Wiley the coyote: A Wisconsin hunter’s story of love and transformation

17 Feb

DSC00516

This is Patricia’s latest column. After the horrifying news I shared yesterday, I hope this warms your heart and reminds you what we are fighting for.

“I cannot tell you how this coyote has turned me upside down.  Wiley is a member of our family.  I feel like I am fighting for the life of my relative!” ~ Rick Hanestad, Dunn County, Wisconsin

It is not often that a hunter calls me, asking for help.  In November, I found an urgent message on my answer machine.  I returned the call immediately.  Rick Hanestad, Nascar All American Series driver, life-long hunter/trapper and hound hunter, was calling me to help him save the life of a coyote.

Rick launched into his story.  His father and uncle farm over 1000 acres in western Dunn County.  In March, 2011, his uncle allowed a neighbor to hunt turkeys on his land.  The DNR promotes coyote killing 24/7 year-round, so that hunter killed a lactating female coyote.  Rick said, “Patricia, I don’t like that.  When I heard a female was shot in the spring, it made me sick to my stomach.”  He and his then 7 year-old daughter and 14 year-old son went looking for her pups.  Three days later they found five crying puppies, their eyes not yet open.  But he was “so scared of the DNR” that he just raked around the den to make sure it was the den of the coyote killed.  When he checked again, then the fifth day since the coyote had been shot, only one pup remained alive, dehydrated and weak.   Rick and his family spent the night dripping fluids down his throat.  They named him Wiley.

Asked what he thought would happen, Rick said, “I figured that at about 6 months he would be so vicious, I would either let him go, or shoot him.”  Did he ever show any aggression to their old male lab, their children, or their horses – to anyone?  “Never. He is such a sweet animal. I trust him absolutely with my 8 year-old daughter.  He is best friends with our dog.”

In November, 2012, a policeman was called out to neighboring land on a deer-stand dispute. Seeing the coyote outside in a pen, the policeman informed Rick’s wife that “the DNR will be out to pick up your coyote.”  (to kill him )

Rick dedicated himself, full-time, to save their family pet.  He called the local warden, the town supervisor, his legislators, and an outdoor radio host in Minnesota.  Hanestad wrote Representative Mursau’s aide,” In our state we have numerous coyotes, but without hunting dogs, who ever sees one?  I would love to take him to things like a biology class at schools or other situations where his extraordinary kindness around people could be shared.”

He continued, “I also found out about an individual that lives about an hour from our home in Ladysmith, WI.  This person (owns) a place that people take their hunting hounds to chase coyotes in an enclosed pen.  Talking with one person that uses the pen I was told that coyotes are chased and, on occasion, tore to pieces by hounds while people watch.  This guy does have a license legal by our state.  I can’t believe it! “   A neighbor’s son had seen a coyote killed by a pack of dogs in that enclosure, with people enjoying the “sport”.

Wisconsin coyotes have been taken legally from our state, for this legalized fenced torture, and required reports have not been made for 10 years.  There has been no DNR oversight.  Former DNR head of special investigations, Tom Solin, told me, a decade ago, that the DNR should not allow coyotes to be used in these enclosures because they cannot climb trees or hide from the dogs.  They get ripped apart on the ground.

Hanestad was looking for a way to get his coyote’s story to the public.  Someone at the DNR gave him my name.   He told me, “They might as well send 5 police officers, because they will not be taking our coyote, they will be taking me.”

All this required is a commonly DNR- issued captive wildlife license.  I made a few calls targeted to captive wildlife DNR personnel, asking if Hanestad has to promise to have this coyote ripped apart by dogs to get the appropriate license.  The next day, Rick called me, joyfully:  “The DNR will sell me Wiley for $24.00, and the cost of the state license, no fine, and I just have to build him a 144 square foot pen.  He would be standing in his own feces.  I am building him an acre.  He is ours!”

Rick says Wiley is the star of his hunting community.  People come to sit in the living room and hear him sing a thousand different songs. “Patricia, the different vocalizations amaze me on a nightly basis.  I’ve heard coyotes numerous times in the wild, but no one can possibly appreciate how beautiful they sound.  My family gets to hear different songs every night.”

Hanestad describes himself as having a deep lineage in hunting. His uncle taught him hunting and trapping from the age of five.  All his teen years he trapped, on average, setting 100 traps on a trap-line.  His average take was “130 coons, 40-50 red foxes, and 15-20 coyotes per season”.  He told me, “I always heard ‘the only good coyote is a dead coyote’.  The coyotes would be snarling in a foothold trap, and I would beat them to death with a stick.  I have killed hundreds of them.  I never thought about it.  I thought of it just like getting rid of weeds.”

And now?  “It makes me sick to my stomach when I think of what I did in the past.”

Does he think other coyotes are just like Wiley?  “Absolutely – they don’t do a thing to harm anybody.”  Why does he think they are so hated?  “Ignorance – it is just ignorance.”  Does it make him rethink all of his assumptions about animals?

“Absolutely.”

Hanestad emailed me, “When the warden and the state wildlife biologist came to visit him, Wiley fell to his back and the biologist scratched his belly.  The biologist stated ‘oh my god; he’s just like a dog’.  That to me was worth its weight in gold because on the spot I changed his opinion of coyotes.”

I asked him how many hard core hunters he thought would be changed by meeting Wiley.  Hanestad replied “20% the first ten minutes – and 100% if they had experienced a week of what I have.  How could they not be changed?”  But he cautioned, “Some people choose to remain ignorant.”

Wiley Coyote, Trickster, power animal, has come to Wisconsin. Wisconsin citizens can no longer tolerate a legislature and DNR who choose ignorance.

The Natural Resources Board meets Feb. 26 in Madison to take comments on permanent rules to use packs of dogs to hunt wolves.  The deadline to register to comment is February 19 at Laurie.Ross@Wisconsin.gov.  Written comments can be made through February 22.

Patricia Randolph of Portage is a longtime activist for wildlife. madravenspeak@gmail.com or www.wiwildlifeethic.org
Here are more photographs of Wiley and his adopted family:

DSC00479DSC00519DSC00515DSC00522DSC00533DSC00538DSC00536Wiley 1-19-2013

Posted by on February 17, 2013 in Uncategorized

223 responses to “Wiley the coyote: A Wisconsin hunter’s story of love and transformation

1. Dywane Brown

February 17, 2013 at 3:52 am

Love is all a hunter needs and he will turn away from his past. This man should be the definition for Heart of Gold.

• Anita

February 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Amazing,.. and Thank you on behalf of all animal lovers,.. thank you for saving and providing a wonderful place and home for Wiley,.. I hope that your message is shared far and wide,.. These and all animals deserve to live,.. I understand, most people will say,.. well ppl have to eat,.. but there is no need to cause such suffering,.. as these animals suffer in leg hold traps, etc,.. Be kind,.. have a heart,.. respect nature,..

• Sylvia

February 21, 2013 at 3:21 am

You right my dear….We can eat vegetables ,fruits,are plenty…God was make everything…No one will die without no meat…God bless you

• Shaun Gilford

November 4, 2013 at 9:35 am

Thank you for the very kind words Anita and writing such an appropriate sentiment felt by all of us (all animal lovers)..God Bless You!

• jo ann crochet

November 4, 2013 at 4:58 pm

so true Anita n is such a moving story of Wiley as is almost unbeleivable but flat out how much cing the pics r showing he loves his family n should b allowed to stay with his family. I am from Tx.n this is one he;; of a wake up call

• Glenda Myers

December 14, 2013 at 1:29 am

Well said, Anita.. I agree with you 100%… Wouldn’t it be awesome if every living thing respected and valued LIFE?? Perhaps someday.. ❤

• Joan Sessions

December 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Yeah is all I can say!!!

• hasaj

December 11, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Love this story<3

2. Rhiannon Taylor Gomez

February 17, 2013 at 4:20 am

Excuse me while I get my box of tissues! Thanks, Patricia, for this wonderful and beautiful story. It said what you, me, and thousands of other animal supporters have been saying all along; ignorance is giving the animals a bad reputation, not the animals! I’m so happy Mr. Hanestad opened his heart and home to Wiley. A million thanks for sharing this story! 🙂

• WiZaRd Of The Wolf Nation

February 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Save a few extra tissues for me…
      I’m already gettin’ teary-eyed.(((sniff-sniff)))

• Ibrahim Sharif

December 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm

now we just have to t the same thing for snakes

3. Sandra McGee

February 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm

What a great story, I love it when hunters have a change of heart, because they become enlightened. W00T!!

• Edward

February 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

You are so right Sandra. I been a hunter for many years. And the last 4 yrs I all of a sudden changed. All animals are given life just like humans. Thry all think and feel love and pain jusy like humans. I for one can not point my gun sights on another animal unless in danger from on like a bear or something of that nature. I can not bring my self to shot any animals again. I now even feed deer. But what gets me is why in the world would they have charge him to buy wiley Who is the goverment to think they own wildlife no one owns animals in the wild. They belong to everone. Seems just like another ploy to get money for there gredy pockets. And if they were going to take him there were going to kill him Why!. There doing what they would fine us people for. There going against there own laws. I live in NY and the DEC here are nothing but a bunch of jerks. Enough said. Glad that wiley has a good home

• della lindquist

February 18, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Edward, thank you for your honest comments. the animals do feel love, joy and pain.

• sheila condrin

February 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

I applaud you Edward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ozzietales

February 17, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thank you Patricia for this beautiful story, and wonderful outcome! I too have thrilled to the mournful, beautiful cries of coyotes while camping on a desert island on Baja California off the Pacific Ocean in Mexico

5. Maureen

February 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm

What a beautiful story. It gives me hope that change is possible for hunters and trappers.

6. Karen

February 17, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you Patricia Randolph and Rick Hanestad for sharing a story that diffuses rhetoric used by hunters, trappers & livestock owners to slander America’s beautiful song dogs… Beautiful story and photos.

7. nancy fowler

February 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Thank God,, they seen the light! As the saying goes, “Ignorance is bliss.” Imagine beating something to death thats helplessly stuck and hurting in a trap?

