Cathy Stepp Still Doesn’t Get It

03 Apr
799px-Ruthart_(attrib)_Bärenhatz

Welcome to Wisconsin!!!

Last week numerous articles appeared in the media about how the revenue being generated for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resource’s “protection and management” program has declined rapidly in the past decade

Donations to Wisconsin’s endangered resources program hit 10-year low

From the article:

The state Department of Natural Resources program draws 25% of its money from such donations. Sources for those include people buying special license plates or checking a box on their state income tax forms.

Wildlife officials sid it’s unclear why donations are declining. They’re preparing a public education plan to better explain the importance of their work.

They just don’t get it do they? Why would people donate to a corrupt agency that panders to a tiny special interest while ignoring the rest of us? Funny how these articles never mention that a massive chunk of the money collected for this fund went to bribe “reimburse” bear hounders for dogs allegedly killed by wolves while they were out tormenting bears and other wildlife. I and many others refused to purchase these license plates or donate for this very reason.

And now in an effort to “educate” the general public real-estate developer turned DNR Secretery Cathy Stepp posted this fluffy piece in the Capital Times:

Cathy Stepp: Help care for Wisconsin’s rare plants and wildlife

Stepp somehow seems to live in an alternate universe where us “wildlife watchers” have not been paying attention to what has been occurring in the past two plus years:

Together, DNR staff, landowners, citizens, conservation organizations, government agencies and corporations have returned bald eagles, trumpeter swans, osprey and whooping cranes to our skies. They’ve built the nation’s largest State Natural Areas program to protect pristine remnant prairies, savannas, forests and wetlands for people to use and enjoy while preserving important cultural and ecological features.

These caretakers also have led the way in forging innovative partnerships that enable private landowners and industry to carry out their business while protecting rare orchids, endangered bats, freshwater mussels and more.

To keep these success stories coming, we need more hands on deck. Wisconsin’s rare plants and animals face serious threats including a warmer climate, more fragmentation of their habitats, and waves of aggressive invasive plants and animals. These challenges make locating and tracking, managing and protecting rare species even more important.

A real estate developer worried about “fragmentation of habitat?” Yeah, I buy that. The rest sounds all fluffy and grand until you see the real motive behind Stepp’s sudden concern:

By joining the community of caretakers, you’ll also have a great time and will help strengthen Wisconsin’s economy, environment, and way of life. Our rare plants, animals and State Natural Areas are part of the food webs and ecosystems that provide the foundation for our hunting and fishing traditions. They fuel a wildlife watching industry that brings $1.489 billion in direct spending to our communities and supports Wisconsin’s $13 billion tourism industry.

It all comes back to those “hunting traditions.” Stepp wants our money and even points out how much money wildlife watchers bring to the economy, yet she and her ilk continue to shut us out. She expects us to happily hand over our money and then have no say in what happens to our wildlife and wild lands. She works hand in hand with goons like Bob Welch and the bear hounders to undermine every remaining concept of “fair-chase” and “ethics,” but expects us to look the other way and continue to give money. Remember this is the same Cathy Stepp that wants to turn the Mackenzie Center into a shooting range to “recruit” hunters and trappers at the expense of educating children. This would essentially turn the Center into a giant camp devoted to teaching people how to kill and torment wildlife. No thank you.

So now that Stepp is desperate for money she is trying to “acknowledge” us while still ignoring our views. Far too little, far too late. You had your opportunity to reach out to us several times during the two plus years that you have been in office. Each time your agency blew us off and your Natural Resources Board ignored us.

By the way, anyone hear anything in the media about the 3,000 plus letters submitted to the board against hounding before the last hearing? I sure haven’t. Until the DNR shows that they are serious about listening to ALL of us rather than Bob Welch and the bear hounders they will not get one dime from me. As long as the DNR allows packs of vicious dogs to run rampant through our woods 24/7, 365, they will not get a dime from me. I hope the rest of you feel the same way. I have always been generous with where I give my money, and not one dime of it will go to this agency until they learn some ethics and stop being a front for the killing cartels in this state.

14 responses to “Cathy Stepp Still Doesn’t Get It

1. Suzanne Dunham

April 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Stop the killing and we will start giving!!!!!

