots – I did it in Dane as the first ever elected and it is NOTHING to do to get the power – four meetings a year. So who will run? We need two candidates running in each county – a 3 year and 2 year position up for grabs. We just want one of us running for each slot so we do not split the vote. The year after I was elected we organized and had 23 people (mostly women) standing in 18 counties for election. The hunters were so rude that they were intimidated then – but now the hunters are more cowed and repressed and the vote is not hand vote – it is written ballots – so who will volunteer? you can start asking friends and neighbors to attend and support you now through April 8, 2013 when the next election comes up.

That is when they will go for additional cruelties to wolves and a bounty on coyotes, a sandhill crane hunt, a tundra swan kill, and a seagull kill.

Who will step up? We need to be an action group!

October 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

Go to bioactivist@biologicaldiversity.org and place your vote for the Rubber Dodo Award. I voted for John Tester who is the object of this entire wolf hunt in the first place.

• madravenspeak

October 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi Bobette – That is an email address. Do you have a web site for that vote? Tester is the reason the wolves were delisted – a Democrat trying to stay in power used the wolves as sacrifice to gain the vote. What crap.

12. Nick Dennis

October 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hard to believe !! We are all with you !!

• madravenspeak

October 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Please join our membership and invite like-minded friends. We need to get NUMBERS of the 2.5 million wildlife watchers in Wisconsin to support our efforts so we have some political weight with the legislators who sell out wildlife every time for the very organized voting bloc of Farm Bureau/NRA/Safari Club headhunters and Wisconsin Wildlife Federation of 180 killing clubs (Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, Trappers’ Association, Bear Hounders, Bear Hunters, Dog breeding associations, Whitetails Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, and rod and gun clubs across the state).

13. Amy

February 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm

How can we stop the killing? I was reading about the Palestinean hunger striker who has not eaten in 200 days. He finally called attention to the UN that Israel is not following international laws for prisoners. Maybe we need a hunger strike for the wolves? Can I do it? I dont know. I am going to chant (pray) about that. Every day I feel a deep sadness from the cruelty that is inflicted on animals right in front of our eyes. What hurts the most is that so manypeople enjoy being cruel or just accept it.