8. nancy fowler

February 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Wisconson, will not be on my or famliy’s vacation list this year, at least till they get more educated on ,humane treatment of animals.

9. nancy fowler

February 17, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Patrica, Wiley should be taken around to functions and schools to educate future hunters about the kindness to animals. They are killed needlesly. Hope Rick’s uncle never let that man hunt on his property again. And I would ,take Wiley to visit him. Rick should be a spokesman for those who cannot speak for themselves. Especially with such a great story.

10. nancy fowler

February 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm

God bless all those caring people.

11. M

February 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Respect animals and they will show us respect. That is control.

12. Sophie Lockhart

February 17, 2013 at 6:05 pm

It is nice to see that all humans aren’t murdering scum bags.People can change and we need to make sure the ones who shoot animals stop now.Ty for the beautiful sorry.

13. rosemary ballenger

February 17, 2013 at 6:19 pm

i am 60 years old now; but when i was 13 or 14, i was given a coyote pup from a hunter. i raised the coyote to adulthood. loved it very much.

14. Billie

February 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm

This beautiful story. I have feeling same way what coyotes and wolves are part of life. Just leave them alone. If attack that different and if not attack. One time coyote after my chicken and it was not afraid of me and my dogs plus we were not afraid of him/her. I understand they are very hungry and has to stop kill them so many for no reason.

15. WiZaRd Of The Wolf Nation

February 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm

This is very enlightening when hunters change their ways
    and realize that what they have done in the past,
    is not only wrong, but also outdated and obsolete,
    as well as against Great Spirit’s purpose….

Case in point of the gentlemen in this article,
    who repented to our Creator and now is on our side,
    working to rescue and save Great Spirit’s majestic wonders.

If man repents and changes its ways by protecting
    and nurturing ALL of our Creator’s majestic and natural
    wonders and remains committed to His great purpose,
    then he/she just may have a place in Heaven when their earthly work is done.

And those whom would not repent, and thus falling in line
    with the status quo of death and detruction to Nature’s wonders,
    spewing their lies and blasphemy with their forked tongues
    to appease the Devil, will NEVER receive the blessings of Salvation and
    martyrdom of Eternal Life in the Promised Land of Rainbow Ridge.

Instead, the cruel, the selfish, arrogant, greedy and sadistic,
    shall pay the ultimate price when the Great Spirit casts them into the fiery
    Abyss of Eternal Death, for they shall suffer many great pains
    they have inflicted upon our brethren.

• Heidi O'Farrell

February 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I would like to see hearts changed as well; but those who kill with joyful abandon deserve to endure what they inflict. Live and let live, and walk harmoniously with all beings, harming only those who would harm us…taking only what one needs – why would that be anything other than obvious? I hope the law is changed, to prevent needless suffering at the very least.

• Carole

November 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Verry well written and absolutely accurate, Wizard!! The ultimate price awaits!

16. Laurie Pruett

February 17, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I have only seen a few in my area of California. I cannot figure out why anyone would call them a vicious animal. One casually trotting through an orchard, one resting in the weeds near the highway, a couple in a field playing.
    What really strikes me as odd, that some people read a story, hear something an immediately brand an animal as not worth it’s life or automatically branded as a vicious animal. Wiley proves otherwise and I’m sure that this is not an isolated incident but perhaps the true nature of this interesting species.

17. April Chantrenne

February 17, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story. Coyotes and Wolves are the ancestors of the domestic dog. Why wouldn’t they behave just like dogs. All of God’s creatures should be revered. My hubby hunts deer and rabbit. He eats rabbit, I don’t. He hunts deer, selectively, so some seasons he doesn’t take one. He and his brother process it themselves and we eat it, so it isn’t just trophy hunting. I’d rather have deer than cow.

• vidapreciosa

February 18, 2013 at 4:57 am

Rather be vegan than eat any “flesh” at all. I am 76 and vegan. I don’t wish to be part of the cruelty animals suffer in any of your slaughterhouses. I have seen the Peta videos and its
      horrendous!!! To save money they use nail guns and shoot the animals on top of head but unfortunately 9 times out of ten the animals are only stunned and they skin and cut them while they are alive. Do you like to be part of that???!!! We have digestive systems as any herbivorous animal and should not at all consume animal flesh. Our intestines are many meters long ( I forgot how many meters) and flesh takes weeks to digest and rots inside of us reason why humans stink badly. Any carnivorous animal has very short intestines.
      I don’t intend to preach as your karma is your business not mine but I just thought of letting you know of the repulsive way humans treat animals.
      Here a quote told by Einstein and Gandhi: “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
      can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that the more helpless a creature the more
      entitled it is to protection from the cruelty of human kind.”
      Soon, very soon all this nightmare shall end and a new positive paradigm established by the
      moral, decent, honourable part of humanity. So get ready people to give up your lust for things
      not supposed to be done, one of them eating flesh… We the majority of global people want
      PEACE, LOVE, JOY, ABUNDANCE AND RESPECT FOR ALL LIVING BEINGS AND WE ARE
      AT THE THRESHOLD TO ACHIEVE THAT!!! SO IT IS!!!

• Amy

December 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Me too Vidapreciosa. I love being a vegan. While I delight in seeing a hunter make the connection regarding the life of this coyote, I wish that everyone would make the bigger connection… dog, pig, cat, fish, chicken, coyote, deer, turkey… all wish to live. There is no NEED to eat animals.

• penny frances

December 13, 2013 at 8:10 am

God bless you , and I agree with what you say , however I didn’t know the details about digesting meat , I often feel I can easily be a vegan and I guess it doesn’t take much to change when you feel repulsed by the thought of eating beautiful animals ,
        I wish the world a happy Christmas and Peace , love , joy and all the things you quote

• JP

February 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm

April, dogs are domestic animals, created by breeding many years ago. Although dogs are a descendant of wolves, they are definitely not the same. Wolves and coyotes are genetically wild animals. Those who keep wild animals (wolves, coyotes, leopards, tigers, etc, etc) as pets often become the victim of disaster. Dogs bred with wolves (wolf dogs) are often put down because that wild genetic factor surfaces in the form of uncontrolled and dangerous aggression, This is why there are wolf dog sanctuaries in the U.S. where these animals can be kept alive & comfortable but are not suitable for adoption. Even when treated well and cared for, wild animals will feel a sense of stress as it is not their natural environment to be living with humans.

The only case of a wolf killing anyone in the state of Minnesota occurred when a family kept a wolf puppy as a pet which killed a child in the household after it grew up. The same tragedy also occurred in Michigan, during the early 1980’s.

• Louise Kane

October 26, 2013 at 11:53 pm

To JP there have been only 2 deaths in Canada and the US In the last 100 years by wolves and one is disputed and none were in Michigan or MN.

• Jenn Den

December 12, 2013 at 10:38 pm

And how many cases have there been of domestic dogs killing humans?!…

18. Linda A. LaCroix

February 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

love it ! i have too encountered two mother coyotes that have brought us her kits.. i have never seen such well behaved pups.. they are so respectful of my own pets; dog, cats … they should NOT be allowed to have an ‘open hunting season’ on them ! they so get a bad rap, so heart-wrenching unfair ~

• Doug

February 18, 2013 at 6:16 am

Linda, My wife and I can’t understand how a person could kill any animal. Our dog looks like a Coyote, his name is Dakota.

19. Gwen Stagers

February 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm

If we don’t stop the killing and save the animals or children and our future generations will never know the wonders we have known. Animals in the wild hunt and kill to live. To take these beautiful animals and fence them in and let domesticated dogs tear them limb from limb in NOT acceptable. What makes us any different than a wild animal? We are doing it for sport, they are killing to survive. I worry about our future generations.

20. BraveWolf

February 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Yes, love is the answer. If enough haters and killers start to see each coyote, each wolf, each prairie dog, each bear and elk and all as individuals with feelings, minds and personalities, with families and social connections of their own, then persecuting and killing will fade into the sunset where it belongs.

21. Helen

February 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

The DNR should give them the $24,000 to keep him! that is just disgusting. As long as the coyote isn’t hurting anyone, what the deal then? Just leave them people alone!

• Carole

November 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Not 24,000! $24.00… but I agree, leave them alone!

22. Starr Smith

February 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Hello my name is Starr. I am Native American and in 1869 Gen. Philip Sheridan said the Only Good Indian Is A Dead Indian. It doesn’t matter who this will repeat . It is as if people can’t get away from thinking they are better then any one and or any thing. It does not surprise that that statement has come out again. People you are not better than any one else you are not better then the animals you just know how to kill kill kill. I will tell you you do not have a heart.

• vidapreciosa

February 18, 2013 at 5:13 am

HELLO MY UNIVERSAL BELOVED FRIEND SINCE I WAS A CHILD HAVE LOVED RED INDIANS, WOLVES, BISON, GRIZZLIES, ETC. I READ SO MANY BOOKS ABOUT YOU PEOPLE AND I SO
      ADMIRE YOUR INTEGRITY, CHARACTER, MORALITY AND SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE. WE THE CAUCASIANS ARE SO BACKWARDS SPIRITUALLY AND THINK WE KNOW IT ALL AND WE KNOW NOTHING OR ALMOST!!! APPARENTLY ALL THIS “BS” WAS AGREED BY US TO EXPERIMENT FOR THE SAKE OF SPIRITUAL EVOLUTION. YAH! I AM STILL DIGESTING THAT SLOWLY…
      BE VERY HAPPY THAT SUCH DISGUSTING STATE OF AFFAIRS IS ALMOST OVER AND AT LAST WE SHALL HAVE PEACE, HARMONY, JOY AND ABUNDANCE FOR US ALL.
      BLESSED YOU ALL MY FRIENDS BE. NAMASTE

• Geri

December 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Star, I am not Native American but I have always believed that all living things are related and connected to each other and deserve respect. Hunting for food is completely different than hunting just to kill an animal for sport. I find it quite delightful that Native Americans have known all along that all living beings are “cousins.” Yet it took Science to discover and prove that animals and humans share some of the same DNA instead of people believing what the Indians have always known and respected. All life should be honored and treated with dignity. We are supposed to CARE for Mother Earth instead of destroying her with pollution and murdering animals for no reason. I love this Lakota quote about the Creator’s creatures; “Mitakuye Oyasin.” (We are all related.) Bless you Star and your words. I wish more non Indians would learn from the Native Americans how to love and care for the Earth. Peace. G

23. Chona

February 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

It only takes one to stand up to the wrong, GOD Bless the Hanestad family in taking Wiley. All GODs creatures deserves the life to live in the wild. Who are we to make the rules. Please keep up the great work and sharing this story.

