Natural Resources Board Ignored Massive Public Opposition to Wolf Kill Quota

03 Jul

800px-Wikinews_Breaking_News

We knew that the Natural Resources Board and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources care nothing about public opinion regarding their reckless wolf slaughter plans, but now we know exactly how much they ignored us. Not only did a Humane Society of the United States statewide poll show that 81 percent of those polled in Wisconsin disapprove of a wolf hunt, the NRB also received 1439 letters opposed to their wolf kill quota and ZERO supporting it. Let me repeat that again. The NRB received 1439 letters opposed to the quota and ZERO supporting it.

And we all know what happened next. The NRB rubber stamped the quota and one board member even said that “God” approved of it. This is what fascism looks like ladies and gentlemen. One board member even told wildlife advocates after the meeting that they had to approve the quota or “Walker would shut them down.” So much for an “independent” board overseeing these issues in the state. Good job Wisconsin you elect a narcissistic and vindictive ideologue collage dropout as governor and this is what we get. Not only do the citizens of the state suffer, but everything from the air we breathe, to the water we drink, to the wildlife all suffer at the hands of this pseudo-tyrant and his overloads. Will the citizens of this state wake up and dethrone this guy in 2014? If they do not we deserve exactly what we get.

Back to the topic at hand. Here is the email that a wildlife advocate received from a DNR representative in response to an open records request about the public input at the NRB meeting:

In response to your open records request here is the information you requested:

Of the written comments received on June item 3B3, approximately 1439 opposed (approx. 1,400 HSUS of WI) and 0 supported the wolf hunt and trapping season.  No written comments were in support of the wolf harvest quota and number of licenses to issue for the 2013-2014 season.

For public appearances, the Board received written talking points/handouts as follows:  5 in support of the department’s recommendations and some with requests for higher kill and 8 against the wolf hunt, harvest quota, and # of licensees.  1 comment in opposition included a petition for the petitioning organization to be included on the Wolf Advisory Committee.

Lauren C Fiecko
Executive Staff Assistant Administration
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

This is what Wisconsin “democracy” looks like under the Walker regime. The voice of the people mean absolutely nothing to Scot Walker, the DNR, and the NRB. Notice how they have to make sure to note that 1400 of the comments were sent by citizens via the HSUS like that makes a difference? We are looking at any and every avenue to expose and challenge these people, but the best judge is the court of public opinion. Again please share this data far and wide and continue to write letters to your local newspapers, the DNR, and NRB voicing your outrage that the will of the people is again being ignored in favor of a vocal minority of anti-wolf special interests.

Tags: ,

18 responses to “Natural Resources Board Ignored Massive Public Opposition to Wolf Kill Quota

1. L

July 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm

How many media outlets in the state have you sent his information to?

July 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I just got it.

2. Darlene York-Day

July 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm

The Masacre of Wolves needs to stop, now!
    How dare any State allow the mass murder.
    of these intelligent beings!! How dare you
    compensate the perpetrators of Mass Food
    Production.. Life better start to matter- all
    Life. Leave Wolves alone and respect the
    lives of the ones you mass produce to Kill!
    The entire US mass production of animals
    for Slaughter needs to change- Great Shame
    on our Great Nation…

3. Patty Maringer-Fitzpatrick

July 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm

We need to protest at their next meeting. The public needs to hear and see what they are doing. Patty Friends of the Wisconsin Wolf

4. Julia Jester

July 4, 2013 at 3:19 am

These wolves belong to all of us. They didn’t ask me if they could kill my wolves. I guess a law suit would change their minds.We can file a class action law suit against the state and that would get their attention!!!!

5. Wolf is my Soul

July 4, 2013 at 5:28 am

Reblogged this on Carinas space.

July 4, 2013 at 9:48 am

We are all caught in a foot hold trap here in WI and seem unable to free ourselves from Walker. My husband & I went to the International Wolf Center in Ely, MN yesterday. They have a large display of how Christian Europeans brought their hatred of wolves to America based on their faith. I’m sure the tea party Christians who run this state probably think it’s God’s work to kill wolves. Also of interest to me @ the wolf center was the fact 20-30% of wolves are lone wolves & don’t belong to a pack. They also said wolves were Federally delisted to focus attention on the Red Wolf who is even more endangered, but this is kind of a waste because there are very few pure red wolves in America & they only live in North Carolina. Those wolves are not likely to remain pure as they breed quite readily with coyotes. So there you have it-another reason for the Feds to try to wipe out the coyotes.

