Why are Wildlife “Snuff Films” Considered Entertainment in America?

17 May
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Today, I had intended to write a post about the exploitative “reality” television shows that are all over television, but someone beat me to it. Yesterday, while at my health club, one of the channels showed the former “History” channel broadcasting a show called “Swamp People.” I couldn’t hear the dialog of the program but for a solid hour the show showed a collection of cretins impaling alligators with massive hooks and executing them with rifle shots. The killings were followed by showing camo hat types with dubious forms of dental hygiene acting like they were badasses for shooting these hooked animals execution style. This occurred over and over throughout the hour and I was astounded that people would consider these wildlife snuff films to be “entertainment.” Somehow television programs showing cretins executing alligators and other wildlife life have become popular entertainment in the United States. What does this say about our culture? I have a suggestion. How about having a “reality” TV show that shows what happens in a slaughterhouse? Would that be as popular? I doubt it because people do not want to see how that steak or hamburger ended up on their plate. So then why are these wildlife snuff/redneck shows so popular?

Here is an outstanding article about this topic from The Guardian in the UK:

Bloodthirsty ‘factual’ TV shows demonise wildlife

Funny how after centuries of war and massive bloodshed, Europe gets it while we wallow in cowboy fantasies and barbaric “traditions” that the majority of the civilized world has moved on from. Please let me know what you think.

Tags: ,

14 responses to “Why are Wildlife “Snuff Films” Considered Entertainment in America?

1. Save Americas Wolves

May 17, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Reblogged this on saveamericaswolves.

2. laina

May 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Yes, Rali
    Yesterday on the internet “news” there was a photo to click on for a story of a young man who had killed a large alligator. I did not click on it so I don’t know the story but it was most likely on a par with what you have described above. If posing with dead animals ever goes out of style it will be something to celebrate. In the meantime we can make our feelings known to the news outlets that it is offensive.

3. Exposing the Big Game

May 18, 2013 at 2:50 am

Reblogged this on Exposing the Big Game.

4. Gator Woman

May 18, 2013 at 6:34 am

You know of course that you are swimming upstream, as am I.
    There are so few of us and so many who could care less about ANY animals.
    What is important to them is the superficial world they dwell in.

5. Melody Scamman

May 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

The reason is simple. Money. These Rednecks use their own locations, trucks, clothes…everything! All the networks need is a camera man and a camera to film these shows. You gotta know these rednecks don’t make union scale!

• Melody Scamman

May 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

6. Melody Scamman

May 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

Sorry, Mackenzie was playing and it posted twice.

7. Nikohl Vandel

May 18, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Reblogged this on Niki.V.all.ways.My.way. and commented:
    lol … some tv may be worth watching after all!

8. Barbara Resheske

May 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm

We can protest by writing to the stations that air these monstrosities called entertainment, turn off the t.v.,and educate the public. America has become a land of exploitation,red neck entertainment,a Godless society.Children,animals,the elderly…any that can’t speak up are used,abused,vulnerable and discarded.It is time to take a stand and demand a better life for animals.

May 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Barbara, I agree with everything that you said except for the godless part. Most of the people that perpetrate these acts consider themselves proud Christians. Many more use religion to justify their barbaric acts on animals and the defenseless all over the world. In my opinion the absence of religion would be the best thing to ever happen to our global community. Of course I am an outspoken non-believer so I am just stating my opinion.

9. Buddy2Blogger

May 18, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Reblogged this on Sherlockian's Blog.

10. glenn62

May 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

Reblogged this on Glenn62’s Blog.

11. Hiyori Takashi

May 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It’s time to write to the stations, and let them know that either they do something about these ” shows” or we start to boycott them. Not a single penny of mine is going to them, nor is any ratings. I made sure my cable does not have the Discovery channel and I’m glad it doesn’t.

12. Wolf is my Soul

May 26, 2013 at 4:26 am

Reblogged this on Carinas space.