24. Fedor

February 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Beautiful story, beautiful animal. The family is lucky to keep him, I wish I could be that fortunate.

25. Brenda McKenna

February 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Breathtakingly beautiful. Many of us are on the mission to outlaw the hideous coyote “competition” events. It’s hideous. Many of the participants have been truly mean to us. This story calmed me down after many days of being very wound up and full of cortisol.

• rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Brenda

I wish I could have been their on your behalf. I know their language, thus feel I have a better understanding as to how to combat people as ignorant as I was prior to Wiley.

Thank-you for your efforts

• Brenda McKenna

February 19, 2013 at 3:27 am

Evening Mr. Hanestad~ What a lovely reply. Thank you so very much. Corrales, NM lost a gorgeous coyote about two days ago to a bullet. Our mission continues. Your generous heart is felt many, many miles away. Peace.

26. Maya

February 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Crying my eyes out. You are an angel. All beings are sacred and none deserve what we do to them…

27. Linda

February 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Teaching a child not to stomp on a caterpillar, is as beneficial to the child, as it is to the caterpillar. This is one of my favorite sayings. I don’t know who wrote it, but it is what I live by.

28. Sullie

February 17, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Reblogged this on My Blog and commented:
    Fairly new to the whole blogging thing.. but I found this story touching and worth the share. Enjoy the read ❤

29. Judith Kreiger

February 17, 2013 at 10:51 pm

This is a beautiful story. Have you, or do you think there will ever be a point in time where Wiley will need to be neutered? If so, will there be a problem finding a vet to perform what’s necessary, and also what about immunizations for this dear family pet?

• rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Judith

Wiley does act like any dog; however out of caution he was neutered 12/2012 by our local vet. He is very kind and is best friendws with our 15 yr old choc. lab. Wiley was born wild and I do have to respect that. He has had all immunizations that any other 2yr old canine would have.

30. Tessa

February 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I use to be owned by a hybrid Coyote …he was an amazing Friend 🙂

31. Mrs Cheryl Vann Fowler

February 17, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Absolutely Beautiful. Thank You Patricia.

32. R Hall

February 18, 2013 at 2:47 am

If only people could learn that the violence they project outwards is really in themselves. I have found people who can communicate without harm, with wild and so-called ‘dangerous’ animals. How? Why? Because they have eliminated every atom of violence within themselves. Fear and ignorance lie at the root of war with Nature. And do you know something? MOTHER NATURE will always win. Man, for all his foolish chest thumping, is puny against her great force and the rebound effects of the violence of man will be tremendous…

33. brien

February 18, 2013 at 3:31 am

Would love to hear a video of vocalisation.

• rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I will be posting some his songs in the near future; I appologize for not doing it prior to the release of this article.

34. sierradragoncaller

February 18, 2013 at 5:35 am

reblogged on care2.com ty

35. Mike

February 18, 2013 at 7:43 am

Ignorance is overcome by exposure to what we are ignorant of. Whether it’s coyotes, gays, other races, you name it.

36. House of the Black Wolf

February 18, 2013 at 8:09 am

This is such a wonderful story. Wiley is so beautiful!

37. Alice C. Miller

February 18, 2013 at 8:14 am

That is a beautiful story…

38. Vadim

February 18, 2013 at 8:18 am

I think they overfed Wiley. He looks overweight 🙂

• rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Wiley does eat a bit too much; since he has been neutered he is packing on the pounds!:) at almost 2yrs old he pushing the 50lb mark which is large for a coyote in our area.

39. Jill Christen

February 18, 2013 at 9:56 am

penning up coyotes and allowing packs of dogs to tear them apart and watch is so horrible that is worse then dog fights and that should result in prison time and large fines. That is the problem with a lot of hunters/trappers today they don’t fight fair. I feel sick. I thought the DNR was human, trying to keep things on the up and up. I could not even pit bat doors on my eaves till the mating season was over(or whatever), why not with other animals too.

40. mic hielvanhoorik@mac.com

February 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

this must be change than…

41. Sarah

February 18, 2013 at 10:35 am

I am glad this hunter changed his mind and heart and hope he will stop hunting ALL animals, by applying what he’s learned to every creature- great or small. I don’t believe a coyote should make its home in a family home though…They need a pack- They need proper care. They are not domesticated. Ceasar Milan did an episode on wolves and hybreds, and owners after a while, just couldn’t handle them- They are wonderful, but belong in the wild or in a large zoo (not a side road zoo- like these people can create for him).

• Gail

February 19, 2013 at 8:14 am

Sarah, I strongly share your belief that in general wild animals should be left in the wild, not in a human environment. However, since Wiley was not just rehabilitated, but actually raised by a human from his infancy, he would be considered “un-releasable” due to his strong bonding with humans: imprinting. If he were to be released, he’d be a true “sitting duck” as he has lost his instinctive fear of humans. I think in this case – as much as one can tell a story from photos – Wiley seems to be a pretty happy guy with his understanding, kind and knowledgeable human family. Clearly he accepts Rick as his “pack leader” and enjoying life.
      I see a book in the future and hope it has the word “Hunter” in it! This could possibly be the catalyst for BIG changes that will benefit all wildlife.

42. Susan

February 18, 2013 at 10:38 am

I see a major motion picture in the works!

43. sjoakim

February 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

I see a major motion movie in the works!

44. Rhonda Lanier

February 18, 2013 at 11:39 am

Thank you Patricia for this incredible story of love and understanding! Happily, this proves that there is hope for people who practice the cruel medieval practice known as trapping. Wiley is truly blessed and I am sure he knows it! A true ambassador for his species. What more proof does anyone need that these beautiful creatures should be left alone to live their lives in peace and harmony with nature, rather than be treated like vermin.

45. Tim

February 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm

He needs a GREEN BAY PACKERS blanket!!!

46. marian

February 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm

this is such a heart warming story ,wishing Wiley a long an happy life with his family….

47. rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I personally can not thank patricia enough. She was very much a part of me getting the opportunity to keep Wiley. When I contacted Patricia I was faced with my familys friend being taken from us and being put to sleep for no reason other than that he was born wild. I truley believe in the law and that that the wild needs to stay wild and people can not go out collect baby animals to be kept as pets, but when the animal is in a situation that it wouldnt survive without human interaction that where my opion changes. Thank-you patricia

• BraveWolf

February 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hey, Rick, so happy for the coyotes and other wildlife that you finally came around… But only after inflicting so much horrible suffering and death. Now, please invest your time and effort in atoning for your terrible sins by actively advocating for persecuted wolves and coyotes in Wisconsin and in every state where ignorant morons, both the actual killers and federal and state wildlife killing agencies are continuiing with these crimes. Your mission is only just beginning. Do it!

• Joy Schuetz

February 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Rick, thank you for sharing Wiley’s story with us all. I have loved Coyotes’ all wildlife since childhood. I commend you for your open heart and honesty. I grew up in a family of hunters and it always grieved me to see the lack of compassion for the animals killed. Family did not sport hunt but just for food. Even so there was an attitude that animals don’t feel, that they are nothing and were put here for us to use. Ok, I get the “for us to use” part but it has grown through the ages into “for us to abuse” attitude. Wiley is gorgeous, I am so glad that you were able to rescue him in spite of rules…you have met all the requirements as you would for a pet dog. Glad he is neutered and has all his vacinations. I know that you also are aware that he is a wild animal at heart. I hope that he will live out his days with your family. Being neutered gives him that chance. You are his pack, he sings for you. I hope you sing back to him. Thank you so much for your “change of heart and also mind set”. Proves it can be done if one is open to learning. I so much would like the war against wildlife to end. We as humans have invaded, conquered and irradicated so many wild families. The reintroduced wolves are now being killed off again, open season on coyotes. They are the sanitizers of the wild. It breaks my heart that man cannot see or feel what they do. You have, I know you will use this knowledge to help others see more clearly that animals do indeed FEEL, BOND, RELATE and COMMUNICATE just as we do with our families. My hat is off to you, Patricia and all that are working to change laws and protect what we still have. God Bless you, your family and sweet Wiley.

• rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Joy

You would bust down laughing, watching Wiley and my family every evening. Usually around 8pm he starts of course my hole family joins him; especially my daughter. Thank-you for your response and understanding, and yes wiley will always have a home with me. He is wild at heart, and even though has never shown aggression I do not allow him around my daughter unless i am very close by. I may be going crazy but that coyote “I swear, thinks of my daughter as a sibling or somthing close”.

• Cheryl

February 18, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Thank you Rick, your the gift of Life you have given Wiley, I’m. Wildlife rehabilitator and coyotes is one of the species we have taken in, your words to others about Wildlife belonging in the wild is what I preach,,,,but there are exceptions, we have a red fox here ,now our foster mom, you can read her story and about our coyotes too at http://www.moosemountain.org Thank you for the refreshing story, I have always believed everything happens for a reason,,,,, who better than someone whose been on their other side to be their voice:))
      Blessings to you , Wiley and your family
      Cheryl Winkler

• alice miller

February 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Yes..thank you Patricia…

48. Gail

February 18, 2013 at 1:40 pm

This is truly a miracle, fairy-tale story. Rick’s “conversion” with Patricia’s help is what we all dream about. It is heartening. Rick, as you know those kill contests seem to have taken on a life of their own across the country. Besides penning, lack of state agency oversight and indifference, and long hunting seasons (for some states) I can think of no worse carnage perpetrated against wildlife than those contests.
    Rick, what are your personal thoughts – if you don’t mind sharing- on how others can be enlightened? I’m sad to say that there seems to be not just a desire to kill them, but intense hatred as well. What can the rest of us do to get this insanity to stop?

