This Is Not What I Voted For…….

08 Jun
Three wolf haters in one picture! President Obama, USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack, and "Cowboy" Ken Salazar.

Three wolf haters in one picture! President Obama, USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack, and “Cowboy” Ken Salazar.

**Disclaimer** What follows is not representative of Patricia or even the WE VOW group. It is my opinion and mine alone.

Each day I am coming more and more to the conclusion that the man occupying the White House is not the same man that I thought I voted for.

Am I talking about drone strikes? No, I really don’t care if our CIA or Air Force takes out the jihadists hell bent on killing us because we don’t buy into their “party like it’s 699” philosophy. I also do not have any sympathy for people that call for the death of a young girl that was gang raped by thugs because she is “impure.” I also am not too keen on being sympathetic to those that ram airplanes into buildings or blow up schools because girls are being educated which apparently is a big taboo in that “culture.” Do I like civilians being killed? Of course not, but our enemies sure don’t have a problem with it.

Am I talking about the IRS “scandal?” Hell no! I still cannot see what is wrong with giving extra scrutiny to groups that whine and complain about taxes and are essentially anti-government. I would think the IRS would be derelict in their duties if they didn’t give them extra scrutiny left or right.

Am I angry about the NSA “spying” program where they have access to phone and internet records? Again no. I really don’t care if the NSA sees that I texted my wife a couple of times to bitch about my job or to ask what we are having for supper. I also don’t care if the NSA sees that I spend too much time on Facebook bitching about things when I should be working. Ok, I am guilty of occasionally taking a gander at a naked woman or two on the internet in my time, but I don’t think the NSA cares unless Pat Robertson is now running that agency . As far as I am concerned snoop away as long as it doesn’t get too cozy.

Am I angry about “Obamacare?” Hell no. I think that it is a great first step toward joining the rest of the civilized world. Hopefully universal healthcare is next.

Am I angry about the “gun control” that Obama is pushing for. Again, hell no! Gun nuts make me sick. I don’t have a problem with people reasonably owning guns, I just have a problem with guns owning people as is the case on our culture. And there is that “well regulated militia” thing that the gun nuts seem to always omit when they preach their worship for the Second Amendment.

So what am I angry about regarding the Obama Administration? Well, this is a wildlife site so I think you can guess where I am going with this. When Barack Obama was elected President in 2008, I was skeptical about some things in his platform, but I was also ecstatic that after the eight long nightmare years of the Bush Administration we finally had a true “Progressive” in the White House once again. I had high hopes for the future of our wildlife and wild lands and completely expected Obama to nominate an Interior Secretary in the mold of Bruce Babbitt from the Clinton Administration. My hopes got even higher when rumors started circulating that he was seriously considering Rep. Raul Grijalva of Arizona for the post. Grijalva is a longtime champion for wildlife and wild lands so things were looking up indeed. Imagine my shock when Obama chose a freaking RANCHER, Ken Salazar, as Interior Secretary. You know the guy that showed up at the press conference where his nomination was announced in a freaking cowboy hat! This was my first inkling that something was not right with this administration when it came to the environment and wildlife. Salazar proceeded to adopt the vast majority of Bush Administration Interior policies and promptly delisted the gray wolf from the Endangered Species list in the Northern Rocky Mountain states. This led to the wolf hating states of Idaho and Montana immediately initiating wolf killing seasons in 2009. The killing was stopped when a federal judge put the wolf back on the ESA list.

Not to be deterred, scheming Republicans and “Democrats” like Jon Tester of Montana (also a rancher) decided to try to find a way around the court ruling by slipping a “rider” into a must pass budget bill in 2011 that would remove wolves in Montana and Idaho from the ESA list and authorize all but a token population of 150 to be killed. Our president signed this bill including the “rider” thus spiting right in the face of one of the groups that supported him the most vigorously. This was supposedly done to save the seat of the fake “Democrat” Sen. Jon Tester of Montana, because the only way to get elected in these states is to show how much more you hate wolves than your opponent. Idaho and Montana soon picked up right where they left off and implemented even more extreme killing seasons. Salazar and Fish and Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe then made a secret deal with another wolf hating state, Wyoming, that allows for wolves to be killed by any method, at anytime, in 80 percent of that state. The rest of the state, near Yellowstone National Park, would have a “quota.” The killing in these states have led to the death of well over a thousand wolves including numerous radio collared wolves from Yellowstone.

