A Surprising (And Welcome) Apology

13 Jan

607px-Howlsnow

A couple of days ago a guy by the name of Steve made sever comments to this site that were both insulting and inflammatory. As per our policy we do not post comments that are insulting to wildlife advocates, or that advocate the killing of the wildlife we hold dear. Today, I received another post from Steve where he had this to say:

Just read your “outrage” article and you know what, your right. You do have the right to feel how you feel about wolves as well as how I feel about them. I guess thats what makes the world go around. It would be a pretty boring life if everyone agreed with everyone I guess. This was the 1st website that explained it the way you did without the bashing. Im as american as you, and the old saying,” I might not agree with what you say, but ill defend to the death your right to say it” is never more true that our views on wolves. I believe there is a place for wolves as do most outdoorsmen and outdoors women. But they, like most wildlife, need to be checked so there is a balance. Maybe not by hunting “which is the cheapest” but by whatever means possible. Imagine if it was illegal to hunt deer? They breed like rabbits and your cars would be in the shop every 3 months repairing damage and your gardens and flower beds would cease to exist. So I do apologize for my insults the last couple of days. Wolves are a neat animal to watch and I see them weekly in the fall when Im hunting. Lets have a balance so they dont turn into pests like deer are in some areas were they are over populated.

Needless to say I was very surprised and grateful for this comment. While I am repulsed by sport hunting and the entire culture that surrounds it, comments like the above leave me hope that there is indeed common ground to be had. While I strongly disagree that wolves are or will ever be overpopulated in any state that they occupy, I do appreciate the apology. Wolves bring out the strongest of emotions on both sides because like it or not they are so much like us and our dog companions. I love and will fight for all wildlife, but canines and bears have the most special of places in my heart. And whether or not most hunters want to admit it, I think that they too have grudging respect and even admiration for the wolf and their canine brethren.

Does this mean that wildlife advocates and hunters can walk hand in hand and and see eye to eye on every issue? Absolutely not, but it does leave me a glimmer of hope that there same be some common ground no matter how slight that may be. Maybe eliminating hounding? We will see.

Posted by on January 13, 2013 in Uncategorized

11 responses to “A Surprising (And Welcome) Apology

1. gannonned

January 13, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Good to see some people can disagree with decency. Thanks.

2. laina

January 13, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thank you Steve. You have set yourself apart with your thoughtfulness. Perhaps the balance you so rightly speak of could be achieved by allowing natural predators (wolves) to help control the deer herd. (?)

3. theanimalspirits

January 13, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Perhaps Steve is in process of influenced change of heart/spirit. Your posts are educational, inspirational, influencial and interesting to read. Hang in there. Oh and if you talk with Steve again, will you remind him that the wolves are nature’s answer to deer over-population and that the wolves don’t need human’s to deal with wolf over-population, because wolves will know when their packs are too large for a particular territory and will “thin-out” by sending lone males into other areas of wilderness. This keeps pack numbers reasonable. Man’kind’ doesn’t need to hunt wolves, they just like to shoot and kill stuff. Respectfully, Gerean Pflug for The Animal Spirits.

January 13, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Maybe he will ponder this further and not support hunting wolves at all. Good start Steve.

5. Melissa

January 14, 2013 at 12:10 am

I find this refreshing. Spent the AM and afternoon at a predator friendly farm. And then this. What a breath of fresh air. It’s certainly easier to work with nature instead of against it.

• Alice C. Miller

January 14, 2013 at 1:25 am

It is a start for Steve..he is waking up and smelling nature…GOOD. We need to get more people to see and understand. Thanks for this website!!!

6. ramses (@traeh79)

January 14, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I don’t agree with some of what Steve had to say, but, Thanks for the apology Steve. @ least he is willing to be somewhat open minded. Thanks again!

7. Florence Eaise

January 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm

This is a great example of how you can reach so many more peole when you DONT insult degrade yell at or demean someone for what thier opinions are and you simply and politely explain your side of the issue its a great lesson for us all Lord knows ive allowed my anger to get the best of me at times and it NEVER serves to further any causes or to change any minds people just dont respond to anger but they do respond to facts so say it with a smile : ) also i must add thati think Steve was incredibly mature and brave to say he was sorry im flabbergasted I also appreciate his side as well now that i readit explained so calmly what a difference kindness can make!

8. laina

January 15, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thank you for the beautiful photo. Nature’s/God’s design, however you want to think about it, is flawless.

9. madravenspeak

January 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I hope that Steve will realize that the DNR is farming for high deer herds. This year and last, the DNR announced that what they heard from hunters is that they want “more deer” – so they announced each year that they would work to expand the deer herd by another 175,000 deer. This is simple. Hunted deer produce 38% more babies. Trophy killed bucks as a focus of trophy deer hunting leaves lots of does to produce more deer as “next year’s crop”. As the Conservation Congress literature of the 1930-40’s clearly states, “We knew that if we killed does, we would not have a deer herd – so all of the emphasis is on killing bucks”…great for trophy killing replacing survival killing and for producing the next generation of cannon fodder.

The ruse that wolves are in any way a threat to the deer that hunters prefer to kill themselves, in just as cruel ways, is just that – a ruse. Cars kill two to three times as many deer as wolves – simply because the deer herd is kept artificially high as the DNR biggest cash crop.

The wolf predation on livestock is a similar ruse. Humans predate on 3.4 million cattle in Wisconsin – and a horribly suffering 55 billion farm animals are being raised on planet earth for slaughter for human consumption at the present time. This meat obsession is destroying our health, and the health of the planet and is 51% cause of global climate disaster. It is destroying our ancient aquifers and is much of the rationale for the destruction of wildlife across the world. Large mammals are going extinct worldwide.

So watch the documentary EARTHLINGS entirely on youtube if you are complicit in eating animals”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce4DJh-L7Ys and if dairy is your hang-up, watch Gary Yourofsky’s “best speech ever”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4 I suggest these because eating animals is a main rationale for wildlife destruction – particularly of large predators like wolves, bears, cougars, and coyotes.

It is time for us to save our planet and what we can of non-human life which we are destroying rapidly.

• Alice C. Miller

January 16, 2013 at 12:55 am

I could not agree more!!! As Gandhi said…you can judge a nation on how they treat their animals….it is so sad….factory farming..and and all the calculated ploys to kill of wildlife for human entertainment.