• rick hanestad

February 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm

All

Please remember that I grew up hunting and trapping; selling many furs to market so i see both sides of the fence which prior to Wiley I only seen the one side. I personally dont think some type of humane animal control can stop; without it many animals would suffer a much worse fate starving to death; however the photo of the redfox in a trap on the home page of this article is for sure not a one time deal; that I have seen many times. After Wiley I wouldnt think of setting a trap; I cant imagine my friend struggling for days to only get shot or hit over the head with a stick. As for hound hunting I think its horrible; prior to Wiley I gave that up just because I couldnt watch what others viewed as entertainment.

Right now I am struggling with my personal feelings over hunting; I have taught my 16 yr old son everything my grandfather and my uncle taught me; from setting snares to hunting big game in the western states. Honestly Wiley has changed my opinion, and I hope that I can use this situation to create at least some awareness to others like me. I really believe that if people knew what I now know that wild animals wouldnt be treated like they are today.

I told this to Patricia, but my Uncle has trapped more, hunted more than most people on the outdoor channel and 2-weeks ago his hounds were chasing a coyote. To make a long story short when the coyote came out to the road it stopped and looked eye to eye with him as he has his barrel of his rifle pointing at it. Im not saying my uncle will never hunt again, but because of Wiley he put down the gun and watched it run off. The next day he got rid of his hounds. This was only a few weeks ago. He told me the coyote looked just like Wiley and he just couldnt shoot it.

• Robert Goldman

February 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for sharing more details like this, Rick. Please keep helping others to see the light. Each non-human animal is an individual just like us. They want to live. The highly social species have families and unique personalities and the circle of compassion must extend to them too. And that means treating them with the same kindness and respect you would want them to extend to you, if you changed positions with them. We could create an amazingly wonderful world right here on Earth, if the cruelty and the traps and guns and poisons were put away forever. Rick, please help our side in every way you can. Please help grow my Protect America’s Wolves! petition at…

• Cathy Taibbi

February 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Rick, you made my day, first with your compassionate rescue of Wiley, then again, in a big way, with this tale of your Uncle’s transformation. Very moving. I feel hope for the first time in quite a while.

This is how real change begins; this is how we truly evolve as a People. Thank you.

• madravenspeak

February 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Hey Rick,

I am wondering if you registered for the Natural Resources Board meeting Tuesday – and if not, you are still invited to attend. I have a few questions about something that is evidently standard equipment on a hounder’s truck. It involves barbed wire and a pole. I need as much information as I can to speak effectively Tuesday.

• Belle

December 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I highly recommend the short documentary called the witness, it’s very enlightening about what goes on in the fur trade.

49. Gail

February 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Forgot to mention what a blessing it would be if everyone’s mission in this life was so clearly defined as Ricks!

50. Montana Gal

February 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm

What a transformation, it is wonderful that this coyote has opened the door to just how precious the animals really are for you and spreading such to others too. Hope you give up hunting and trapping.

February 18, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Love the pictures of this fortunate family who will learn so much from this loveable guy. Nothing I like better than telling coyote hunters to burn in hell. I needed every coyote I could get my hands on since they disposed of my dead sheep. They were my friends and never bothered my sheep. They even came down to the barn for water.

• BraveWolf

February 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Bobette, what happened to your sheep?

52. della lindquist

February 18, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Rick, thank you for your honesty and willingness to see another side of the issue, and Many thanks to your uncle too. It is hard to give up things you believed for so long. I believe you can make a difference by talking to people and showing them that coyotes and other wildlife are not just weeds or horrible things that are to be immediately killed. Your story gave me so much hope. If you ever would consider speaking publicly to other groups outside of your state, please let me know, as you would be a very powerful advocate for humane treatment of wildlife. I’m at
    dellalindquist@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas.

53. lovelygirlie

February 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm

An amazing story! I am so glad you saved Wiley. Look at him all snuggled up on that couch! He is teaching us all something I think…

54. Trevor

February 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I am not sure who is more beautiful, Wiley or your fine family for raising him.
    Thank you for sharing this story.
    Respect & best regards,
    Trevor UK

55. Maureen

February 18, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Rick, thank you for your remarks in the comments section. Yours is truly a story of redemption. I’m very glad you’ve seen the light, and I hope you can help many more hunters and trappers to see the light. I would love to hear Wiley’s songs. 🙂

56. C.Fritz

February 18, 2013 at 8:15 pm

All these animals have a god given right to live, wolves, coyotes, buffalo and wild horses make our country a better place. The US tells other countries they should protect their wildlife and the we kill our own off to satisfy a few blood thirsty idiots.

57. Char Rosin

February 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. There are coyotes in the outskirts of our city and I have been very nervous about them. I feel differently since reading your story but I would be afraid of a wild coyote around a small child. What about you? Thanks again for sharing your story and pictures.

58. Vonda

February 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I use to hunt and help my dad trap. Like you I regret every moment. I now do not hunt And will never trap. I love my pup and yes they have families they love and will die for their young. Thank you for the share

59. Roxanne Sutton

February 19, 2013 at 4:58 am

Rick, These are the stories which give me strength..God Bless you!!

60. Malcolm

February 19, 2013 at 5:09 am

I have never met a coyote, I surmised from their faces that they would be intelligent and thus tamable if captured at a young age, as even foxes are. Many people in Australia have had similar experiences with Dingo’s and the same troubles with Parks and Wildlife people, who are tenacious in their pursuit of domesticated dingo’s. Well done that man, we are all victims of assumptions from youth, only those with real stamina examine and amend them.

61. Janet

February 19, 2013 at 7:34 am

Yes, if anyone knows coyotes, they can be excellent pets. Very loyal, family oriented, intelligent, loving, quite, and a bond like no other domestic dog. Have to be young enough so not to have wild tendencies to constantly wonder off or run off after first squirrel they see.

62. elie khoury

February 19, 2013 at 7:53 am

Thank you my friend for coming back to your humanity. bless you.

63. Dawn James

February 19, 2013 at 8:09 am

What an amazing story! This is proof that people can change.

64. SG

February 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

What a wonderful story! We have a pack that lives by us and sometimes I get woken up at night by their songs. It’s incredible to witness the beauty of their voices. I litterally sit on my front porch and feel their song ring through my soul. One night I knew something terrible had happened to a pack member – they sounded almost like they were humming and then a lone cry rang out over the rest of the pack. It was so mournful and yet so beautiful at the same time. I will NEVER forget that night! I don’t often tell anyone about hearing them – I am afraid my neighbors will try to have them killed.

65. mike

February 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

what a great story. All you need is love.

66. Carolyn Wood

February 19, 2013 at 9:33 am

Such beautiful pictures please keep posting them snd lets try yo savvr our wilf life

67. Heywood Williams

February 19, 2013 at 9:45 am

This is the first example I’ve ever seen in print where a position is taken on an issue and the “opposing side” doesn’t weigh in with their self-righteous justification. It has to be the light of truth illuminating your story that deflects opposition. I’ve spoken out for the coyote and wolf and jack-rabbit for decades here in Podunk, but people just cite farming and ranching costs. Thank you for this story. I will repost and repost it. heywood

68. Cathy Taibbi

February 19, 2013 at 10:24 am

I LOVE this story – THANK YOU, Patricia, for this best testament possible for our beleaguered wild canids. What is true for coyotes is also true for our wolves, and your story speaks to the heart. I can’t imagine anyone can read this and not be changed – SHARING and I encourage everyone who reads this to share it far and wide, especially with hunters and trappers.

69. Joann Butkus

February 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

LOVE THIS!!!!! LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY FOR HAVING THE STONES TO SHOW THAT REAL MEN (AND WOMEN) ARE COMPASSIONATE, LOVING BEINGS!

70. madravenspeak

February 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

http://www.wiwf.org/news/CoyoteSeason.pdf This is the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation coalition of 186 killing groups celebrating their “success” in getting coyote killing year-round night and day any way they want – preferably torture. Take a look around the www. wwf.org web site and click on membership – go to affiliates and look at how organized the hunters and trappers are.

Here you will see why you must attend the Wisconsin DNR/HUNTER supposedly PUBLIC election and Vote on April 8, 2013 at 7 p.m. in every county.

This story is only good if we all organize politically to influence our hunter controlled state legislature ( even the progressives sell out wildlife every time for getting re-elected by this very organized hunter/Farm Buearu/NRA lobbying force.)

So join Wildlife Ethic and then, if you live in Wisconsin, the upcoming election where coyote killing was voted in by a vote of 2051 yes to 1048 no ( the small minority of citizens who have attended annually the past EIGHTY YEARS are hunters and trappers ) – and this year you can vote only on whether the 24/7 year-round coyote kill is extended through the traditional 9-day part of the four and a half month kill of our deer – so that the 600,000 hunters driving through the woods can also kill every coyote ( and every anybody ) they see legally. They want to wipe them out.

We supposedly have 2.3 million wildlife watchers in Wisconsin who will have no wildlife left to watch if we do not start participating in the political process that makes these decisions. Organize with us for lobbying power by joining Wildlife Ethic. Then run as a candidate for the election coming up April 8, 2013 at 7 p.m. where all of these wolf killing, coyote killing, bear killing, bobcat killing, crane killing, mourning dove killing, running packs of dogs on all wildlife on ALL of our publicly purchased lands – this is where these policies are generated and voted on. We can only generate policy if we have delegates to represent us. Wildlife Ethic is looking for 2 candidates to run and CAMPAIGN NOW for the election April 8. Contact us – it is a very small time commitment for the power to help wildlife. We have a grandmother running in Waukesha, a professor emeritus running in Winnebago, a student running in Washington, an activist running in Dane. We need 2 candidates in all 72 counties to give hope to wildlife lovers and someone for them to vote for! Contact us! Step up for those who have no voice!

Thanks!