Then to add insult to injury in late 2011, Salazar announced that gray wolves in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan were to be removed from the ESA list at the beginning of 2012. And to the shock of no one Wisconsin and Minnesota initiated plans for killing seasons immediately. In the case of Wisconsin legislation was introduced the same day that wolves were officially delisted. This led to over a 500 Great Lakes wolves being killed in Wisconsin and Minnesota at the end of 2012. This does not include the hundreds killed by the Wildlife Services assassins. Michigan jumped on the wolf killing bandwagon in 2013 and want to start their slaughter in the fall.

The above is bad enough right? But it is not the end. Even after all of the disappointments the Obama Administration delivered in terms of wolves and other environmental issues, he again garnered the support of environmentalists and wildlife advocates, such as myself, because the alternative was unfathomable. I also held out hope that with reelection and the rumored resignation of “Cowboy” Ken Salazar, Obama would have learned his lesson and nominated a much more reasonable Interior Secretary that would put a stop to the insanity that Salazar caused and Obama allowed to happen. Even though Rep. Grijalva again had massive support from environmentalists and wildlife advocates, Obama again ignored us and nominated former banking executive and CEO of outdoor retailer REI, Sally Jewell. I figured that at least she wasn’t a rancher and seemed to be a reasonable choice for the position. Apparently I was wrong.

Not content spitting in the faces of environmental advocates for the past four years, the Obama Administration announced yesterday that all remaining protections for the gray wolf are to be removed in the United States with the exception of the severely endangered Mexican Gray Wolves in Arizona and New Mexico. How generous.

Thank you President Obama for spitting in the face of those that supported you once again. I ask, what did we do to make you hate us so much? Better yet, why do you hate wolves so much? Are you trying to pander to the yokels in the West and places like Northern Wisconsin that would never support you anyway? I didn’t vote for this, and I doubt the millions of others that voted for you did either. You won’t stand up to the Teahadist bullies that attack you each and every day, but you have no problem offending those that worked hard to get you elected? Why is that? The gray wolf is not “recovered.” Not even close. So why is the federal government washing their hands and turning over their “management” to the states knowing full well that the states are already waging and all out war against this species.

If you are like me and outraged at this administration please let them know.

Then contact the Department of Interior and let them know what you think about their war against wolves:

Mailing Address:
Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, N.W.
Washington DC 20240

Phone: (202) 208-3100
E-Mail: feedback@ios.doi.gov
Web: Feedback form

We need to remind President Obama WHY we voted for him and make it very clear that we did not vote for this.

And while I am not a big fan of internet petitions because they are dubious at best for being effective this one is legitimate in my view. Please sign:

Protect America’s Wolves!

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 responses to “This Is Not What I Voted For…….

1. Justin Forte

June 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Impeach Barack “The Other Sarah Palin” Obama!

2. rali74

June 8, 2013 at 8:46 pm

The thing is that nitwit Palin knows exactly what she is doing, I don’t Obama has a clue. He is from an urban background and knows nothing about wildlife or wild lands and believes everything people like Cowboy Ken tell him.

3. alice miller

June 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I don’t care..ignorance is no fucking excuse…He MUST know the debate going on and he should be paying attention and getting educated..he is intelligent.. I am pissed.

June 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I agree, but what will it take to reach him short of putting a damn billboard of dead wolves across from the White House. We need an “occupy” movement for wildlife without smelly hippies and hanger ons 🙂

4. carol carraturo

June 8, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I do not agree with the delisting of the wolves in the lower 48. Over 20% of Yellowstone wolves have been killed more than 1155 wolves 8 collared have been killed since April of 2011. Wolves face significant threats and only occupy 5% of their historic range. Maintaining federal protection is important to facilitate the recovery of the wolves. Wolves play an important role in maintaining healthy ecosystems and balance. Delisting wolves now prevents the role from being restored in large areas of the remaining wolf habitat. Disease will flurish throughout the elk and moose populations as the wolves only kill the weak. All other endangered species will die and rivers will be polluted causing fish to die. Folage will disappear and birds will die all will die without the wolf.

