Disgusting Fluff Piece About Wolf Killer From Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

18 Oct

In a disgusting fluff piece written by pro-killing “outdoors” writer, Paul Smith, a wolf killing sadist is apparently being made out to be some king of “hero” for his kill. The killer, Dennis Nitz, is also a trapper who apparently gets off on killing animals for fun. Not content just waiting for a wolf to kill through shooting, this guy had to set traps, and use electronic calls to lure wolves out.

Dennis Nitz, though, was filled with excitement. He took the day off from his construction job to dedicate it to his first opportunity to wolf hunt and trap in his native state.

Nitz grew up in Boyd and learned to hunt and trap at an early age. He especially grew to like predator hunting and trapping, primarily for coyotes.

Then we have Smith relating the story of how Nitz killed the wolf as if he did something heroic:

Nitz used a recording to emit a distressed rabbit call. The first response came from a murder of crows. Then, just minutes later, the first wolf howled. Over the next hour, the wolves moved closer. There was little wind, Nitz said, and the animals circled.

Most of the wolves were to the northeast of the blind. But at about 6:15, a wolf howled very close, from the west. Nitz turned around and saw a wolf standing broadside at 47 yards. He leveled his .243 rifle and squeezed off a shot. The report echoed through the clearing and moments later he was putting his tag on one of the first wolves taken in Wisconsin’s newest hunting opportunity.

The animal was a male; it weighed 72 pounds.

So in other words this “hero” probably shot a young curious pup. What a man. Then of course we have the whining about supposed “death threats” that Nitz has been receiving:

Photos of Nitz with the dead wolf were placed on Facebook on Monday night. He said he started to receive death threats within minutes.

“It’s a pretty wild topic,” Nitz said, acknowledging the emotion and controversy surrounding wolf hunting.

The pelt is at a taxidermist. It will be made into a life-size mount.

“It might have been my only chance, I don’t know,” Nitz said. “For me, this was the ultimate hunting opportunity in Wisconsin. These are the top predators and their population is growing and needs to be controlled.”

Death threats, if they indeed happened, are not acceptable. Let this sadist’s own actions show what kind of a person that he really is. But he posts his sick pictures on the internet, and wonders why people get upset? Of course he had to use the same old propaganda about how the wolf population need to be “controlled.” It is shameful to write a fluff piece about this person and the pleasure he got from killing an animal just struggling to survive. Of course he also has to have the poor wolf stuffed to provide a morbid trophy that he can show to brag what a bad ass he is with his guns, electronic call, and traps. The modern “sportsman” in action. I guess it really isn’t about “putting food on the table” for people like this, is it? I really do hope that there is such a thing as Karma though. And for anyone needing any construction work who loves wildlife, please boycott any business this guy works for. Please read the article below and comment after the story. The comment section is already filled with the usual “they are eatin’ all the deer” garbage.

A howling success for Boyd man

Posted by on October 18, 2012 in Hunting, Trapping, Wisconsin Insanity, Wolves

20 responses to “Disgusting Fluff Piece About Wolf Killer From Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

October 19, 2012 at 2:04 am

His wife was with him?What a nurturer she must be. Hope they don’t have kids.

2. Rhiannon Gomez

October 19, 2012 at 3:50 am

Seems to me the top predator is man. This population is growing and needs to be controlled, too. Who do we see about that?

3. Terri Minnick

October 19, 2012 at 6:52 am

So he was one of these types that was taught early on about killing animals. And…has nothing better to do with his time off but kill coyotes…

4. frances mcgrady

October 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

how can anyone with a child help to commit such henious acts against another living thing makes you wonder what else they could do

October 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I have written this poem for WI Wildlife ethic. If anyone believes it is worthy of use please do so. I desire no recognition or accolade for the poem.

Can you hear the wild ones whisper?

I am Raccoon, I am happy; I found a patch of sweet corn
      After I was trapped in a “humane”, trap I became forlorn.
      Oh good, here comes someone toward me. I am sure I will soon be set free.
      I did not know being used as bait to train hounds was to be my destiny.
      The trap door is opened; I slowly amble out;
      The hounds are baying at me-I hear men as they shout.
      Nowhere to climb; can’t go fast enough to outrun.
      The dogs tear at my flesh-I am done.