71. Nancy

February 19, 2013 at 11:53 am

Too many human beings cannot tolerate seeing or knowing that something “wild” exists. Rather than enjoying and protecting what is left of our of our wonderful wildlife, they possess a crazy desire to extinguish it. It goes beyond sick and sad. It is monsterous. Protect Wiley. In spite of the support of all of us, some idiot will still not “get it”.

72. Jan Fredericks

February 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

It sounds like a sad State to live in — but I hope that people especially in the government will allow God to transform their hearts and stop allowing dogs to tear apart animals in enclosed pens (or outside the pens). Sad that 4 pups died. It’s good that one survived and is living the good life as it should be. Thank you for your compassion and may God bless your efforts to fulfil God’s mission.

73. helen hackett

February 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm

its just like a gsd…hes been brought up as a family pet…hes no danger..in fact hes less dangerous than a’human being’….now they are dangerous….destroying the planet..killing everything to extinction…disrespectful to all living creatures…including their own kind….sick evil and greedy/selfish….. !!

74. Amber

February 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Thank you for sharing Ricks story about Wiley. Its absolutely amazing that someone with a huge backround of hunting/trapping could have such a hugge change of heart. I’m origionally from the same town Rick lives in and I remember our neighboors coimg home and proudly showing off their days “catch” of bears. I also remember as that small child not liking that they trapped the bears. My mom has always been very passionate of our wildlife and thankfully she passed the same appreciation onto me. I can still remember how upset she would be about the trapping of bears and coyotes. Its sad, now 30+ yrs has gone by and nothing has changed. friends the coyotes at this next meetig in Madison.

• Amber

February 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm

The end of my comment got messed up. What I was trying to end with is that I hope there’s some justice for the coyotes in the next meeting in Madison. I’m just appauled that it would be allowed to “train” dogs against helpless & defenseless animals in a pen just for hunting purposes. Disgusting and inhumane at best.

75. yvonne jager

February 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Thanks Patricia, thanks Rick and his family and love to Wiley! Deep Respect!

76. Paul Girardin

February 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing this story!

77. devashan

February 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm

What a beautiful story !!!! Brought tears to my eyes.

78. Rick Hanestad

February 20, 2013 at 8:02 am

Everyone I can’t thank all of you enough for the support you have shown. I do plan on getting back to some of the questions that have been asked of me directly, this week I am in Anaheim, CA on business. When I return I will for sure do my best to get back to everyone.

• laina

February 20, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Rick,

There may be a call for you to take Wiley around as an ambassador of good will. Since he is so content at your home it may not be in his best interest to do this no matter how worthy the cause. He is yours and does not know that he may be becoming a “movement.”

In regards to your finding your way with your views on hunting in general, that is your struggle and your journey and it’s not up to anyone else to tell you how to feel and/or how to redeem yourself.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

• vidapreciosa

February 21, 2013 at 5:45 am

PERHAPS THAT’S WHY RICK WAS LEFT TO LOOK AFTER WILEY TO BECOME A “MOVEMENT” FOR THE SAKE OF THOUSANDS OF COYOTES. WHO ARE WE TO SAY??? RICK MUST SIMPLY FOLLOW HIS “HEART” ( INTUITION, GUT FEELING) AND LET IT FLOW. THE UNIVERSE KNOWS WHAT TO DO VIA THESE BODIES IF WE JUST BE RECEPTIVE. IT IS THAT SIMPLE BUT WE COMPLICATE EVERYTHING BECAUSE WE THINK TOO MUCH… STOP THINKING AND ” LISTEN” TO THE VOICE OF THE UNIVERSAL INTELLIGENCE LIVING WITHIN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US!!! LET IT BE…LET IT GO… LET IT FLOW…UNTIL WE BECOME “ONE” WITH THE “SOURCE” WITHIN WE KNOW ALMOST NOTHING ALTHOUGH WE “THINK” WE KNOW SO MUCH BECAUSE OUR STUPID “EGO” MAKES US BELIEVE THAT FOR US TO FEEL VERY IMPORTANT!!!
        WE ARE NOW WITHIN THE 4D TOWARDS 5D SO LET GO OF 3D IDEAS AS THEY ARE NOW OBSOLETE THANK HEAVEN!!! EMBRACE EVOLUTION OF THE HUMAN SPECIES EARNED SO
        PAINFULLY FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. ANIMALS ARE SUFFERING FOR US AND THAT ALSO
        HAS TO END SOON. WE NEED NOW A WOLF PUPPY TO BE REARED BY HUMANS TO PROVE TO THE STUPID WORLD THAT THEY ALSO ARE LIKE DOGS AND NOT VICIOUS CREATURES AS THE HATEFUL IDIOTS PORTRAY THEM.
        “WE HUMANS ARE THE MOST VICIOUS, BLOOD THIRSTY BESTIAL HUMANOIDS ON EARTH! WE KILL AND TORTURE NOT ONLY FOR FOOD BUT FOR FUN AS WELL AND THE MURDERERS WATCH WITH GLEE THE ANIMAL SUFFERING FOR HOURS WITHOUT NO COMPASSION WHATSOEVER.”
        I HAVE LEARNT LAST YEAR THAT WE OFFERED OURSELVES TO BECOME HUMANS AND
        GO THROUGH ALL THESE HUMAN EXPERIENCES FOR THE SAKE OF SPIRITUAL EVOLUTION.
        I AM STILL DIGESTING THAT AS I CANNOT EVEN CONCEIVE MYSELF DOING THAT OF FREE
        WILL WHICH APPARENTLY HAPPENED. I WILL EVENTUALLY ABSORB IT AS MY INTUITION SAYS IT IS THE TRUTH! I SIMPLY ABHOR AND AM VERY SENSITIVE TO PHYSICAL PAIN SO ITS TAKING ME TIME TO ACCEPT MY DECISION EONS PAST!!! AND SAME DID THE ANIMALS AS WELL. THEY ARE PURE ENERGY AS WELL LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE WE SEE AND DON’T SEE.
        WITH WILEY COMING UNTO THE SCENE IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THEIR SUFFERING IS ALSO AT AN END.
        ABOUT 39 SCIENTISTS LAST YEAR AFTER YEARS OF RESEARCH FOUND OUT THAT ALL MAMMALS, SOME BIRDS LIKE CROWS AND ANIMALS LIKE OCTOPUS AND CUTTLE FISH
        ARE LIKE HUMANS SENTIENT AND ALSO “CONSCIOUS BEINGS”.
        THAT GIVES THEM THE SAME STATUS AS HUMANS AND MURDERERS OUT OF THE
        KILLERS. ALL THIS SHALL COME TO LIGHT VERY, VERY SOON WHEN “THE EVENT”
        HAPPENS. RIGHT NOW LETS TRY TO STOP THE GENOCIDE OF OUR ANIMAL FRIENDS
        SOONER THAN SOON!!! MAY PEACE, LOVE, HARMONY AND JOY REIGN ON THIS BEAUTIFUL
        PLANET OUR PRECIOUS MOTHER EARTH!!! NAMASTE…

• Trevor

February 21, 2013 at 10:16 am

Whatever people think or say about wolves is not the truth. I think the myth originated in eastern Europe, not sure of the date but it was when people were starving & the wolves stole food from time to time. Wolves are timid, they keep themselves to themselves & have something we do not have in our lives anymore. Faith in each other.
        I am no tree huger, nor am I disillusioned about how dangerous they may be if your stuck alone in the middle of nowhere. Wolves have been hunted for so many years & they are afraid of people. They survive only because they take care of each other.
        To anyone that thinks I am mad.. Watch a few documentaries & then visit a zoo & see the unhappiness in their eyes. Then you can think that I am a fool.
        Thc..

• vidapreciosa

February 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hi Trevor,
        There is no shame in being a tree hugger. Loose that negative paradigm obviously from your childwood ( a boy mustn’t cry?). We are now in the positive paradigm of the Feminine vibration to liberate us with Love, Peace and Harmony from the previous chauvinistic approach which has
        proven to be against all possible happiness of mind, body and soul.
        I simply adore animals and they all are so viciously treated by humans. As much as I understand
        the whole concept of this “HUMAN EXPERIMENT” I still cannot swallow the torture of children and animals.
        I am fully aware I have to detach myself from all 3D dualistic based events and I am daily letting go
        and letting be. I am almost done compared to what I used to be mentally and spiritually. Bad habits
        take time to transform into good ones.
        Although I know we all have been suffering for the sake of spiritual and mental evolution I really
        wish this BS to be over and done with once and for all! Damn I had enough!!! I am sure many of you feel the same way.
        The day the “DISCLOSURE” HAPPENS I AM GOING TO JUMP LIKE AN 18 YEAR OLD AND I AM
        76 YRS AND VERY MOBILE TO BE ABLE TO JUMP!!!
        Blessings to all of you of peace, love and joy.Namaste.

• Brenda McKenna

February 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Perhaps, if Wiley’s family wants his story to educate in schools, etc., his family could film him doing his family thing and show that to kids, and others. This way, Wiley is “in” the classroom, but has not left his “home den.”

My fellow volunteers and I are trying to get “coyote killing competitions” outlawed in NM at the Legislature this week. We had our first Judiciary Meeting yesterday. The Bill is still alive. I just hope it does not get tossed about so dang much, it does essentially nothing it was meant to do.

If so, our protests, letters, and education will continue.

79. reba

February 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm

just a fair warning to the folks who have never been around very much wildlife. wiley is truly and exceptional animal who found a very loving family! but coyotes are a lot like wild cats, some wil allow people to handle them and others state a very strong opinion on the subject of people! not all coyotes will be tame and gentle, some will come to enjoy people but some will always stay wild.