2. William huard

April 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Well written response. I just picked up Richard thiel’s book about the early years of wolf recovery in Wisconsin….does anyone have contact with him? This State should be ashamed- taking a peer reviewed model of wolf recovery and trying to turn it over to some SLOB Hounder douchebags…..what a disgrace

3. nackpets

April 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm

They say the root of all evil is money maybe when there is no money Cathy will pull her and head out of her ass and realized she is kissing the wrong ass and the evil will stop!!!

• William huard

April 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Stepp is the ultimate political shill. What a dirtbag

4. L

April 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm

It pains me, but I continue to renew my wolf plate, as to me they are still an endangered species and by keeping my wolf plate I am showing my support for them to all that drive by me, especially to those hunters who would like to kill one. I still see other wolf plates around. I have NEVER seen one of the new redesigned ones, with the meadowlark, anywhere.

The sooner the end of Walker’s term, the better. Why, oh why couldn’t he have been recalled… Maybe if we get some sensible people back in the DNR administration and on the Natural Resources Board, things will change. Until then, continue the fight for our wildlife friends who can’t!

5. Gail

April 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Wow! This is great! Is this published in a WI newspaper somewhere? Sure would pull the rug out from under the DNR’s feet. They need a well-deserved reality check. I’m not a WI resident but believe me, you’re not alone. They all pull the same nonsense and few of the public even know what’s going on.

6. laina

April 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Anyone who has a wolf plate should call the DNR and ask for their money back.
    I believe that would send a clear message.

• L

April 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Sad to say, but that wouldn’t help things, but only make it worse for all the other plant and animal species relying on this revenue. When I testified last year at the public hearing I mentioned my support of Endangered Species and called the DNR Endangered Species Dept. to see how much money they’d lost in recent years because of the wolf issue. I told them my opinion about this subject. Unfortunately, people, this is all about MONEY. If we don’t provide any, of course they are going to pander to the hunters. That is who pays their salaries. If you want to do something about this, start paying user fees to watch wildlife. Patronize lodging and eating establishments and let them know you are there to enjoy living wildlife. That is how you are going to get heard. Show them the money.

April 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm

But that is exactly the problem. How can we expect an agency to bite the hand that feeds it. I don’t believe for a second that the hunting groups want more money paid to the DNR from non-hunting users because then we may have the nerve to actually ask for a seat at the table. Nationwide “wildlife watchers’ bring in far more than the killing sports do , yet we are continually marginalized by state “fish and game” departments. I have never once heard any non-hunter complain about having to pay a “user fee” or extra tax for environmental issues. I would in a heartbeat, but you can damn well bet that I want the same seat at the table that they killing cartels get. That is why the killing cartels will never allow anything more than a token amount from non-hunters to fund the agency. They have total control under the current corrupt system and the DNR is to scared to bite the hand of their masters. This will never change until the majority stand up and demand a place at the stable for ALL stakeholder, and not just the hand picked killing cartels.

• laina

April 5, 2013 at 7:36 am

L,
        What you say about patronizing lodging places and restaurants and letting them know why you are there is something I’ve thought of also. If people could do that while being very friendly and courteous it could go a long way, especially in some of the poorer areas of the state. I’m thinking about a small group of wolf watchers coming in to town and leaving a good impression and spending money. Because yes, it’s all about the money and coming across as model visitors. It might require a wolf friendly landowner and/or guide though. What do you think?

April 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I had read in the WSJ that dog re-embursements no longer come out of the plates. The disregard of the 3,000 letters is bothersome.

8. Sandra McGee

April 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Stepp is a schill for the Bear Hounders & any other hunting idiot. I don’t live in WI. either, but I will
    not go into WI. to buy one damn thing. Walker needs to go & so do ALL of the other Re-Puke-A-Thugs. This country has turned in to a money grubbing – self centered – kill everything country.

9. rali74

April 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Everyone if you need another example of how messed up and sadistic the predator haters are in this state, please read the post about the sick dead coyote display near Boscobel WI by Howling for Wolves on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HowlingForWolves

10. Wolf is my Soul

April 12, 2013 at 3:16 am

Reblogged this on Carinas space and commented:
    She is not alone sadly… LOTS of people just don’t GET it!!