I am Buck. I graze in a planted food plot.
      I ignore the tree stand at the edge of the wooded lot.
      I smell buck lure-there is a primal stirring in my loins-I am careless & run to a dangerous spot.
      Suddenly my skin & flesh are penetrated by an arrow from a misplaced shot.
      I jump & bolt; I limp; exhaustion & pain overtake my body.
      I rest-then continue-can’t let the pain stop me.
      I stagger to my feet, must find a spot where alone & safe I’ll be.
      The blackberry thicket is where I will stay
      I fall to my knees & drop; unable to stand or lay.
      Over the nest few days fever ravages my body
      Maggots infest my wound, gangrene slowly kills me.
      I am done

I am Bear Cub, life is good; I tumble & I play.
      My life is changed one sunny September day.
      I hear baying hounds in the distance.
      Mother tells me to hurry-don’t take a chance
      But I dawdle; the hounds close in-I climb a tree.
      I’ll be safe here.
      I am much too young to know fear.
      The baying hounds circle the tree; I try not to slip.
      Men with guns shoot me in the paws; I lose my grip
      The dogs tear, the men cheer-they are having fun.
      I am bleeding & dying. I am done

I am Doe; I sense danger; I gather my fawn.
      I hear cracks & bangs at the day’s dawn
      Fawn & I run fast; unsure of the best direction to go
      I feel a searing pain in my chest & see my blood in the snow.
      I try to flee; I am weak; I tell fawn to run.
      I see a man with a knife. I am done.

I am Wolf. I am hungry. I must eat.
      Something doesn’t seem right, but I must eat.
      I walk carefully through the fall leaves.
      I feel a crushing pain on my foot & hear a snap.
      The pain is unbearable-I chew & tear at the trap.
      Hours pass; I whine, yelp & pace.
      A grinning trapper comes; stares me in the face.
      I am defeated & afraid. I see a club & a gun.
      He takes a photo of me, then Lord, God! I am done.

I am man. I feel a crushing pain & tightness in my chest.
      The pain is getting worse. Short of breath-must rest.
      Images of slain animals dance in my head.
      I smile as I recall all I have killed dead.
      There is a bright light, but Wolf stands at the pearly gate.
      I expected loved ones & family-guess they’re running late.
      Now i am toppling, tumbling & confused.
      Ahead is another light-Now I ‘m headed in the right direction; I mused.
      I can feel the warmth becoming more intense.
      I see flaming blalze orange; something is wrong I sense—
      I am done.

October 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Whoops. It should read:
        I am Wolf. I am hungry. I smell meat.
        Something doesn’t seem right, but I must eat.

October 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thank you Diane. This expresses exactly what needs to be expressed. I really despise much of our species 😦

• Maureen

October 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I have tears in my eyes after reading that. I find it interesting that you capitalized the first letters in the names of all the non-human animals, but you wrote the word “man” all in lower case. I don’t doubt that that was intentional.

5. Diane

October 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thank You Rali & Maureen, Yes the cap & lower case in the names was intentional; I guess another way of saying we are really all mammals together & maybe man is not deserving of top billing.

October 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Excellent Diane- The Bible states that man and animals are equals. Animals are to be treated as souls and there is no proof that animals do not ascend to Heaven. I wrote a poem and had it printed. I’ll post it later.

7. gannonned

October 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Well, it seems we have an audience of poets here. I wrote a poem about wolves too; so here it is:

It is the sin we all commit,
    To make things in our image.
    But how can I empathize
    With you that have been shot,
    Burned, poisoned, demonized,
    Hunted, trapped, and hung for hides,
    Born into this Manifest demise.

It is not human inclination
    To leave things untouched;
    But between us, I know,
    There can be no suture.
    For you are another nation,
    Perfect in nature.

And maybe redemption will come
    When it is enough
    To love without sight
    To love without touch
    To succumb to the knowledge –
    That freedom does not bend
    For the hubris of men.

• Maureen

October 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm

More tears. 😦

• Miigiwe Zaagi

October 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm

love this poem, but people or brute animals like nitt cannot comprehend the message so it is lost on him, he definitely needs prayers.

• Miigiwe Zaagi

October 24, 2012 at 4:14 pm

thanks for the words re: our wolves. mi’igwetch

8. gannonned

October 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I forgot to list the title, which is, “They say not to anthropomorphize…” I took it from a line in Rick Bass’ Ninemile Wolves.

9. gannonned

October 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for your expression of feeling Maureen.

October 20, 2012 at 1:07 am

Very good, maybe we should have a Wolf Poets’ Society.

11. laina

October 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Diane, Good poem.
    Why didn’t Mr. Nitz use an electronic call of a bellering cow?
    Wouldn’t that have attracted every wolf in the county?
    Oh, and death threats – he did more than threaten the wolf with death.

12. Miigiwe Zaagi

October 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm

fb is good at least every one will know what i say and be able to respond accordingly. nitz is a nitt and cannot hunt with out all the electronic stuff he uses, and he calls himself a hunter?
    i have news for mr. nitt, why don’t you fashion your head into an arrow and use that you knucklehead?
    why are you using traps you son of a mothers bitch, didn’t you learn anything or didn’t they have schools where you are from? apparently not, you are and idiot. and need to go stand in the nearest corner, until you learn to play nice.