• vidapreciosa

February 21, 2013 at 5:57 am

SORRY BUT I DISAGREE. DOGS ARE EVOLUTIONARY CREATIONS FROM WOLVES AND COYOTES AND EVEN PERHAPS FOXES. IF REARED FROM BIRTH THEY SHALL BEHAVE LIKE TAMED DOGS. NO DIFFERENCE. JUST LIKE A HUMAN WILL BECOME LIKE AN ANIMAL IF REARED FROM BIRTH BY ANIMALS WHICH HAS HAPPENED LAST CENTURY. ” LOVE” CONQUERS EVERYTHING AND THE RARE OCCASIONS THAT IT FAILS IS SIMPLY A KARMIC
      RESPONSE THE HUMAN HAD TO SUFFER. RATHER THINK LIKE A DIVINE BEING THAT WE
      REALLY ARE INSTEAD OF DUALISTIC MINDED CREATURES ALWAYS FINDING REASONS TO FEAR SOMETHING!!! THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR EVER IF YOU “BELIEVE” BLINDLY!!!…

• applebear76

November 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thank you, this needs to be said and pointed out. People love love love to humanize everything, but by doing so you are only making a delusion for yourself. I think it’s great Wiley was saved, is so loved and protected, but the whole article is promoting him as a pet when they should be pointing out this is a rare circumstance that is needed to save Wileys life. Most people should not own a wild animal because they do not have the understanding or capabilities…having a good heart is not enough, you must understand their behavior and needs 100%.

80. judith razieli

February 21, 2013 at 12:28 am

So glad to read this story. I am very anti hunting. It is wrong and immoral to kill these wonderful animals. I always say the one thing nature doesn’t need is us. I hope more people find their hearts and stop the killing.

81. youhuntandfish

February 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

That’s nothing short of amazing. I would have thought for sure, like you did, that the coyote would have turned aggressive. Great story, and glad it all worked out.

82. Melanie

February 22, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Beautiful story! I love all the photos, especially of Wiley on the couch!

83. alan myers

February 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Great story, ALL LOVE !

84. Ronald J. McCarty Sr

February 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

There is good in all and Harmony on this Earth requires it. The human race is the only animal on this planet that just doesn’t get it and we kill because we can. As we move animals off of their land as we did the Indians eventually we will get back to destroying the Earth. it’s time to learn from the animals as we can learn to care for each other.
    Rick Hanestad, I didn’t know you before but you are my hero now> Wiley the Coyote, if it gets to dangerous there come live my German Shepherds!!!!

85. Caylee Parker

March 1, 2013 at 4:59 am

This coyote is friendly.I can see it in the pic and read it.This animal hasn’t harmed anyone and I don’t believe he or she wil.Please give this coyote a chance to live.

86. Betty J Gunderson

March 3, 2013 at 11:56 pm

As a child, my first kitten was a baby bob cat, which slept in my arms every night. My first dog was a baby red fox my father also rescued. Soon to follow was a baby raccoon (someone shot the mother and brought the baby to my father). One night on the way home, my father and mother saw a dead deer on the road and a baby nursing on the dead mother. Yes he to join our family and we nurse him. My greatest childhood memories is walking to school with a bob cat, red fox and a deer in tow. It was even greater when I saw them coming down the road to walk me back home. Grant it, I am taking you back to the 1950’s. My father was a judge in a small town, but he had a heart gold and where there was life in an animal, it was to be rescued. He rescued a dog that was thrown off a grey hound bus along the road way. He stopped the car and picked it up and laid it in my arms. That dog died on my 17 birthday. My father was a different kind of guy. He had a caring heart for animals and people. What ever we grew in the gardens he shared with others. My father instill in me a love for animals and how to rescue animals. My father’s last rescue took his life, but he saved my life in a drowning accident. He has been my Hero and they don’t seem to make Hero’s like that any more. Yes I have spent my whole life rescuing animals. When I look into the eyes of an animal, I see a heart and I feel love. I don’t understand people who kill wild life or hate wild life or simply have the need to fire there guns at animals. I am very happy this story has a happy ending for Willey and this family. I do hope Willey will be able to educate children and people and bring awareness to the blight of wild live. God Bless you rescuing Willey.

• Susan McCauley

December 12, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for sharing about your Dad and the innocents he rescued … What a wonderful man he was and so glad he raised a daughter like yourself.

87. Marina P. from Canada

April 24, 2013 at 1:36 am

What a beautiful, beautiful, soul-inspiring story. God bless this family who has learned to appreciate another of the many different individual animals that we share our planet with – and each and every animal is an INDIVIDUAL being with their own personalities, character quirks, and many of the same desires, instincts that we have as humans. Every living being wants to feel safe, to eat, to provide for their young, to avoid pain and suffering, but above all EVERY living being desperately wants to LIVE. That is the powerful, life-force instinct that transcends all species. And that is why any animal when trapped, shot at, or viciously being chased will flee and/ or fight with every ounce of energy in their body that they have. The sheer terror they experience in those moments, literally fighting for their life is unimaginable and they will resist until their last breath, just as we all would. Every individual being – human or non-human animals wants to LIVE, and does NOT want to die and be robbed of the opportunity to live out the rest of their lives on this beautiful planet. So what right does anyone have to violate this animal’s biologically natural right to live out the rest of his or her life? There is no theft more morally reprehensible than that of robbing another of their very existence. As far as we know, there is no proof reincarnation exists, so our time on this planet is a one-shot deal – for human animals (let’s not forget we are animals as well) as well non-human ones. None of us can take credit for being born Human, just as no animal had any say over what they would be. It’s their one and only chance to live the life they’ve been given, and we as humans have the power to allow them to do that. What could be more enlightened, powerful, and just than that?

Please allow wild animals to live out the only life that they’ve got on our beautiful planet.

I wish nothing but the best for Wiley and his human family – let’s hope he can awaken many otherwise-ignorant people to finally be educated, enlightened and have the epiphany that this wonderful father and man has had.

There is an incredibly, stunningly insightful and wise quote by Henry Beston (American naturalist and author) that sums it all up perfectly;

“We need another and a wiser and perhaps more mystical concept of animals. In a world more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth.”

April 24, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Thank you Marina, I had not read the quote before by Henry Beston & reallly like it. It says it all so well. I will copy it & add it to my bulletin board for future reference. Thanks

88. DEAN H ANDERSON

May 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm

It’s been said a million times here – but THANK YOU for sharing that very humane story! My experiences with coyotes – while few – have been so inspiring! They are beautiful animals, dignified and certainly sensitive – just like our dogs. In fact while out in the forest walking my dog, we came upon a very large male coyote, big enough to be a small wolf…I grabbed on to my dog’s collar, and we proceeded to sit down no more than 50 feet from the coyote. He sat down as well, and for the next 20 minutes or so, we both just sat there, admiring each other (at least we were admiring!) until the big boy slowly got up and walked away. I suppose he was just as curious about us as we were about him! At any rate, at NO time did I feel “threatened” by the big male coyote, and once he sensed we meant him no harm, he relaxed and simply did what we were doing – satisfying our curiousity and admiring God’s creatures.

89. Bernadette Ostrozovich

May 17, 2013 at 10:17 am

beautful and enlightening story. respect for rick hanestad not only for fighting for wiley and other wildlife, but also for his integrity in sharing his hunting history. rick, you are, in my opinion, an example of what it means to be a good man. wiley, by the way, is beautiful!

90. Debbie De La Cruz

May 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This brought tears to my eyes. I think the only hunting that should be allowed is for food and NO TROPHY hunting. Training dogs to kill other animals may make the dogs more aggressive to other pets at home. I’m glad Wiley now has a good home and is able to sing every night.

91. David Hereaux

October 27, 2013 at 1:42 am

Every animal in the world is just like a Coyote or a dog or a cat, ETC.. We are way past do to wake up and stop the horror. I am sure this story and these people have made a major impact in the hunting community there, but it’s still just a very small fraction of what’s needed to turn the world around.

92. roy fallon

October 27, 2013 at 2:37 am

A brilliant story… I live with a hybrid wolf/akita in my home.. He is the most amazing guy… So protective and so beautiful. He also some a hundred different songs… No one can understand how absolutely brilliant it is to come home from work and be greeted every time by a howling and excited hybrid wolf… He wasn’t wild born like Wiley. I just think that it is fantastic to have such beauty in your life…

93. Konstantina

October 27, 2013 at 3:53 am

Simply lovely 😀

94. Deepti

October 27, 2013 at 3:54 am

Such an amazing story.god bless

95. Fiona Gould

October 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Thank you for seeing the light , & realising that hunting these animals & any other animal for no reason is barbaric ! Let’s hope you can inspire others to see the light !

96. karenlyonskalmenson

October 28, 2013 at 5:36 am

inside all our chests
    a heart beats.
    when it beats in tune
    to the vibrations of love,
    the earth sings with
    joy♥

97. WickedCats

October 28, 2013 at 9:28 am

What a great story. But I’m sad to agree with his statement that some will choose to remain ignorant. Still, one person at a time.

98. Lynda Corkum

November 1, 2013 at 7:38 am

wish more people would become enlightened… each and every animal has as right to life as we do… trapping and hunting are cruel and unnecessary… I am ashamed to live among people who consider it ok!

99. Cheryl

November 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

I love this story. Wish all hunters would wake up and realize the beauty of wildlife.

100. Serena Vann

November 4, 2013 at 11:40 am

I am so glad this man and his family want to change how wild animals are viewed! Bless him so much. It was too bad that poor fawn whom the DNR murdered did not get the same luck. When the guy told him a rescue was taking it in Illinois, they ignored him and bullied him and his helpers and took the poor baby by force. When guy saw fawn so limp, they lied and said he was medicated. Bullshit! They murdered a poor little baby! I will never forgive the DNR for that horrific act! Hate my adopted state so much for that act ! To that place in Ladysmith that allows that horrible viewing of coyotrs being ripped apart by dogs, yet DNR allows that? Bastards, all of them!!!!!

101. Troy DaBillo

November 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm

that is so cool

102. Teresa Kurzrock

November 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

This reminds me of Charlie, the coyote who lives with his human, Shreve Stockton, in Wyoming. I am thankful that there are at least some people who recognize that these animals have love in them. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

103. Jamee Swisher

November 4, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I really wish humans would feel bad about killing all animals for sport, spite, or fear. As I have gotten older I have come to realize that all animals have personalities, spirits and characters. If you can learn to respect nature you can elevate yourself spiritually. Please stop killing just to kill. They are hear for a reason. If you get rid of them what damage could this do to our planet? What may lurk because they are not there to do what they do? The earth would no longer hear the many songs that these magnificent creatures sing. Please stop the killings.