Delisting for greed and back door lobbyist is a disgrace. By delisting you are putting them in the hands of trophy hunters who use sadistic methods of cruelty is this what you call management? Dont delist the wolf in the lower 48.

5. Hiyori Takashi

June 8, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Everyone, want to save the wolves and wildlife from sadistic trophy hunters and other people who wants to do them harm? Sign this petition and then share it. Even forward the petition like letter to obama and state officials and those who are also in office! Lets start the license to save our animals!

6. Wolf is my Soul

June 9, 2013 at 3:05 am

Reblogged this on Carinas space and commented:
    I, too, am deeply disappointed in Barack Obama and his administration, for all the same reasons listed in this article. Obama has turned out to be someone completely different than I thought initially. 😦

7. Patricia Lowry

June 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Don’t bother sending an email to Obama or any of the other political puppets. They don’t care what you think or care about. They only care about the money that rolls in from the NRA and other corporate entities. When will Americans stop making excuses for Obama and finally see that signing all of the petitions and writing all of the letters and emails is futile? Unless Americans get serious about making real changes to our political system through civil disobedience, voting for third party candidates and refusing to pay taxes, nothing will be done. The Occupy Movement was a step in the right direction, but it ended to soon. The first step is to wake up and stop trying to convince yourself that these politicians care about your opinions because they don’t.

One other point, the NSA spying and surveillance program is a serious threat to our personal freedoms and democracy (what’s left of it) and should infuriate every American citizen. It doesn’t matter if your conversations seem mundane to you because the point here is that no government agency should have the right to listen or read your communications with anyone else. How can this action be trivialized? No wonder we have absolutely no power to control our political system; our political system controls us. By the way, the U.S. government can now legally assassinate U.S. citizens. Scary.

June 9, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I guess this is one point that we will have to disagree on. I just don’t believe that American citizens are having all of their communications listened to. Are some being monitored for making suspicious calls to known terrorists? Probably, I just cannot see the government wasting their time monitoring everything that is said or done. I just can’t see it. As for killing U.S. citizens, as far as i am concerned once you denounce your own country and pick up arms against us I really don’t care what happens to you. It is one thing to do a we are doing and protest, but it is quite another to be picking up arms and directing attacks against you, me, and every other American citizen. They will get no sympathy from me. I’m sorry if that bothers anyone but I cannot sympathize with those that want to kill me for what I do or don’t believe.

June 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Totally agreed with the points you made. We really need to make our voices heard far & wide.

• Sandra McGee

June 10, 2013 at 9:11 am

Patricia, I totally agree with you, I’ve been trying to get folks to get serious about making REAL changes. People are so into trying to just make it – pay their bills, etc. I to am very disappointed in President Obama, he could of done some great things. Instead he choose the road to money. I, as I have said before – I am willing to go out & disrupt the hunters & their leg hold traps. I don’t get any response from anyone who is willing to go out into the field & do that. Listen, we have to take this war on wolves a few steps further. Writing e-mails, sending letters, making phone calls obviously does NOT work. These people in Washington don’t care about what we want or think. We do live in very scary times.

June 10, 2013 at 11:25 am

Sandra, I just wanted to make you aware that Patricia did not write this column, I did. I was expressing my own views and I do not want to speak for Patricia in terms of the politics involved. I am sure she does agree with me regarding how Obama had treated wildlife.

• Kyuubi

June 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Then perhaps, we need to outsmart the hunters and other people who wants to harm our wildlife. I’m all for a little sabotage of the hunter’s cars, guns and so on. After all… we need to knock down these hunters, ranchers etc. Why don’t we set traps for them instead?

8. Rachel

June 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm

It was un clear as to who wrote this column?
    Rachel

June 9, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I wrote the column. Why?

9. laina

June 10, 2013 at 11:38 am

Even though I campaigned for him, I’m not all that surprised. Many saw what they wanted to see. He’s pretty much the same as when he ran. The question was, and still is, what was the alternative?