• Wolf is my Soul

July 7, 2013 at 6:44 am

I’ve read arguments before about the grey wolf not being native to America, but instead “immigrants” crossed over from Canada. The Red Wolf you refer to, is that the same as the Timber Wolf? I agree that is was the early Europeans who brought the fear and hatred of wolves with them to the New Country. Fear of wolves was very real in oldern European times when villages were small and far apart and the wolves many, many more than today. But that was a very long time ago and should have no bearing on wolf and coyote management today, when the wild canids have all the odds stacked up against them. I feel pro-wolfers are fighting a losing battle, even in my own country. I don’t think mankind will be aware of the ongoing great loss of biodiversity on our planet until it is too late. Thank you for commenting Diane! It’s always nice to hear your thoughts and share knowledge.

July 7, 2013 at 9:09 am

Dear wolf is my soul, I want to learn more about wildlife & how I can help. WI Willd Ethic is the 1st group I have found committed to wildlife in WI & I want to spread the word, but I am somewhat constrained. I live in an area where 90% of the population makes it’s living in dairy, beef & crops including myself. I am passionately anti-hunting & have been all my life. I was vegetarian from age 13-21 (much to the horror of my parents) when I married my carnivore husband thinking I could change him. The best I can do re: meat is to prepare chicken, fish & turkey & no red meat..I have no time or energy to prepare 2 separate meals-vegetarian & meat meals. I want to spread the good word, but I lack credibility if I direct people to a “radical” mindset in an organization i.e. vegetarian or vegan. This is not my mindset, but it is of most everyone in these parts. My goals are pure & that is to try to enlighten people hunting for sport & trapping is wrong. I feel it is my duty on earth to try to get people to understand all of the creatures we inhabit this earth with feel joy, pain, sorrow (all the things humans feel) ; it is our responsibility to treat all life as sacred. I need to educate myself in order to be effective, so sometime i will write things that seem a bit naive. I want to learn so I can be effective.

July 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

In response to the Red Wolf question, the red wolf is a separate species of wolf which formerly inhabited a large portion of the Southern USA but was also wiped out in the same insane onslaught of predator destruction as the gray wolf or timber wolf and eagles. The red wolf is very similar in size & appearance to the coyote so therefore 20 pure red wolves were saved in captivity & now the Feds are trying to establish them in N. Carolina. Keeping the red wolf pure is very difficult as they readily breed with coyotes.

6. Exposing the Big Game

July 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

Reblogged this on Exposing the Big Game.

7. Buddy2Blogger

July 4, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Reblogged this on Sherlockian's Blog.

8. laina

July 4, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for this information on the letters opposed.

9. Tanya Kiesha

July 5, 2013 at 12:24 am

Thanks for this post and the info! All animal lovers need to be aware of this.

July 6, 2013 at 7:47 am

I am very very said this morning. We lost a beloved member of our family during the night-our pet dog. She was alot of dog to love…over 100#. She had increased weakness in her legs & hip over the past year-had been treated for Lymes, but to no avail. We could tell yesterday pm she might not make it through the weekend & called all family members. We stayed with her until 11:30 last night. She knew we we there & lifted her front paw to each of us so we would hold her paw as she always liked. We could tell she was a little afraid, but our hugs & tears helped her to relax. We found her @ 5:30 am. It appears she passed away shorly after we left. Her love for us was deep & unconditional, so was our love for her. She was around 12 years old; our time with her was too short! There has to be a creator because he/she made her… I hope I reunite with her somehow, somewhere, somday. She resembled a light colored wolf-if only these hunters/trappers & politicians could open their hearts & feel love..maybe they would be capable of giving love & kindness.

• Nancy

July 6, 2013 at 11:22 am

Dear Diane, I’m so sorry for your loss I know exactly how you feel we lost our husky mix July 11th I brought her home from the shelter she was four and a half she was 15 when she passed and we all miss Amber very much including our dog and cat. You’re right there life is to short and it’s sad so many people just can’t seem to understand about their compassion and love towards us, and how they’re always there ready to give. It’s a shame these people can’t have the ability to love the way all animals do, the world would be a better place.

• Nancy

July 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Sorry that supposed to say June 11th but it seems like yesterday…

July 7, 2013 at 8:32 am

Nancy, Thank you for sharing your grief with me. I miss her even more today than yesterday.