104. Rachel Clarke

November 5, 2013 at 2:17 am

Wonderful story! The coyote sounds more amenable to “taming” than a wolf; very compassionate treatment of him. Hasn’t needed to be “fixed” to prevent aggressive behavior? How old is he now?

• rick hanestad

December 25, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Rachel, Wiley has been neutered he is three yrs old.

Rick

105. Arlene Miller

November 5, 2013 at 3:08 am

I too have a friend name “WYLEE” It is a female I helped 5 years ago when I moved to the hills here. I take care of her even though I can’t keep her in my apt. She is my friend and I love her dearly.

106. Jay Andre

November 5, 2013 at 3:47 am

I am very very touched by your story. People who hunt for “sport” and also use other animals to to do the hunting, they need to be hunted and killed, not the animals that are used for hunting, ’cause they are only doing what they were taught to do, but the humans!!! I should’ve used the words Homo Sapiens, ’cause there is no “human” or humane thing about them!! They need to be hunted and as viciously killed and mutilated as they have done to those very defenseless animals!! And you are right, it “is” 100% ignorance and un-educated behavior. My blood is boiling and my BP is sky rocketing as I write this!! I have a great way for every state to make lots of money on the issuance of hunting licenses, and at same time keep down the crime rate. Issue hunting licenses on convicted criminals, no matter how small the offense. The more heinous the crime the more costly the license!! And it would be up to the “hunter” to decide on whatever the means he wishes to “dispatch” the criminal. That way, those who were once the hunter, now become the hunted, with only one end result or outcome. “DEATH”!!

107. cindy McKenzie

November 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

God bless you for changing your life around to help defenseless animals……. you will be rewarded…. It make me feel blessed that someone actually gave a dam and helped to save the life of a wild animal, instead of hunting and shooting it……… We need more awareness for others to know they are just looking to live their lives, raise their babies and to survive on this earth….. is it really to much to ask.? Let them be in peace…………… God did not create them to but hunted and killed just for the fun of it……..

108. Cherise Tolen

November 5, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi there, we had the exact same thing happen to us when we were kids in Girouxville, Alberta, Canada. We named him Jesse and he was a part of our household just like any other pet would be(we had also found him eyes still closed). Seeing your story brought back a ton of memories!! He is our most remembered pet. At one point he even lost a leg, thanks to an amazing vet who amputated it. See Jesse would often return to the wild for a cpl weeks here and there and always returned home to snuggle up on the couch with us. Until the day he came limping home, that’s when the leg was amputated. He was after that a three legged coyote! After many loving years we did loose him, someone in the end shot him and left him on our acreage. It was too sad to describe, we loved him as one our own. They are no different than any other animal. He even loved our cats and iguana we had at the time. Wonderful to hear another story! 🙂

• rick hanestad

December 25, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Thank you for sharing! Out of fear I do have constant surveillance on wiley when im not with him. If somone was to harm him they would be on film.

109. Doug

November 5, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I love all animals I have a timber wolf hybrid an he’s my proud and joy he wouldn’t hurt a flea and gets along with my Shepard I cant imagine why anyone would want to hurt them makes me sad but im glad there’s people out in the world like us

110. Bonnie

November 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Tank you from the bottom of my heart ! Hunting and killing and even more so trapping makes mr sick to my stomach…the torture that envokes is so gut wrenching to even think about it makes me embarrassed to be a human being… To see how you transformed from the love of Gods creature make me cry with joy. Wiley is beautiful and loving and you are both blessed to have found each other. Thank you

111. Donnajayne Brown

November 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm

This story made me cry. You are a hero. I am so proud of you for changing your ways.There are a couple of books worth reading that are eye opening. When Elephants Weep., is one…I am sorry I cannot recall the author , and The Emotional Lives of Animals by Marc Bekof..which is scientifically and researched based. is the other. All animals are sentient, feeling, thinking creatures with emotions . Some may have those akin to humans, some more some less. To simply rid, torture or slaughter any animal due to our hubris and dominance does, indeed, not only show expose man’s supreme ignorance but will ultimately. lead to his undoing. By having the morals, ethics and b—s to rescue Wiley, and stand up for his rights, you also set a wonderful example to your children about what it is to be a steward of the planet and All of her Denizens!

112. Robin L. Gilson

November 11, 2013 at 8:06 am

I am a Wisconsin resident….this is such a beautiful story!!! I am glad that Wiley will get to live a long loving healthy life with your family!!! Also glad that Wiley helped you to see that these animals are not beasts they are lives too!!! I believe that Coyotes should be left to the wild!!! I hope that you win your fight to stop the pen fights!!! That is just wrong there is no way for those poor Coyotes to fight when all they know is open spaces and we all know that one against fifty is impossible!!!! Ignorance is something we have to fight everyday in many situations…why do poor animals that know nothing but the wild and cause no harm have to be condemned to human ignorance!!!!! Best of luck in your endeavors to save the Coyotes!!!! Also Wiley is just adorable!!!!! 🙂

113. BRose

November 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I was not aware that we practiced “fenced in training” for hounds around here. That pretty damn messed up. It is easy to see in the photos that this is a house pet and should be seen that way in the eyes of the state. Let them keep their loved one.

114. Eric

November 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

The very worst thing I see is the the poor animal is wrapped in a Bears blanket. That Yote is from WI. Please get that pup a Packers blanket ASAP!

115. Susan Black

November 12, 2013 at 8:27 pm

What a handsome coyote. Thank you for saving him as a pup and raising him to be a respectful animal. I love that you now defend the coyote. Hope he lives a long life!

116. Lisa Boggs

November 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

I have thought for the last five years that my one of my many dogs( a rescue ) was a coy dog, he does not look coyote but he has the instincts that make me think he is, he can jump in the air with the ability and grace of a cat, he can snatch a bird out of the air, he will kill with the grace and speed of a coyote and he is incredibly smart and loving. Every time I see a coyote pelt I feel sick, they look like dogs and apparently with domestication can be as a dog. Thank you for sharing Wily with us.

117. Beth

November 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I love this story so much.

118. Jennifer

December 10, 2013 at 6:31 am

This made my morning 🙂
    Thank you for a tear jerking story of a much needed kind heart.

119. Jennifer

December 10, 2013 at 7:42 am

This is such a beautiful story, this whole family deserves the highest of commendations! You saved a precious life and gained a family member in return. In my opinion nobody should take a life unless they’re starving, people who hunt for sport absolutely sicken me. There’s a wonderful life lesson to be learned here, and these people have hearts of gold!

120. Brittany

December 10, 2013 at 7:51 am

This is a heart felt story all the way around, but the circumstances allowed for this coyote to be domesticated. I love all animals and find it amazingly great that this happened. Stories like this make me want to work with animals and help spread awareness. He is right, people are ignorant about animals all of the time and it’s easy for ignorance to spread.

121. Nicole Barua

December 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

God bless them all. Such a beautiful story. Wiley seems just like a doggie. I can never understand, how people, can enjoy an animals suffering and torture. Makes me cry everytime. This story however made me hopeful. Wishing this family all the best.

122. Joey

December 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

As humans with the power to run the world we often forget that though we may be the dominant species other animals have the same capacity as we do to love and take care of their families. As humans we have a responsibility to end animal cruelty in our name especially for something so trivial as entertainment. I’m glad this man is using his experiences to change the minds of others, it’s hard worthwhile work that helps us as a species do better on this planet.

123. msgeekmedia

December 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This replicates the actual process by which ancient humans domesticated what became the family dog. The Russian fox experiments have also replicated this process, and now there is a new breed of animal that is basically a dog-like fox. Coyotes are formidable creatures, people here in California have to learn how to live side by side with wild Coyotes and make sure their pets don’t become easy meat for them. But a defenseless little pup? There is a Jewish proverb: “He who saves a life saves the whole world.” Howl on, Wiley!

124. Poovy

December 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

How absolutely beautiful this is. I can’t imagine people hurting these animals. It breaks my heart.

125. Jack Be'Flippen

December 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm

One thing you guys need to do is record is music and start a youtube channel for him. Id love to hear coyotes again. I live in West Texas and the droughts have been hard on the wildlife out here.
    used to have coyotes all the time come up and drink from our bird bath.

126. Dennis Roberts

December 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Wow, this story sure opened my eyes wider and my mind. Thank you so much for posting

127. Danielle Alary

December 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Coyotes often bread with other dogs. I rescued a sheppard coyote, that gave birth months later to 8 puppies. Some were more coyotes than others. One, in fact looks very much like one, and people are amazed when they see him. He is better than a sheppard, smart fast, loves to run, the most adorable gentle dog I have seen in my life. A baby animal learns from his parents to fear or to react to different sounds and smells. Your baby coyote never had enough time to learn from his mom, he has learned to socialize and behave from you. as long as you have him fixed early, his instinct should not take over, ever. He should be protected and live the only way he knows how!

128. Pam Atkins

December 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Beautiful story. I love stories about Gods creatures that say are unlovable.

129. Brennan Stephenson

December 10, 2013 at 10:46 pm

What I find disgusting about this article is the fact that it is legal sport to have hounds tear apart a coyote, but fighting of domestic dogs is illegal. This is another example of people exploiting a loophole in the system. I pity them and their small, ignorant, perverse minds. What this man did for his pet is wonderful. He is an example of a good man.

130. Aaron Hafdahl

December 11, 2013 at 5:44 am

Made my night. Thanks you!!!!

131. Maritas

December 11, 2013 at 9:19 am

what an awesome story. It’s proof that any animal given a chance to be understood can be wonderful. Am I saying that every coyote should be pets, no but they should be treated with respect. It’s digusting that people do the evil that they do with their dogs – the same can be said for the fox hunting and the hunts in enclosed pens. It’s a poor excuse for sportsmanship in the name of “hunting”

132. Robyn

December 11, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love these furbabies. I had one adopt me in Arizona when he was ill we nursed him back to health but he always stayed close to me even when I moved he followed. I love them so.

133. Tanya Rafajlovski

December 11, 2013 at 1:40 pm

All living beings fell pain and love!!! Hurt no living being and love all living beings because all life matters!!!

134. lesley yates

December 11, 2013 at 7:44 pm

We met one up close and personal in Yosemite in July of this year. He was very friendly, never snarled or growled. The guy in the van ahead of us pet him and it was clearly not afraid of humans and just wanted food. I have no doubt this coyote is /was like Wiley. We came back through that same area about an hour and a half later and he was still in the same spot, where visitors could pull over and take pictures of him and give him food, which by the way is against the law.

135. sue

December 11, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I have always wondered if you can tame a wolf why not a coyote. Thank you for your store. I listen to them sing all summer. Very different from any other dogs.

136. Jennifer Skirpan

December 12, 2013 at 6:04 am

Such a wonderful story! Thank you so much for changing your heart.. im glad you’ve given Wiley a chance & a loving home! But I was horrified to know coyotes are being killed in pens for public entertainment! How horrific! THIS SHOULD BE OUTLAWED IMMEDIATELY! & what are these people teaching these dogs.. but to kill! What will they do to another animal or person for that matter! Absolutely disgusting! STOP THIS NOW!!!

137. Brittany

December 12, 2013 at 6:29 am

Wow great story…..I live in sc same here with shoot to kill….I wouldn’t unless they attacked my livestock….maybe its people who need some population control

138. kristy

December 12, 2013 at 6:32 am

I did the same thing with a raccoon, he is in our house..loose and we have several dogs he plays with, he doesn’t tear up anything , sleeps with us, loves our granddaughter, and is the sweetest lil guy ever. We have had him four years now and I can’t imagine not coming home to get kisses from him! He is absolutely our baby.

139. Mary Royall

December 12, 2013 at 7:12 am

I love this story about Wiley . I have a raccoon named rickybobby and he is almost 5 years old and this little guy is my whole world. He is the smartest and sweetest animal I have ever seen. I don’t know how anyone could ever hurt a raccoon. Animals only know what they are taught to be. Ricky loves to give us hugs and kisses all the time. I wouldn’t give him up for anything in this world! He is a inside coon and he has his own bedroom that’s full of all his stuff.

• vidapreciosa

December 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

Adorable! We humans are made out of Pure Energy which is the fabric of creation and so all
      that we see with our eyes or also the unseen, everything there is, is PURE ENERGY vibrating
      at lower frequencies that determine the form created by the Universal Intelligence that we call
      God. All animals have a soul like we do. Ignore the lack of knowledge of the distorted beliefs
      that say otherwise. 39 scientists around 1 1/2 years ago after extensive research found out
      that animals like humans are sentient beings but above that they are also CONSCIOUS BEINGS.
      All over the internet you can confirm that by seeing animal behaviour of concern, protection
      and unconditional love not only towards humans but of other species that commonly would
      be enemies according to our human perspective. Cats befriending birds, tigers walking with
      pigs, dogs loving cats, lions embracing humans etc, etc, etc….
      The cabal not only enslaved us but taught us for centuries all the exact opposite of the reality
      of life concerning ourselves and all living beings. We are not carnivours. Just check the meters
      and meters of intestines we have like any other herbivourous animal: elephants, monkeys, pandas,
      impalas, etc. Meat is a poison to our human body. Even doctors when one has heart problems
      advise to stop eating meat altogether. Meat consumption has been killing people sooner than
      necessary.Meat is full of toxins which is lethal to humans eventually!!!
      Animals are indeed our brothers and sisters in another forms and by Universal Law (God)to be
      loved and protected by us the intending good caretakers. Are we the moral, decent humans
      going to uprise and stop this insanity we are holed in or are we going to get the strength to
      overcome this situation by demanding as government taxes payers for the Obama Administration
      to immediately stop all human and animal abuses and insist on a peaceful caring compassionate
      treatment of all living beings besides demanding financial recompense for all our stolen money
      by banks??? Sleep over it!

140. Judy

December 12, 2013 at 8:25 am

Inspiring. All Gods creatures deserve to be treated with respect. Cruelty to any speicies is just WRONG. Love how coyote has changed your life.

141. paul moore

December 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I am will never understand the killing of an animal I do not plan on eating.

142. Chris Lewis

December 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

That’s awesome, the world needs more people like this.

143. Carol Robyna Wong

December 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Pls follow up to ensure this guy is for real saving a coyote.

144. Nidia Calderon

December 12, 2013 at 10:21 pm

THE WORLD NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE THIS…

145. Carly Wiley

December 13, 2013 at 5:17 am

All I want to say is save the coyote and the wolves. They are all God’s creatures and they are beautiful.

146. Stephanie Rapp-Brooks

December 13, 2013 at 7:25 am

I so love this. We had a half coyote when I was little till I was in middle school. One of the best dogs we ever had.

147. Amy westphal

December 13, 2013 at 8:50 am

Omg, this story had me in tears. I have worked in the animal field for 20 plus years, I have never really been against hunting but have always thought trapping is in humane. I understand some times the population has to be controlled but not in humanely. I love this story & will pass it on to everyone. I know. It shows that even a ill thought of wild animal can be a loving,gentle family (pet) member. Good luck.

148. delilah

December 13, 2013 at 10:32 am

Love this turned around hunter…let him keep his pet Wiley. I think this should b a lesson to humans to respect all animals. ♥ u wiley

149. Tracey

December 13, 2013 at 11:25 am

I love this story.. PLEASE MAKE A YOUTUBE OF HIM SINGING. I LOVE HEARING WILDLIFE AND WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HIS VOICE.

• Rick

December 23, 2013 at 8:59 am

Tracey

Incredible Features flew in from LA and did a story on Wiley; also filmed him. In the film he sings with my daughter. You can watch the video and see their story http://incrediblefeatures.net/.

150. Heather Van Arsdel

December 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Thank you for rethinking your hunting ways. I wish everyone could come to the same conclusion as you. All animals are precious and deserve a chance at life, just like the next. 🙂

151. Batya

December 13, 2013 at 2:41 pm

WE MUST HAVE LAWS THAT PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF OTHER ANIMALS, OTHER THAN ONLY HUMANS. DNR STAFF AND THOSE MAKING LAWS FOR THE PROTECTION OF ANIMALS SHOULD ALSO BE MORE EDUCATED REGARDING WILDLIFE.

152. Lorraine Modoski

December 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

That’s amazing

153. Matt Leach

December 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

This is an amazing animal and I got to meet and play with Wiley!! So glad they got to keep him!! He’s a great pet!

154. william w welch

December 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm

ive traped and hunted my entire life i stopd two years ago and regret not changing sooner. killing anything that has such a struggle just to survive is wrong im ashamed for the way i got a thrill in killing i think people do change it just takes age and enough sadness in the act of killing anything People do change

155. Cindi R

December 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm

A lot of times I hear people say, “I can’t understand why God would let this happen to me?” and then I read articles about the pleasure people get from killing animals that God put here for a reason. I wonder if God will look at them the same way and says, “How could I have possibly let these murderous creatures live?” I would be worried hunters, very, very worried.

156. F. Verren

December 16, 2013 at 7:02 am

The last picture would be priceless if he was sleeping under a blanket with a stuffed road runner. We have coyotes in the woods behind our house. My dog has been spotted running with them back there. They are vilified simply because they can be competition for humans by going after livestock. It’s easier to kill them if you make them appear to be vicious killing machines.

157. Laura Hulbert

December 18, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I am so glad that you took Wiley. I am also glad that there was information on here as to what happens to coyotes no matter how hard it was for me to read. I hope by this information some if not most or all realize what happens to these animals and what they go through. To most of us this brings tears to our eyes and is so unbearable we cant even imagine this happening. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I will be moving back to the area of WI as soon as winter is over. Maybe I will be of more help living closer than. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

158. Kristina

December 21, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Wild animals r not always wild if they r raised correctly in captivity they can b just like any other animal that we live with

• Laura Hulbert

December 22, 2013 at 1:06 am

I can not Thank You enough for what you have done for Wiley and told your story and by getting this out to the public as to what is really going on with animals out in the wild. It makes me cry to think of people being this cruel and inhuman to animals to just stand by and watch, let alone participate in something so horrific as this. I am Thankful for the ones who see now that it is wrong and hope that others will see that this is so wrong also and Laws Will Be Changed!!!!! Thank You for helping Wiley, it only starts with one. Uphill from here. I only wish I was already moved back to the area so I could be of more help or if another furbaby needed a good home (mom).

• rick hanestad

December 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Thank–you

159. Monique

December 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Wiley is amazing. Killing an animal by putting them in a situation where they can’t hold their own against a bunch of hunting dogs isn’t sport it’s sickening and anyone who is part of that is as sick as James Vick. Laws need to be made regulating these injustices. If people wernt so ignorant we wouldn’t have the problems we do with too many of any species. Humans alone are responsible for the extinction of many species and encroaching on the area these animals should have. They all need to be protected from US!!

160. natalia

December 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Why not sue the people that pit dogs on coyotes? This is cruelty to animals. There is a law, according to which such acts are punishable by fines and prison

December 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Because the state of Wisconsin has written protection for hounders into law. This state is the most horrible place for wildlife in the US.

161. Christine

January 2, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for the love and compassion you have shown Wiley and other wildlife here in Wisconsin. I always feel sick when I see hunters in the fields in their blaze orange and I say a prayer for all of God’s creatures to run, hide and stay safe, but sadly, should their lives come to an end, I pray that God hold’s them gently in his loving arms.

162. Belinda

January 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

What a beautiful ending to a very sad and disgusting, inhumane way to treat any living creature!!
    Im so glad you took a brave stand against and won this little guy Wiley into your home and your hearts! Hopefully this was meant to be, so that human ignorance may take a more caring attitude towards these beautiful animals who also have a right to live freely on this earth. Thank you for taking that step to hopefully make some great changes to show everyone what a little love can do!! 🙂